RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

awd or fwd

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-15, 06:06 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default awd or fwd

Saw an article about this and it said that there is a difference between awd with 4 season tires and fwd with winter tires in snow. fwd was much better! Also pointed out the cost between the two and how much money you saved by doing this, that is for the "drives". Then for the tires. When you think about it in the long run you save quite a bit. Only concern is the resale because so many people think that awd is always better in the snow. I also know that you can get a used fwd cheaper by more than the difference of the two drives new here in New England.
Old 11-28-15, 08:01 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

AWD isn't just for snow. Acceleration is better from a stop when the roads are wet. Plus you can still put snow tires on AWD. Like you pointed out, resale on AWD is easier in the northeast. Good luck finding FWD.
Old 11-28-15, 08:36 AM
Smoke2071
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife loves her AWD and we hardly ever see snow, rain on the other hand...
Old 11-28-15, 08:44 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
AWD isn't just for snow. Acceleration is better from a stop when the roads are wet. Plus you can still put snow tires on AWD. Like you pointed out, resale on AWD is easier in the northeast. Good luck finding FWD.
Anita,

Your right. Looking at cars.com
In NY/NJ area less than 2% (9/591) of the used RX350s are FWD.

Here in Florida the opposite is true. 84% (419/499) of used RX350s are FWD.

Last edited by FLYCT; 11-28-15 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-28-15, 08:51 AM
gveng
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hovbuild
Saw an article about this and it said that there is a difference between awd with 4 season tires and fwd with winter tires in snow. fwd was much better! Also pointed out the cost between the two and how much money you saved by doing this, that is for the "drives". Then for the tires. When you think about it in the long run you save quite a bit. Only concern is the resale because so many people think that awd is always better in the snow. I also know that you can get a used fwd cheaper by more than the difference of the two drives new here in New England.
No offense but that sounds like the dumbest article ever.
Old 11-28-15, 09:21 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Here a link to the Michelin video showing that FWD with winter tires smokes AWD with all season tires on stopping distance and hangling in the winter. AWD even with all season tires, out accelerates FWD with snow tires. There is a more detailed Michelin written study on this somewhere. Overall it says that you are safer and can expect better performance with winter tires on a FWD vehicle. It's not AWD or FWD that's the key however! The key is all season tires vs winter tires!

Old 11-28-15, 12:15 PM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now lets do the math! You want to keep a car for 10 years and put 120 thousand miles on it. You get the same car for 4500 less than the all wheel. If you buy one set of winter titres and one sets of regular tires it would be about 2000 dollars. If you but two sets of all season ( I am not including the one set you get with the new car) same amount. Your 4500 to the plus, for not having better acceleration in snow better everything else in the winter. Also you could get summer performance tires and have a blast Forget resale value but taking 4500 and investing it in the 10 year life of the car would almost double it. Food for thought.
I owned a construction business for a long long time and the thought of not getting a 4x4 never entered my mind, but since I am not driving my equipment or grocery getter through muddy, snowy and rough terrain anymore I can see the reality in a car that was not intended for off road to scrap the AWD system and put the saving in my pocket.
Old 11-28-15, 08:19 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

If you live in a region with hardly any ice or snow then a FWD with good all-season tires would work just fine in my opinion.

However, if you want the best traction available which also helps with braking then I would recommend the AWD model over the FWD.

Both have their pro's and con's which a buyer have to determine is the best for them.

Some may value fuel economy over better traction or vise versa.

I personally only buy AWD SUV/crossovers even though I live in Georgia and have been luckily enough to be able to navigate through the last few ice storms without much problems here in Atlanta that grounded a lot of other drivers in my area.

FYI, tires is what really matters.

A FWD with snow tires would actually have better ice traction then a AWD with only All-season tires.
Old 11-28-15, 08:46 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

If you live in California and you have reason to drive in the Sierra Nevada mountain passes, you know that chains (traction devices) are required on 2WD vehicles when snow coats the road. You also know that these chains must be installed in the rain and slush on the shoulder. Picture yourself kneeling in slush trying to install chains. You can hire someone to do this for you, loggers do this in the winter. You also know that CalTrans will wave you thru the chain-control station with AWD with all season tires (M+S). In conclusion, even though FWD with winter tires may be better in some respects, my money's on AWD in the mountains in the winter. Also, I agree with the person that likes AWD in the rain. No spinning tires accelerating from a red light. It's amazing how slippery a wet road can be.
Ray A.
Old 02-13-16, 07:44 AM
Savnout
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AWD vs FWD vs 4x4

FWD is only front wheels...limited slip still apply. AWD is a 4 wheel system usually 80/20 (rear to front) then when the computer gets wheel spin info from a speed sensor from one of the wheels the TRANSFER CASE behind the transmission (all AWD and 4x4 trucks have a TC) kicks in and applys more power to the front wheels as to give more traction to the vehicle.
Some AWD systems are rear wheel drives until transfer case gives power to front wheels.
4x4's are better in that you can be in 2 wheel mode (rear wheels) then select 4 wheel mode HI ( is when all 4 wheels have power with limited slip) and 4wh Low is low geared locked up spinning. My jeep has 4x4 and Part Time 4x4 which is not good to leave on, but it has all 4 wheels spinning in a high gear for highway, but w/o limited slip..so when you take turns your tires are getting grinded away...not good to be in 4PT for long.

I believe the AWD system in my 330 is 80 in rear and 20 upfront... And computer tells transfer case to increase power to front wheels as needed..or it might be a 50/50 split system but not sure. I know here in Ohio it does quite well with these Goodyear RSA's all season..gets right up our steep driveway when snow covered.

Our Jeep Cherokee does better tho...but all I have to do us slip it into 4 wheel Low and away I go.

Sav
Old 02-13-16, 02:05 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Anita, Your right. Looking at cars.com In NY/NJ area less than 2% (9/591) of the used RX350s are FWD. Here in Florida the opposite is true. 84% (419/499) of used RX350s are FWD.
The same is true here in AZ. There are very few 10+ AWDs. Far more 2RXs seem to have come with AWD than 3RXs. One thing a wholesaler told me once is they make far more on AWDs in other states, so if they come across one, they sell them in other states. Seems to hold fairly true. Almost all AWDs I saw, which weren't many had front license plates and were taken on trade directly. We don't have front plates in AZ, so cars from other states really stand out on our lots. Our bumpers aren't even drilled for front plates.

I would have picked up an AWD, had I been able to find one in the time frame I was searching and found a nice one. I only saw one and it was smoked in and showed other signs of carelessness, so I passed. The same was true with the MDXs I looked at. As soon as the cheaper FWD option was provided, the AWD market shrunk.