Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick totally redesigns the 2025 Enclave.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 07:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Mercedes are glass, Chrysler are glass, BMW are glass.
oh wow. I didn’t know
Old 05-06-24, 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

GM doesn't use glass on all screens I am pretty sure. The screens in the Tahoes and Suburbans I have driven are not glass.
GM's older dash-screens are plastic. The latest ones are glass......at least according to the Design Manager.

https://electrek.co/2020/07/20/exclu...nster-display/

We spoke with Bill Thompson, the senior design manager for UI at General Motors, about how the Cadillac Lyriq’s display will signal how the company handles digital dashboards for all its upcoming EVs. GM shared the first photo of the Lyriq’s screen, revealing a single 33-inch piece of curved glass in front of the driver.
Old 05-06-24, 09:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,923 Posts

I don't think all of them are glass, the Tahoes and Suburbans I have driven are all latest models and had plastic screens. Sure on Cadillacs they are glass...
Old 05-07-24, 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think all of them are glass, the Tahoes and Suburbans I have driven are all latest models and had plastic screens. Sure on Cadillacs they are glass...

Many reviewers have not mentioned glass vs. plastic for the screen, but, according to this lady, even the new entry-level GM screens are glass, not plastic. (advance the video to 4:50).

That reminds me....next time I'm at the Buick shop, I'll have to check that out myself. I would have done so at the auto show, but health issues kept me away this year.

Old 05-07-24, 04:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That may be true of the new Buick screens but I don’t think it’s safe to say all GM screens are glass
Old 05-07-24, 09:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That may be true of the new Buick screens but I don’t think it’s safe to say all GM screens are glass

Like I said, next time I'm at the local GM dealership I use, I'll check out all three.....the Chevy, Buick, and GMC screens. It handles all three brands.

Given the price of your S-class, I wouldn't be surprised if it uses real glass instead of plastic.
Old 05-08-24, 05:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This new Avenir interior could (?) be a contender for one of Ward's Ten Best for 2025......we'll wait and see.

Old 05-08-24, 05:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like I said, next time I'm at the local GM dealership I use, I'll check out all three.....the Chevy, Buick, and GMC screens. It handles all three brands.

Given the price of your S-class, I wouldn't be surprised if it uses real glass instead of plastic.
The screens in the S Class are real glass
Old 05-09-24, 08:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,511 Posts

I like everything in the interior aside from the screens.
i find the interior to be very generic except that hideously shaped screen.

I think the new Avenir version will win over some former Cadillac XT5/XT6 owners. I know that Cadillacs, in general, for the money, do not impress me.
i think this competes with palisade and grand highlander, not a cadillac.

I cannot practically own a BEV.
how many miles do you do a week or month? i suspect a bev would work out great for you even without charge at home. you'd 'fill up' now and then, just like you do with gas today.

This thread got hijacked into a debate about tires.
respectfully, it wasn't a debate, it was people sincerely trying to educate you about tire dimension values/ratios. if you'd just open your mind a bit, some good people here are trying to help you.

anyway, as of right now i think this new enclave is a dud. nothing special about it at all. i guess i'll watch the 'Expert' video though, to be educated.
Old 05-09-24, 10:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i find the interior to be very generic except that hideously shaped screen.

Although they won't all necessarily have the same shape, those wide dash-screens, unfortunately, seem to be the wave of the future. Not my favorite, either, but I think we are gong to have to live with it if we want new vehicles.

i think this competes with palisade and grand highlander, not a cadillac.
I'll have to save final comment for an inspection myself, but, from the images/videos and descriptions, it seems at least Cadillac-grade or better. But, but to give credit where it is due, Cadillac itself did an excellent job on the latest Escalade interior, and GMC on the Yukon Denali.

how many miles do you do a week or month? i suspect a bev would work out great for you even without charge at home. you'd 'fill up' now and then, just like you do with gas today.
My local GM dealership (supposedly) offers fee recharges to BEV customers (mostly the Chevy Bolt and Bolt EUV), but I wouldn't bank on that continuing much longer, since the dealership itself now has new ownership....the previous owner retired.

respectfully, it wasn't a debate, it was people sincerely trying to educate you about tire dimension values/ratios. if you'd just open your mind a bit, some good people here are trying to help you.
Well, I agree with some of what they said about sidewall-heights vs. wheel-sizes and suspension-calibrations.....that wasn't really the issue with me. If and when my own-test-drive and ownership experience shows me that certain wheel-sizes and suspension combinations are comfortable and some aren't (or that some are comfortable only under certain conditions), I'm going to go with experience has shown me.......that's just common sense.

anyway, as of right now i think this new enclave is a dud. nothing special about it at all. i guess i'll watch the 'Expert' video though, to be educated.
As good as Alex is (and IMO he is among the best), there's still no real substitute for a personal inspection and test-drive.
Old 05-09-24, 07:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,511 Posts

My local GM dealership (supposedly) offers fee recharges to BEV customers (mostly the Chevy Bolt and Bolt EUV), but I wouldn't bank on that continuing much longer, since the dealership itself now has new ownership....the previous owner retired.
all dealers need at least one EV charging station. my dealer has a chargepoint one, but it's not that fast from my one experience with it.

for you though, there must be high speed (DC) charging stations all around you. and although you didn't answer my question, i suspect you do less than 100 mi. a week. so you'd be looking at charging every other week maybe, and with a dc fast charger, half hour or less (in other words, no biggie).

Well, I agree with some of what they said about sidewall-heights vs. wheel-sizes and suspension-calibrations
the key point was that aspect ratio (45, 55, etc.) is not a fixed value across tires even with same diameter wheel sizes, because it's sidewall height is a formula of the tire WIDTH and the aspect ratio so a 225/45-18 has a much smaller sidewall than a 275/45/-18.
Old 05-09-24, 08:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My neighbor with the Ioniq 5 doesn't bother using her Level 2 charger, she drives up once every other week or so and uses the Electrify America charger a few minutes away for free. Sits there for 20 minutes.
Old 05-09-24, 08:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My neighbor with the Ioniq 5 doesn't bother using her Level 2 charger, she drives up once every other week or so and uses the Electrify America charger a few minutes away for free. Sits there for 20 minutes.

I don't know this for a fact because I'm not an electrical engineer, but I have heard from more than one source (including our condo-maintenance man) that fast-chargers like that, while convenient when you don't have a lot of time to wait, can degrade and shorten battery life.
Old 05-09-24, 08:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
for you though, there must be high speed (DC) charging stations all around you. and although you didn't answer my question, i suspect you do less than 100 mi. a week. so you'd be looking at charging every other week maybe, and with a dc fast charger, half hour or less (in other words, no biggie).
Yes, for the last few years, 100-120 miles a week is about average (sometimes more)...but, unlike where you live in Florida, we do get moderately cold weather in the winter (sometimes severe cold for a few days) and occasional snowstorms, which drastically shortens cruising-range.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-09-24 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-09-24, 08:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know this for a fact because I'm not an electrical engineer, but I have heard from more than one source (including our condo-maintenance man) that fast-chargers like that, while convenient when you don't have a lot of time to wait, can degrade and shorten battery life.
How long are you going to keep it? No more than 4-5 years from what I have seen. Its a non issue.

Yes, for the last few years, 100-120 miles a week is about average (sometimes more)...but, unlike where you live in Florida, we do get moderately cold weather in the winter (sometimes severe cold for a few days) and occasional snowstorms, which drastically shortens cruising-range.
Even if you lost 25% range in the winter it still wouldn't matter.

Quick Reply: Buick totally redesigns the 2025 Enclave.