Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-24, 04:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,153 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No I had it towed to the shop that does my tires...the tires won't be in until Thursday which is annoying.

Sure wish it had a spare!
Do you have the ability to swap to a euro trunk config? My A8s have compact spares but if I want to I can swap in alternative panels to fit a full size spare with marginal loss of space, mostly would just sacrifice sound deadening......but if I lost a tire I would just tow it/go get my trailer so it's moot unless I am FAR away.
Old 02-27-24, 04:19 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No I had it towed to the shop that does my tires...the tires won't be in until Thursday which is annoying.

Sure wish it had a spare!
Tires? Are you getting all of them replaced?

My 3GS has dopey donut. I hated driving around on that while I waited for new tires. My old 2RX had a matching spare…
Old 02-27-24, 04:41 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

That reminds me, I need to get a donut and jack/wrench kit asap.

My car has runflats on the rear, but the Hyundai dealership I bought it from appears to have put non-RFT's on the front.

Eventually I'm going to go non-RFT all around. If I have a flat in town, I can just uber home and get my truck. If i'm on the road, it's less ideal.
Old 02-27-24, 04:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,427 Posts

i was thinking of switching from runflats to regular on lc500 when it comes time to replace... now i'm not so sure.
Old 02-27-24, 04:47 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I always switch out the run flats. Realistically, I'm going to get the car towed if there's a flat regardless of the situation.
Old 02-27-24, 04:52 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 242 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah hockey gear takes up a lot of space!

anyway, dare i suggest a lexus tx?
LOL dare you say it is right, not a chance. I would consider the LX because I really like the looks of them but my wife does not want to go back to Lexus anymore for some reason. Once she got a taste of the Euro cars and since ours haven’t had any problems (yet) she has no desire to go back.
Old 02-27-24, 05:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
LOL dare you say it is right, not a chance. I would consider the LX because I really like the looks of them but my wife does not want to go back to Lexus anymore for some reason. Once she got a taste of the Euro cars and since ours haven’t had any problems (yet) she has no desire to go back.
your wife has, uh, high standards.

but yeah, if you're looking at all those euro vehicles, a tx ain't gonna keep up, but if you're shlepping kids with hockey gear around and going on vacation, i'm sure it's fine.

don't snicker, have you considered an escalade or navigator? they're pretty nice these days!

Old 02-27-24, 05:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,589 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Do you have the ability to swap to a euro trunk config? My A8s have compact spares but if I want to I can swap in alternative panels to fit a full size spare with marginal loss of space, mostly would just sacrifice sound deadening......but if I lost a tire I would just tow it/go get my trailer so it's moot unless I am FAR away.
Even the euro spec has no spare!

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Tires? Are you getting all of them replaced?

My 3GS has dopey donut. I hated driving around on that while I waited for new tires. My old 2RX had a matching spare…
Yeah, I had replaced the two fronts last July, and now the rears are really close to the wear bars (they have 30k miles on them). They also don't make the same tire, they have replaced it with the Pirelli PZero A/S Plus 3. I'll at least get a road hazard refund for one of them. Guess I really am keeping this car now lol

i was thinking of switching from runflats to regular on lc500 when it comes time to replace... now i'm not so sure.
Ignoring what happened to the Pacifica, that was a fluke where I wouldn't have had 2 spares, this is the first unrepairable flat that I have had in 25 years. If it were just a nail I would have used the slime/inflator that I have but the sidewall has a huge gash in it, wouldn't have worked. Even if I had a donut spare I wouldn't drive it around on that for 3 days while I wait for the replacement tires, so really the only difference is the tow...which was free.

One other cool thing, I put the car in the transport suspension height for getting it on and off the flatbed without scraping, its amazing how high it foes! And it can be driven up to 25MPH like this...

Old 02-27-24, 05:17 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I've historically had really good luck with tires. With the exception of one blowout that happened on the highway(driving a truck with old tires that hadn't moved in years), the very few flats I've experienced have been in my driveway at home or the parking lot at work.

