Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick totally redesigns the 2025 Enclave.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-24, 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
How long are you going to keep it? No more than 4-5 years from what I have seen.
Probably longer than that this time.......for a number of reasons. A lot depends on what Buick itself is going to be like in the future. Right now, it's probably the most iffy and questionable of all the GM divisions, at least in the American market, although sales showed a sharp ride last year, which I did a thread on.

Old 05-11-24, 07:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't know this for a fact because I'm not an electrical engineer, but I have heard from more than one source (including our condo-maintenance man) that fast-chargers like that, while convenient when you don't have a lot of time to wait, can degrade and shorten battery life.
your condo maintenance man huh? i've read and watched loads of reports of taxi drivers doing fast charging once or twice a DAY and using EVs for YEARS. yes, after several years they may need to replace the battery, but with all the gas savings and taxi driving income, they can afford it. anyway, that kind of usage is obviously VASTLY more than typical and even more so than charging you would do.

Yes, for the last few years, 100-120 miles a week is about average (sometimes more)...but, unlike where you live in Florida, we do get moderately cold weather in the winter (sometimes severe cold for a few days) and occasional snowstorms, which drastically shortens cruising-range.
yes, cold does lower range, but you'd still be absolutely fine. maybe charge twice a week during the coldest weather. this report shows someone concerned with an ioniq 5 in VERY cold weather doing a 110mi. trip for work on the same day. the issue for them is it's all highway and they need to slow down a bit, maybe not crank the cabin heating as much, and it's easily doable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ioniq5/s/vmfx7gx4YP
Old 05-11-24, 07:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,443 Posts

but back to the enclave.

seems that since buick does and promotes quiet cars, an ev would be a natural fit.

take the ultium platform (blazer, lyrid, prolog etc.) and make an electric enclave. the issue probably is that the ultium platform is too expensive.
Old 05-11-24, 08:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
seems that since buick does and promotes quiet cars, an ev would be a natural fit.
What Buick REALLY needs to do, IMHO, is to offer hybrid versions of their present models in the American market, but nobody seems to be able to convince Mary Barra of that. I'd probably take a new Hybrid Encore GX home tomorrow if they were available.

but back to the enclave.
Unfortunately, road-test videos/reviews are apparantly not yet available, but here's another good video showing close-ups of the Avenir and ST interiors.

​​​​​​​
Old 05-11-24, 09:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,624 Likes on 1,886 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
your condo maintenance man huh?
I mean, if he can paint trim and unclog a toilet he must have special insight into the charging cycles and degradation of lithium ion batteries, right? lol
Old 05-11-24, 01:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I mean, if he can paint trim and unclog a toilet he must have special insight into the charging cycles and degradation of lithium ion batteries, right? lol

Wrong. He does a LOT more than that. His company (which we contract with) has some electric vehicles.
Old 05-11-24, 05:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Wrong. He does a LOT more than that. His company (which we contract with) has some electric vehicles.
He's a maintenance man lol, I deal with them all the time since I own a company that manages property, I employ people like him to maintain condo associations like yours. He has zero insight into electric cars, electrical engineering, battery technology. Zero, he's a laborer...

His company having electric vehicles again means nothing.

Next you're going to tell me I should discuss cancer treatment with my painter lol. "He knows a guy who had cancer".... or maybe I should get some tax advice from my landscaper...because he pays taxes!

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-11-24 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-11-24, 09:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

He's a maintenance man lol, I deal with them all the time since I own a company that manages property, I employ people like him to maintain condo associations like yours. He has zero insight into electric cars, electrical engineering, battery technology. Zero, he's a laborer...
With all due respect, you don't know **** about this guy. You've never met him, spoken to him, or had anything to do with him. The more you talk about him, the further off you get.

So, have a nice evening.

Old 05-11-24, 09:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Okay, he’s just fixing up condos for fun then, in between designing rocket ships.
Old 05-11-24, 09:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Okay, he’s just fixing up condos for fun then, in between designing rocket ships.
The point is, Steve, I don't pass judgement on people in your life I have never met. That's all.

I have enough problems just trying to figure out this crazy auto market today as it is LOL.
Old 05-11-24, 10:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No judgement at all, it’s just preposterous that anybody would think somebody being a condo maintenance man gives them any special insight into the best charging practices for EVs.
Old 05-12-24, 11:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the Enclave.....if Buick follows through on their (supposed) plans, the next-generation Enclave will be a BEV. Buick has already announced that the current Envista will be the last new ICE vehicle-line they introduce in the U.S.....although new ICE versions of existing models will continue to be built until the brand goes all-BEV by 2030.

I just wish they had the insight to build hybrid models...but that doesn't seem to be on the radar. I'm not that big a fan of Toyota overall, but that's one thing the company got right.....they DO produce hybrids for customers who went them.
Old 05-12-24, 02:43 PM
bkowa092
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

People are going to be lining up to purchase this! Just like all new Buicks
Old 05-12-24, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bkowa092
People are going to be lining up to purchase this! Just like all new Buicks

There is some truth to that. Buick sales in the U.S. had been falling, but they took a BIG jump last year....from 102K to 166K.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...revious%20year.