Canada For events in Canada.

Nothing but headaches

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 03:29 PM
Sean@Home
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nothing but headaches

As most of you know i bought an SC400 this summer.

Since it first came out i wanted one. I looked for a long time and finally when i could afford it i bought a nice one, i thought

Since ive had it pretty much weekly something has gone wrong with it. Rad cracked, alternator went, fogs stoped working, Needed new tires, fix alignment.

It basically been in the shop or waiting to get into the shop for more time then ive had to drive.

I finally thought i got all the issues resolved until last night. Went to go for a drive. started making a funny whining sound. power steering stoped working, or for that matter the steering period. Fill up thge fluid, tried to see if there was air in the system. Nothing.

Low and behold power steering pump is toast. Back to the shop it goes.

The moral of the story is if your going to buy a car, get it checked out first properly. EVEN IF YOU TRUST THE ^&*(&^% SELLER.

My anger is subsiding now as my wallet depleets some more.
Old 09-01-09, 05:20 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Much like my old Eclipse, AC belt snapped after a few months, AC's not functional, crank sensor malfunctioned, oil leak on oil pan, head and misc gaskets, starter gone, steering rack toast, rear diff leaked, CVs gone, clutch replaced but with error have to replace again along with clutch fork, during turbo upgrade, we are able to hand loosen the manifold bolts... and in the end, a cylinder's compression's only at half.... thus the intermittent power I've got,sometimes faster than IS350, sometimes slower than stock.

Whatever you do, even if you buy a car from a site like Club Lexus (hint: my GS400, if you bother to search), have to be very careful and check the car thoroughly even if it's clean history...

Sidenote: my friend's brand new WRX 265, toasted tranny because Subaru forgot to put in tranny fluid.
Old 09-01-09, 07:01 PM
VIP_LEX
Pole Position

Here are a few steps I would take:

1) Stop dumping money into it

2) Buy a JDM Toyota Soarer (1JZ-GTE for reliability and hp, as well as better fuel economy)

3) Swap any parts you would like to keep from the SC400 (as long as it is compatible)

4) Part out the SC400 in the classifieds section

5) OR Sell the thing

6) Live a happier life with a JDM Lexus SC twin turbo (Toyota Soarer)
Old 09-01-09, 07:51 PM
Sean@Home
Rookie

I will never get even close to what i paid if i dont fix it; furthermore, getting a soarer is just switching a set of problems for another.

I feel like an idiot now, but a big selling point when i bought this car was the fact the maintainence records were pretty thourough and i was told that nothing would need to be done for atleast 2 years except back tires. I bought it hook line and sinker.

I had some money saved up for other things i wanted to do but at this point i just get mad when i see the car, its become a burden. The other problem is i would never sell a car that was going to be a bunch of problems for the next owner. I wouldnt want someone else to have to deal with what im dealing with now.

The only silver lining is when i bought it i kept another car. Unlike the sc400 it has asked me for nothing. A Pontiac grand prix GTP. looks ugly but its faster and more reliable then the sc. If i didnt have it i would have been in a lot worse shape. Who says GM are all pieces of ****.

Last edited by Sean@Home; 09-01-09 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-01-09, 08:21 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i stopped counting how much ive spent on maintenance on my car.

but there is only really so much u can expect to keep working, especially for my car, 168,000 miles (268,000 km)
Old 09-01-09, 09:41 PM
Sean@Home
Rookie

dude i know i didnt buy a brand new car. Im also aware with age things go. I thought most of the problems had already been adressed rather then have a endless stream of things come up right after the purchase. When im told that it will run without problems for years since everything that needs to be done is fixed, and it runs for less then 2 weeks at a time i have a reason to be frustrated. Im not exagerating when i say it has been in the shop for more time then ive had to drive it well it works.

Honestly the thing that makes me the most mad is we had all this nice weather, and i have a nice car and havn't been able to use it. I've missed 2 meets including the big revscene meet. By the time i can finally sort everything out, winter will be apon us.

Last edited by Sean@Home; 09-01-09 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-02-09, 12:30 AM
1jztts
Driver

Originally Posted by FENDER
Here are a few steps I would take:

1) Stop dumping money into it

2) Buy a JDM Toyota Soarer (1JZ-GTE for reliability and hp, as well as better fuel economy)

3) Swap any parts you would like to keep from the SC400 (as long as it is compatible)

4) Part out the SC400 in the classifieds section

5) OR Sell the thing

6) Live a happier life with a JDM Lexus SC twin turbo (Toyota Soarer)
My soarer gets 14mpg
21 if I stay off boost, which is hard because they spool so quick ( and addicting )
Old 09-02-09, 01:00 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

My Talon/Eclipse's record... 10 visits to dealer within 2 weeks. twice towed back while at it, a few of them are overnighters...

Oh, and one time, it's in for VI, then have to fix ABS due to it, 2k for new pump, fine if that's all it needed, then said 2k more for ABS control, then I got it used for 200, then it got broken in IN the dealership at night.... have to wait for ICBC to clear, fix the car's alarm, battery lines locks etc... and the VI to clear, then install a new deck due to it, the whole thing took 6 months in total. All because the stupid cop checked box 1 instead. And I got raped by the shop that did the VI claiming they can fix it etc, but in the end can't and bring it to a dealer, and another shop for misc work that I don't know wtf is going on.....
Old 09-02-09, 02:29 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah I hear you...I have somewhat similar problems with my car, but the problems came up after 2 years of owning it...not 2 months. Sucks man

Last edited by Kaydee; 09-02-09 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-02-09, 08:07 AM
Sean@Home
Rookie

Hopefully i will have adressed everything soon. Im kinda peeved that i didnt do the fixing myself but i work such wonky hours that when i have free time...i want it to be free. At this rate it will be an all new car when im done with it.
Old 09-02-09, 12:03 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks to hear man. I saw ur car in person a few times and it looked in pretty amazing shape. I woulda believed that nothings gonna break too, especially given the SC's (somewhat) reliable reputation.
But I'm always cautious about purchasing an already modded car, it usually means they've been driven hard. The 3 SC's I've owned were all bought completely stock, and I've literally had no problems like yours with any of them..
If you ever decide to tackle any of the issues yourself and need a hand lemme know, I'd be glad to help out.
Old 09-02-09, 05:29 PM
Sean@Home
Rookie

Well i got even worse news today. 1000$ to replace the entire rack as its seized up and it not the power steering mechanism. I just got news tires and alignment and when its done, now i got to get another alignment. Im SOOOOOOOOOOO ****ING MAD.
Old 09-02-09, 05:35 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I get free alignments for life at Firestone? Lemme find out for sure and if I am able to give if to other ppl. I'll PM ya..
Old 09-02-09, 05:44 PM
Sean@Home
Rookie

Thanks dude. it sucks because i literally just got everything aligned and fix recently. I went to comptech and they are great guys but for some reason i think its a smaller problem then the rack, and were gonna fix it by replacing everything. This car is gonna be the death of me.
Old 09-02-09, 08:44 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

No doubt it sucks having car problems.

Solution: Buy a new or at least newer vehicle with less mileage. Buying OLD luxury vehicles is not the smartest choice for someone with a slim wallet. Admit to yourself you cannot afford to drive a lexus and for the same price you paid for your SC you could of got a Honda with 1/2 the mileage and 1/2 as old.

What year and how many km's? Even when you drive a lexus EVENTUALLY things wear out and need to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Nothing but headaches