Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick totally redesigns the 2025 Enclave.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 04:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Your experience tells you that sidewall height of a tire with a 45 aspect ratio is always the same regardless of the width of the tire?

You are entitled to your own opinion not your own facts.
Well no, he already admitted it's not always the same:
Originally Posted by mmarshall
A few manufacturers can do what I call comfortable-riding vehicles with 45s (and an older BMW 330i I sampled was comfortable even with 35s)..but most cannot.
Old 05-06-24, 05:48 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 205 Posts

Well, you can toss around all the numbers you want

It's called math. When one understands what an aspect ratio actually is, one can make informed comparisons between very different tires.

In general, all else equal, at least as far as the tires are concerned, the lower the profile, the harder the tread compound, and the colder the tire-temperature, the firmer/noisier the ride over bumps, and the more crisp and immediate the steering response, and the worse the traction on wet/slick roads is going to be.
That's the point you repeatedly refuse to acknowledge. All else is NOT equal. The aspect ratio (there's the math bit) determines the sidewall height in proportion to the tire width. It is not a measurement on its own. That is why the 40-profile tires I have on the Q7 have exactly the same amount of sidewall as the 50-profile on your Lacrosse, and ride very comfortably despite being "low profile". It's because they are wider, and therefore taller at the same aspect ratio. Even though I haven't shared the section width in this thread, anyone who understands tire measurements knows exactly what it is.
Old 05-06-24, 06:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Ok but given your history with Buicks and how Buick tends to tune its suspension firmness, why do you not have confidence that they can produce a car with 45 series tires which will still be comfortable?
The Verano I had was comfortable with 45s when the tires and shocks were warm...but fairly stiff in the winter.
Old 05-06-24, 10:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,653 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Well no, he already admitted it's not always the same:
He said different manufacturers handle it better than others, he has not admitted that 45 series widewalls vary in thickness depending on the width of the tire.
Old 05-06-24, 10:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, here's one video on the new Enclave I've been waiting for......from the Expert himself, on the same show-floor. Tell 'Em, Alex.

Old 05-06-24, 11:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Very nice looking exterior, I'm personally meh on the interior. That big screen looks like a giant rear view mirror was plunked down on the dash to me. Didn't listen to any audio so maybe it's impressive technology wise.
Old 05-06-24, 02:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

@mmarshall I don’t think you see what SW and Geko are saying

Your ability to ignore being repeatedly shown to be wrong and to continue to gaslight and pretend you are right in the face of it with such unwavering confidence is truly impressive.

To cut through the gaslighting, nobody is saying higher profile tires don’t ride better than lower profile tires. We are saying that the aspect ratio of two tires being different doesn’t necessarily mean the thickness of their sidewalls are different, since aspect ratio is a ratio of sidewall height to tread width. Hence, two 45 series tires can have widely different sidewall thicknesses.
Your experience tells you that sidewall height of a tire with a 45 aspect ratio is always the same regardless of the width of the tire?

You are entitled to your own opinion not your own facts.
Originally Posted by geko29
It's called math. When one understands what an aspect ratio actually is, one can make informed comparisons between very different tires.

That's the point you repeatedly refuse to acknowledge. All else is NOT equal. The aspect ratio (there's the math bit) determines the sidewall height in proportion to the tire width. It is not a measurement on its own. That is why the 40-profile tires I have on the Q7 have exactly the same amount of sidewall as the 50-profile on your Lacrosse, and ride very comfortably despite being "low profile". It's because they are wider, and therefore taller at the same aspect ratio. Even though I haven't shared the section width in this thread, anyone who understands tire measurements knows exactly what it is.
He said different manufacturers handle it better than others, he has not admitted that 45 series widewalls vary in thickness depending on the width of the tire.
I agree with the both of you.

Here is an example of a 55 series tire for Corolla that has a smaller sidewall than a LX600 despite the Lexus having 50 series tires.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-06-24 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-06-24, 02:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly, sp in this case the 50 series tire on the 22s has a bigger sidewall than the 55 series tire on 16s.
Old 05-06-24, 06:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly, sp in this case the 50 series tire on the 22s has a bigger sidewall than the 55 series tire on 16s.
It’s something I never really think about. I also never really considered a large diameter has a longer rotation compared to a smaller diameter tire.

My Matrix has the 45s and they are the exact same height in inches as the LC500 35s tires.

anyways, we will see just how well this Buick will do. I don’t think Buick is worth as I’d rather just save some money and by the Chevrolet version.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-06-24 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-06-24, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
anyways, we will see just how well this Buick will do. I don’t think Buick is worth as I’d rather just save some money and by the Chevrolet version.
Agreed.....back on topic. This thread got hijacked into a debate about tires.

I'll respect your opinion on Chevrolet...but, generally, there are reasons why a Buick costs a more than an equivalent-platform Chevy. All else equal, you usually get more-effective sound deadening, somewhat better interiors, more standard features, and, IMO, more pleasure from driving them. You used to get a Cadillac-grade (same as Lexus) warranty, but unfortunately, the bean counters took that out several years ago...now it is the same as Chevy and GMC.
Old 05-06-24, 06:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This thread got hijacked into a debate about tires.
in which you fail to admit you were wrong. I agree with SW and Geko. You also have to consider how a car is designed, and LC500 was designed to ride well on 35s, a 55s or 60s tires just wouldn’t work. But 21’ wheels on my matrix is just dumb. Same sidewall height. My matrix is on the left, it has a very firm ride. And most don’t buy a car with 16” wheels and then jump to 21” wheels on their next car, so it’s hard for them to see the comparison

Let’s move on..

I am just not digging the screen. The switchgear for the buttons seems a step up over past GM switchgear. I will give Buick credit for the glossy exterior cladding The centre console is cool

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-06-24 at 07:34 PM. Reason: C
Old 05-06-24, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Let’s move on..

I am just not digging the screen. The switchgear for the buttons seems a step up over past GM switchgear. I will give Buick credit for the glossy exterior cladding
Like it or not, screens are more or less the wave of the future. I like the fact that GM at least uses glass for them, which is more durable and easier to clean than the ubiquitous clear plastic.
Old 05-06-24, 07:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

GM doesn't use glass on all screens I am pretty sure. The screens in the Tahoes and Suburbans I have driven are not glass.
Old 05-06-24, 07:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

GM doesn't use glass on all screens I am pretty sure. The screens in the Tahoes and Suburbans I have driven are not glass.
Who would use glass?
Old 05-06-24, 07:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Who would use glass?
Mercedes are glass, Chrysler are glass, BMW are glass.

Quick Reply: Buick totally redesigns the 2025 Enclave.