My pride tells me to get a spare tire kit, because I've always changed my own tires(and those of friends and coworkers), but the pragmatic in me says to just get a repair kit and pump, and sign up for AAA in the event the kit and pump aren't enough.
Old 02-27-24, 05:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
Yep, that's how it tends to go.
Old 02-27-24, 05:24 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 242 Likes on 172 Posts

your wife has, uh, high standards.

but yeah, if you're looking at all those euro vehicles, a tx ain't gonna keep up, but if you're shlepping kids with hockey gear around and going on vacation, i'm sure it's fine.

don't snicker, have you considered an escalade or navigator? they're pretty nice these days!
It’s weird because she isn’t a car person really but likes what she likes. She liked our Durango SRT but didn’t like the subtle changes to the Durango Hellcat which is how we ended up with the X7. When we were at the Land Rover dealer I mentioned we could get the V8TT in the Range Rover but she didn’t like the rear of it and liked the Sport better. So the full size was out.

Now I was definitely open to the Escalade and I’ve mentioned it to her over the past year but we stopped by the Caddy dealer and they didn’t have any new ones to look at but had a used one and even the short one was too big for her so we didn’t even test drive it.

We will probably look at a GLS580 next.
Old 02-27-24, 05:31 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Even the euro spec has no spare!

Yeah, I had replaced the two fronts last July, and now the rears are really close to the wear bars (they have 30k miles on them). They also don't make the same tire, they have replaced it with the Pirelli PZero A/S Plus 3. I'll at least get a road hazard refund for one of them. Guess I really am keeping this car now lol

Ignoring what happened to the Pacifica, that was a fluke where I wouldn't have had 2 spares, this is the first unrepairable flat that I have had in 25 years. If it were just a nail I would have used the slime/inflator that I have but the sidewall has a huge gash in it, wouldn't have worked. Even if I had a donut spare I wouldn't drive it around on that for 3 days while I wait for the replacement tires, so really the only difference is the tow...which was free.

One other cool thing, I put the car in the transport suspension height for getting it on and off the flatbed without scraping, its amazing how high it foes! And it can be driven up to 25MPH like this...

Oh wow, I didn't know the W222 just doesn't have one lol!

Yeah the transport mode is really nice, also locks out the system to prevent it freaking out if someone can't understand directions and secures the car via the body and not just over the tires.
Old 02-27-24, 06:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Luckily he just secured it over the tires!
Old 02-27-24, 06:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
New C&D article out on the C63S, pretty harsh but I'm glad someone is telling the damn truth. Weight gain of 752 pounds for 17MPG. I know we disagree on a lot but I don't know how one human being could want this mess over the old V8. WTF were they thinking???? I do like how even C&D pointed out the mpg and for context, in Europe how expensive a tank of premium is. This thing looks as fun as an alarm clock except it sounds even worse. It's a shame because it sure looks absolutely SICK, they got the looks part right that's for sure.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...5MWB2hfWvNJFHA
--------------------------------------------------
There's a concept popularized by the English philosopher William of Ockham in the 1300s. Called Occam's razor, it advises that, when given multiple hypotheses with equal explanatory power over a phenomenon, the simplest answer is most often the right one.

For example, say a compact German performance sedan accelerates to 60 mph in under three seconds. You'd suppose it's sending power to all four wheels, and it's possibly electric. But you wouldn't float a theory that it's a plug-in hybrid where, even in Electric mode, it can shift between rear- or all-wheel drive or that its electrified turbocharger can recharge the battery. But, in the case of the Mercedes-AMG C63 S E Performance, this more complicated explanation is correct. Occam's razor evidently doesn't cut it with engineers in Affalterbach.

HIGHS: Manically responsive powertrain, near-seamless operation, confidence-inspiring dynamics.

Perhaps AMG was looking for a fresh challenge after installing a very nearly Formula 1 powertrain in its One hypercar. But this is arguably the most complex powertrain in the new-car market, which is saying something in this era of blended combustion-and-electric propulsion. In total, this highest-performing C-class makes 671 horsepower and has three electric motors. The most powerful one gets its own two-speed gearbox and spins coaxially with the rear axle. Another motor hangs off the front of the most powerful production four-cylinder engine ever. And AMG integrated the third into the turbocharger, primarily for preemptive boosting to minimize lag. Comprehending all of it requires a diagram [see "[url=https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a46911945/mercedes-amg-plug-in-hybrid-math-explained/]AMG's New Plug-In-Hybrid Math Explained"].
VIEW PHOTOS CHARLIE MAGEE|CAR AND DRIVER EQUAL PARTS PICTURESQUE, CHALLENGING, WELL MAINTAINED, AND DESERTED, THE ROADS JUST EAST OF MARSEILLE—ALTHOUGH SOMETIMES A BIT NARROW—DID NOT DISAPPOINT.

