Canada For events in Canada.

Nothing but headaches

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 11:47 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I religiously put only T-IV in mine
Same here. Fresh T-IV made a huge difference when I flushed the transmission, still have to do the PS.

Sean, sorry to hear about your troubles. Most if not all SC400's do it. My PS pump was replaced by the previous owner and I did my alternator inexpensively about 2 years ago.
Old 09-10-09, 04:13 PM
Sean@Home
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wasnt the power steering pump ( which incidently was replaced by previous owner ).

When we went to bleed the lines we found all these small shards of metal in the lines. So after bleeding it off we relized it seized the rack up ( which was leaking ).

Replaced the rack. All was going well until i discovered that the power steering resevoir which is supposed to have even flow wasnt flowing. Tried to wash it out. Compressed aird it. Still didnt flow properly. Was just going to replace it until i saw the 650$ price tag for what essentially is a cup with a lid, made of metal.

Took it to a transmission shop to use there machine to flush it ( when a transmission ****s itself, your generally trying to get alot of metal shards out of it so i figured the same thing could be done here) It did the trick.

The design on the resevoir is so ****ing stupid though. it has a filter in the bottom of the basin you cant access. As a result if any debree gets in there your ****ed.

Im going to order another one from a member and when it arrives ill swap it out. BUT for now im driving her again, knocks on wood.

And we still cant figure out where the debree came from Since it s a closed system it can only be a few things. The mechanic thinks that when the old one was replaced (power steering pump) the person didnt get the lines flushed and when the pump went it shot stuff into the lines. It slowly got more and more blocked causing the failure i had to deal with.
Old 09-10-09, 04:38 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome!!

it's amazing what you find inside the engine...I found a small plastic piece (looks like a toy) keeping my thermostat open last year. Thought the radiator was effed, almost blew out an entire savings for something I didn't need.
Old 09-10-09, 04:51 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just changed the struts on my beater. feels so different, will tackle the rear struts another day when i got time! car still pulls hard... when the turbo is actually working! :P
Old 09-11-09, 01:56 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

which transmission shop did you use sean? my friend needs to go to one.
Old 09-11-09, 07:25 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

When I bought my SC I thought I was getting a problem free car... NOT! It still needed a good $500 worth of repairs. My SC was in pristine condition for a 92 with only 103K miles. Moral of the story is that no matter what brand if you buy a car older than 10 yrs, you're going to spend money on some kind of repair.
Old 09-11-09, 08:10 AM
Sean@Home
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jetfire
which transmission shop did you use sean? my friend needs to go to one.
Atco ( think thats the name ) next to canadian tire on cambie, they were nice guys.

Originally Posted by KA8
When I bought my SC I thought I was getting a problem free car... NOT! It still needed a good $500 worth of repairs. My SC was in pristine condition for a 92 with only 103K miles. Moral of the story is that no matter what brand if you buy a car older than 10 yrs, you're going to spend money on some kind of repair.
If it makes you feel better im 3000$ in since i purchased it about 2 months ago ontop of what i paid for the car itself. Honestly the money doesnt even bother me, it can always be remade. I just lost some really pristine driving days with the length of time it was at the garage. Infact if my maths right its been in the shop for longer then its been on the road.

Now if i can only get a new resevoir ill be set hopefully for a while.

Im also planning on buying another car soon so whoever gets this one will receive it with pretty much entirely new parts through the entire car. I still might keep it aswell but i dont think i can justify having 4 cars =(
Old 09-11-09, 09:47 AM
anaq110
Driver

Wow I was thinking about picking up a SC as my daily car but listening to your issues its making me think twice. My old GS400 gave me fits man, every month some type of issue, I cant even count how many times I had tire rods\bearing replaced. Finally gave up and had to trade it in and even before leaving she cost me 2K in an accident.. If you hear how much bad luck I had with my GS your head would spin. Regardless just look at dumping it man if it has cost you 3K already.
Old 09-11-09, 10:47 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

How much did you spend? mileage? yr?
Old 09-11-09, 04:45 PM
Sean@Home
Rookie

Originally Posted by anaq110
Wow I was thinking about picking up a SC as my daily car but listening to your issues its making me think twice. My old GS400 gave me fits man, every month some type of issue, I cant even count how many times I had tire rods\bearing replaced. Finally gave up and had to trade it in and even before leaving she cost me 2K in an accident.. If you hear how much bad luck I had with my GS your head would spin. Regardless just look at dumping it man if it has cost you 3K already.
Im generally an ******* but one thing i wont do is sell something to someone with problems. So when and if i sell it the car will work flawlessly like it should have when i bought it