Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-24, 08:09 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 240 Likes on 185 Posts
Default General Car Conversation 2024

As Dave mentioned a bit over a month ago, we're closing the original GCC thread due its very large size, which results in moderation (moving, merging, deleting posts) becoming increasingly challenging. This new thread will take us through 2024 or until it again becomes too large to effectively manage. Rules remain the same, as a reminder here they are below:

General Car Conversation thread guidelines (please read before posting)

The goal of this General Car Conversation thread is to provide an ongoing natural conversation about car related topics that ebbs and flows. The thread was requested by Club Lexus members to create a ‘general’ chat space for car related topics & tangents which allows continual conversation and will help keep other car chat threads on their more discrete and specific topics.

Posters should remember the following guidelines for posting in this thread:

1. Please keep the conversation related to motor vehicles in some way. Topics might delve into car financing, garages, detailing, and other car-related topics but personal (non car-related) conversations should go to PM or be posted in the Clubhouse forum.

2. Significant vehicle related posts should be posted as a new thread in the Car Chat forum. This includes industry news topics, new model releases, questions about car comparisons, vehicle reviews and other general topics that are likely to spawn a comprehensive and enjoyable on topic discussion. Use your judgement here, if you think something would make a good thread, create a new thread vs posting in here.

3. Lexus model specific questions should be posted in the appropriate model specific forum, not here.

4. Help new members understand how the forum works. When a new poster finds their way into the thread with a question that is better suited for its own topic in Car Chat or in a model specific thread, please help them by replying to their comment with a link to where they should post their question to get the most comprehensive responses, and report the post so moderators can review and potentially move their post to the right spot.

5. Remember that the CL rules of conduct still apply within this thread. Refrain from name calling, rude or offensive posts, flamebaiting, political or religious discussions and overwhelmingly dominating the conversation. Refusal to respect those rules could result in you being asked not to participate in the thread any longer. As a reminder, those rules are located here.

6. Once the conversation has naturally moved on from a topic, please respect that as you would any in person conversation and don’t try and drag it back where you want it to go.

7. When you are participating in other Car Chat threads, if the conversation begins to go off topic, please suggest that you and those who are involved take that conversation to this thread. It’s up to all of us to help keep the random car conversations here, and better maintain the topical continuity of the other car chat threads.

Please remember that the existence of this thread is predicated upon our ability to keep it clean and fun for everyone.
Old 01-02-24, 08:14 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 177 Posts

first!

bringing that youtube comment energy
Old 01-02-24, 08:17 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

New year, New thread. Off to the races.

I think i have a failing TPMS sensor in my truck, so I ordered 4 new ones on Amazon at $17/each. I'll have them put in at my next rotation.

Also getting a weird message on startup to check my fuel filler inlet. Apparently the fix for this is to see pray the inlet with some WD-40.

Need to take it in for its 100k mile service soon. Mostly just fluids and spark plugs. Could probably use brake pads as well.
Old 01-02-24, 08:17 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,153 Likes on 856 Posts

3rd lol! I'm surprised we got the old thread to the size this was needed!
Old 01-02-24, 08:20 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

well right before the old thread got closed i was about to dispute whether an A8 W12 gets nearly 19 mpg while sustaining 130 mph... and if that's the case then audi engineers don't get nearly enough credit since that's only a roughly 2 mpg drop from the official mpg rating of 21 hwy
Old 01-02-24, 08:41 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 886 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well right before the old thread got closed i was about to dispute whether an A8 W12 gets nearly 19 mpg while sustaining 130 mph... and if that's the case then audi engineers don't get nearly enough credit since that's only a roughly 2 mpg drop from the official mpg rating of 21 hwy
There's a reason they put big engines in demanding machines. Lol

4 cylinder turbos are for economy when running at the HP requirements for most used duties IMO.
​​​​
Old 01-02-24, 09:49 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

If you think about it I'm moving FAST so distance covered per minute is very high so even though I'm using a good bit of fuel I'm also covering a lot of distance with said fuel. My car also has very low drag (.24) and drops into a special high speed mode that lowers me a total of 2.5 inches below the normal setting to further reduce power needed to sustain. It also directs as much power as it can to the rear (92%) to reduce drag from the driveline.