With the C63 not yet available in the United States, we decamped to the South of France for a thorough wringing out. (Why not simply call it southern France, you ask? The French labels just aren't that simple.) Trundling through low-speed stop-and-go traffic, we find it remarkable how seamlessly and harmoniously the C63's powertrain works together. We often joke that a bad vehicle can feel like a collection of parts flying together in close formation, but the C63 instead could feel like a collection of power trains. In the default Comfort mode, the engine turns on and off regularly and does so very smoothly, more so than some shifts, despite its high-strung nature—469 horsepower, 235.6 horsepower per liter, and 23.0 psi of peak boost. But this latest and most powerful incarnation of the M139 2.0-liter inline-four can sound reedy and buzzy under these conditions; in other words, it can sound like the generator it sometimes is.
VIEW PHOTOS CHARLIE MAGEE|CAR AND DRIVER

Making our way to the coast southeast of Marseille, we encounter narrow roads barely a lane wide in small towns, and the modestly sized C-class instantly feels more like an S-class. France has odd trapezoidal speed bumps that are roughly the same size as a vehicle's track width and meant to be straddled. Once clear of those, we become aware that the signs depicting a sliding car and reading Verglas Fréquent (literally, "frequent ice") mean we're getting close to the best roads, the ones that appear to have been paved by a dog chasing its tail.

There's road texture coming through the steering wheel, and the on-center effort is a deep vee, sneeze-proof at unlimited autobahn speeds. There's also appropriate damping on-center, which we much prefer to the BMW M3's latest tuning. Turn-in is eager, but the effort ramp-up from there is a bit flat and subtle. In Sport mode and above, the engine stays on continuously and adds pops and crackles in heavy-throttle driving. Optional AMG Performance front seats are very supportive, especially in the thigh area, and not nearly as constrictive as BMW's, with adjustable side bolstering and lumbar. The back seat is adult-habitable but not generous.
VIEW PHOTOS

At max attack, the engine sounds urgent but not invigorating. Interior noise is a polite 78 decibels at wide-open throttle, a far cry from the 83 decibels of this C63's fire-breathing V-8- powered predecessor. There's more rearward power balance and willingness to corner neutrally in Sport+ and Race modes. But things don't get hoony until you select Drift mode, which puts all the power to the rear axle and requires manual-shift mode and the commitment of switching the stability control all the way off. And even then, the C63 doesn't bite. Dynamically, it's very confidence-inspiring.

The ride quality is firm, but it's more roll stiffness than ride harshness. Undulating roads can induce head toss, which is no surprise considering that the massive anti-roll bars could pass for plumbing stock. The brake pedal is squishy at the top of its travel—a knock on the tuning rather than the very capable brake hardware that produces stops from 70 mph in a ridiculously short 139 feet, partially due to a test surface that's likely grippier than our norm.

Take a ride on a 4000-rpm launch-control start, and after acclimating to the ferocity of the acceleration, you'll notice what feels like a lazy shift or the engine briefly hitting the limiter at the top of third gear at 76 mph. That's the one-two shift for the rear motor. Even with that little hiccup in the power delivery, straight-line speed is serious—the Mercedes dispatches 60 mph in 2.9 seconds and the quarter-mile in 11.2 at 121 mph. That's 0.7 and 0.6 second quicker, respectively, than the previous C63, although a good chunk of the gain is because this is the first top-dog-AMG C-class with all-wheel drive. For comparison, the last all-wheel-drive E63 S we tested shot to 60 mph in 3.0 seconds.

LOWS: Time-to-admit-it's-a-problem weight gain, we miss the V-8 music, some less powerful competitors beat it in acceleration.

Although the BMW M3 CS is down a whopping 128 horsepower to the C63, it wins the quarter-mile race decisively. How can this be? Well, given that the Mercedes, at 4749 pounds, is heavier by a monstrous 859 pounds—that's 762 more than the last C63—its power-to-weight ratio barely betters the Bimmer's. But the C63 wins in responsiveness. Check out the 3.6- second time to 60 mph from a 5-mph rolling start, 0.4 second ahead of the BMW. It beats the Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing too. See also the 2.3-second 30-to-50-mph time, which bests the M3 CS, even though the C63 starts this test with its engine off in Comfort mode (we perform passing tests in a car's default drive mode). In Race mode, the 30-to-50-mph passing time drops to 1.5 seconds, which is electric-car territory.

The e-turbo itself finally delivers on its promise of lag-free boost and is far more responsive than the similar setup in the C43. Part of the improvement is certainly that the C63's e-turbo operates on 400 volts, while the lesser AMG's is a 48-volt unit.

We pull off at a scenic overlook to take in the views, where the light-colored rocky outcroppings meet the deep-blue Mediterranean Sea. Much of the vegetation below comprises the grapevines prevalent in this Provence region.

Unlike the powertrain, the C63's exterior is quite subdued. There's a modest front splitter, rear spoiler, and central hood vent. Additional vents on the front fenders incorporate E Performance badging. Perhaps AMG spent all of its budget and then some on the powertrain, but there's no carbon-fiber roof or anything extraordinary on the outside. There aren't even carbon-ceramic brake rotors.
VIEW PHOTOS CHARLIE MAGEE|CAR AND DRIVER ANYONE WANTING TO KEEP TABS ON INDIVIDUAL MOTOR TEMPERATURES, SPEEDS, OR TORQUE OUTPUT—MERCEDES HAS YOU COVERED

.On the other hand, the C63's modes and displays are consistent with the level of powertrain complexity. There are displays that show the temperature of each motor and the real-time power and torque of each source. One of the gauge-cluster display options has the engine rpm radiating outward like a blast zone, while spears of light jut out to indicate electric-motor output. Bar graphs on the periphery show the power and torque output of each of the two major propulsion sources. Two ***** on the steering wheel control the many adjustments for the overall mode, as well as individual tweaks for the dampers, amount of regenerative braking, stability-control settings, engine-sound enhancement, and more. AMG has even mapped out the optimum electric deployment for numerous racetracks, showing the driver where to push past the throttle detent for maximum motor boost and where to back off and let the battery recharge.

Back at a sedate pace, there's also some nominal electric-only capability at speeds up to 78 mph: eight miles on the European cycle, which should equate to roughly seven in the U.S. We saw between four and 10 miles, depending on conditions. Part of the reason is that the engine comes on with 25 percent of the battery remaining to ensure there's always a buffer to provide an acceleration boost on demand. But the small 4.8-kWh battery recharges quickly—roughly an hour on a 240-volt outlet or about 10 minutes if you select Race mode, where the gas engine aggressively recharges the battery.

Why go to all the trouble to tame this complexity? Well, U.S. fuel-economy figures aren't available yet, but the C63 is about 50 percent more efficient than the M3 CS in European fuel economy metrics. That's massive but, of course, based on dipping into very little of the Mercedes's power reserves. The 17 mpg we averaged is perhaps impressive compared only to what we might have burned with its V-8-powered predecessor. And in Europe, where a tank of premium can easily run more than a decent hotel room, fuel economy certainly matters more. The price is also up substantially, to a starting point expected to be right around $100,000.

VERDICT: We have more respect than love for this ultracomplicated performance machine of the future.We're impressed by the C63's integration and that it doesn't feel as complex as it is. But

AMG's latest triggers more of a left-brain crush than unqualified passion. We miss the V-8.
The weight gain and the add additional complexity is not good. V8 makes more sense

Originally Posted by Margate330
^^^ huge post. Lol
​​​​​​I'll comment, if it moves to new thread.

Prob not that big, but on my cell phone it's a mile long tho. Lol

​​​​
I think I bit off more than I can chew In this reply,
Spoiler

Man, I am out of luck with tires

are your tires different sizes in the back for the front?

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I always switch out the run flats. Realistically, I'm going to get the car towed if there's a flat regardless of the situation.
isn’t the point of run flats so you don’t get stuck on the side of the highway?

Originally Posted by Striker223
Do you have the ability to swap to a euro trunk config? My A8s have compact spares but if I want to I can swap in alternative panels to fit a full size spare with marginal loss of space, mostly would just sacrifice sound deadening......
I didn’t know you could do that.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-27-24 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-27-24, 06:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
are your tires different sizes in the back for the front?
Yup, 275s in the rear 245s in the front.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024