Same reason you get better mpg at 55/65 vs just idling around at 5 mph, just more extreme. I also don't have turbos or forced induction to heat soak or cause restriction in low RPM high throttle open position or have to be in boost to do it. I am loosing a lot however, if I'm at optimal speed it gets 24-25mpg so it's down about 6.5 from its best.

My pain occurs in the city. The engine is so large it needs a very high base amount of fuel to remain running at all and I'm basically single digits if I can't actually have some speed. My 4.0 is FAR better in those situations as is the LS since they don't need as much fuel to just stay on.

Last edited by Striker223; 01-02-24 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-02-24, 09:51 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 200 Likes on 178 Posts

LOLLLL I thought the thread got closed because of our top speed photos at first. I thought we were about to be on everyone's S-list big time.
Old 01-02-24, 09:52 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
My pain occurs in the city. The engine is so large it needs a very high base amount of fuel to remain running at all and I'm basically single digits if I can't actually have some speed. My 4.0 is FAR better in those situations as is the LS since they don't need as much fuel to just stay on.
I couldn't break double digits in an LS430 when I lived in Los Angeles. 9 something MPG.
Old 01-02-24, 09:58 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
I couldn't break double digits in an LS430 when I lived in Los Angeles. 9 something MPG.
Jesus. I get MAYBE 12-13 here and it's not anything like that bad of traffic, we never actually stop moving at least 10mph even when it's at its worst. I also try to never take that car anywhere near the city if I can avoid it, I take the SUVs instead since I don't care as much
Old 01-02-24, 10:04 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Jesus. I get MAYBE 12-13 here and it's not anything like that bad of traffic, we never actually stop moving at least 10mph even when it's at its worst. I also try to never take that car anywhere near the city if I can avoid it, I take the SUVs instead since I don't care as much
Yep. LA traffic is just that bad. LS430 has a pretty efficient V8 to begin with. Could never break 10mpg.

Lol, LX570 would probably get like 4-5.
Old 01-02-24, 10:15 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 240 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
LOLLLL I thought the thread got closed because of our top speed photos at first. I thought we were about to be on everyone's S-list big time.
Nope, it's just all about the database. As an example, if someone accidentally makes a double post (which happens maybe a dozen or so times a week in Car Chat, not necessarily in this thread), I'll select one of them and then choose delete. CL will then spin for five minutes and eventually throw an error. Then I go back and reload the page to see if the delete worked. Most of the time it did, but occasionally I'll have to delete it again.
Old 01-02-24, 10:27 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

If you think about it I'm moving FAST so distance covered per minute is very high so even though I'm using a good bit of fuel I'm also covering a lot of distance with said fuel
oh i have thought about it, and air resistance increases at an exponential rate, aka the difference between 100 and 110 vs 110 and 120 is pretty significant so i'm just a bit skeptical that the 12 cylinder A8 gets the same mpg at 130 as the (also very aerodynamic) LS 400 gets at like 105 doing 3100 rpm

but hey just post a several second clip of that happening and i'd be glad to retract my statement! has to be on flat ground too of course... actually you're in Ohio so that shouldn't be too hard to find lmao
Old 01-02-24, 10:36 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

@BrettJacks
I’m weaseling my way out of a strip mall from behind, I swing the car around and see this… XLT but Ecoboost.

Old 01-02-24, 10:37 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

oh i have thought about it, and air resistance increases at an exponential rate, aka the difference between 100 and 110 vs 110 and 120 is pretty significant so i'm just a bit skeptical that the 12 cylinder A8 gets the same mpg at 130 as the (also very aerodynamic) LS 400 gets at like 105 doing 3100 rpm

but hey just post a several second clip of that happening and i'd be glad to retract my statement! has to be on flat ground too of course... actually you're in Ohio so that shouldn't be too hard to find lmao
Sure but I'm not sure why that surprises you at all, it's has double the TQ at half the RPM and double (almost) the transmission speeds and is far lower to the ground. The LS is fighting hard to do that speed relatively speaking, I can hit 105 without hitting 3000 rpm and using about 1/3 throttle if I want to.

Do remember that my car is a 200mph class vehicle unlike anything Lexus ever made outside the LFA.

For sure it's flat here lol! Easy to find areas to go quickly and if I take the A8s to work I hit 100+ 3-5 times just on that trip

Last edited by Striker223; 01-02-24 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024