Canada For events in Canada.

The "Stupid-Vancouver-Driver" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 01:35 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanz
Ah, thanks, will give them a try. I also have a rock chip in the front along with that dent/chip on the door which needs repainting. However, I will probably wait until I get a couple more for now...as repainting the door+hood is probably going to get quite expensive. The others I guess I will let the dent removers try their best, as the paint is still intact.

check this link:
http://www.colorworks.ca/

the salesman at richmond lexus told me to give these guys a try and see what they could do for me (rock chip on hood). i did give them a call, but said they can't fix the rock chip, i would need to repaint the entire hood.

however, you could give these guys a try and see if they could fix the paint chips you have on your door. i don't know if they can fix it or not, but there's no harm in asking. i had the vancouver telephone #, but i threw it away. you could look them up online or in the phonebook.

once i have my hood repainted, i'm gonna go full out on a clear bra (should have done that as soon as i got my car )
Old 05-01-09, 03:05 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One time in my last car (an Envoy specifically) this moron in the car next to me opened his door into mine while I was inside my SUV and was about to walk away (with his g/f or date or what ever) but I was completely unimpressed, so I rolled down my window and told him he could now pay me $250 so I can go have that fixed.

Needless to say he had no idea what to do and since it was just a surface scuff (and a leased SUV) I just made him buff my (nealy entire) door right there in the parking lot while his date waited. Maybe a little extreme, but if he did it once you know he does it all the time.

Old 05-04-09, 11:53 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no idea where to get dents removed, but theres a thread in the SC forums about using dry ice to remove dents? Anyone know about this technique? I have a few door dings that I'd love to remove..

Heres the thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...e-results.html
Old 05-04-09, 02:33 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I have no idea where to get dents removed, but theres a thread in the SC forums about using dry ice to remove dents? Anyone know about this technique? I have a few door dings that I'd love to remove..

Heres the thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...e-results.html

if it's just dent removal, you can just use dents unlimited or a similar company that repairs door and body dings. not sure how good dry ice method works, but i would think it would be more expensive?
Old 05-04-09, 03:56 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I've done a bit of research about the 'dry ice dent removal' and the only place that I could find that carry's dry ice is Praxair on Clark and Grandview. The smallest size they sell is 10"x10" for $18.95. So I dunno about it being more expensive cuz if it works then thats a pretty good price for getting rid of a few dents.

The process goes like this:
- Warm up the metal with a blow-dryer until you can almost not touch it.
- While WEARING PROTECTIVE GLOVES rub the dent (and ONLY the dent) with the dry ice, while checking the dent with your hand making sure that you dont 'over correct it'. This process seems to take anywhere from 1-10 mins. A few places that I looked recommended wrapping the dry ice in a shop-towel or something as to not scratch the clear-coat.
- Gently rub off the residual dry ice from the metal until it has defrosted.

But the next question is DOES IT WORK!? Well in my research I've concluded its effective about 50% of the time, depending on how warm the metal is, and what type of dent it is.
Ive also learned that it CAN be bad for your car. Seems like the paint/clear coat should be ok, but the problem may come from the metal itself. The way it should work is the heat warming the metal so that its bendable, and the cold causing it to contract thus popping back into place. But the extreme and constant heating and cooling of the metal can result in a 'tin can effect', and the metal can become weak, popping in and out in normal weather changes.

This is something that I'd LOVE to try, and I'm sure theres a bunch of ppl with annoying dings on their cars. The problem is that I'm worried about causing damage to my car. Has anyone successfully tried this?? OR does anyone have a winter/junk car that theyd try it on and share the results!?
Old 05-05-09, 09:18 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

^ i don't know about you, but the cons of using dry ice is a little scary for me! i'd only consider this method of fixing dents only if the guy is extremely knowledgeable and has many years of experience fixing dents this way. the 'tin can effect' is not what i want in my car!
Old 05-06-09, 02:15 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Drove somewhere this morning, within 10-minutes I had to honk (guy turning left in front of me when it was clearly not his turn) *shakes head*
Old 05-07-09, 10:55 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Just briefly want to mention how increadibly stupid it is to cut off a car going at some very fast speed ... very stupid (*cough cough* corolla on SFU hill this morning *cough cough*)

oh yea ... I CAN SEE MY BREATH STILL UP HERE!!!! (this is not helping my missing Hawaii & palm trees & pineapple & surfing)
Old 05-08-09, 12:46 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanz
I can't stand this anymore. I think at least 5% of the cars that park near me hit me with their doors on purpose! I always see paint chips inside the dents, so they have obviously damaged their clunker as well. I can't believe how disrespectful people are out there...I really want to catch one of them and leave a dent in their head to remind them not to damage other peoples property.
Oh I've had people hit my car with their doors with me sitting INSIDE the car. I even had one punk kid scratch my car (seriously, who walks in between cars that are tight and holds a key sideways??). I was parked close because the van next to me was some white delivery van so I figured if I park close enough, no one will walk in between. I was in the car waiting anyway so I can move if they need me toyet this kid manages to squeeze in.

Those that hit me always tend to be old beaters that don't give a crap about their own vehicle.
Old 05-08-09, 03:57 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

^ that's where you get out and make them take care of what ever they just did.
Old 05-10-09, 09:57 AM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

We have fair share of stupid drives in WA....

I hate those drivers who is in their own world by
*using hand held cell phone
*holding a starbuck on thier left hand and merging into my lane without using signal.
*with this much rain we have in PNW, people still don't know how to drive in the rain.(my normal 25 min commute in the morning become 55min... damn it.)
*eating french fries while driving....their reaction time is soooooo slow. I know who much they enjoy it by looking at the size of the driver... (no offense).

Oh, btw. What is the rule on cell phone use while driving in Vancouver?
Old 05-10-09, 12:35 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

There is no rule about cell phone use in cars in BC IIRC (only 1 or 2 provinces have a law against it). Thankfully, I don't see too many people eating/drinking/shaving inside their cars here, but they still swerve for no reason and can't stay inside their lanes.

Just yesterday, I was going to Steveston and some idiot in a 6 series acted beyond retarded. He was stuck behind someone wanting to do a left turn while there were barely any gaps in traffic in the right lane. What does this idiot do? Well he floors it (like fully throttle leaving tire marks) and cuts off some guy in an old 5 series causing him to brake/swerve. I swear this guy had no depth/speed perception, and thankfully the other driver had a really quick reaction time. I almost wish this idiot got sideswiped so that he learns his lesson...

Btw, looks like my ICBC coverage includes new car insurance which all non-fault exterior damage to the car...so I'll give that a go and see what happens. Apparently it covers dings and stuff ( I have to go get an assessment done to see if they will approve it).
Old 05-10-09, 01:54 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I called up Dents Unlimited and had their completely self-contained mobile service van come to my place of work. The guy did a fantastic job right in our office parking lot with large florescent lights on wheels that he could move around the car to work on one side of the car and then the other. Amazing to watch him (and he had quite an audience too ) as he carefully massaged the dents out with a long metal rod that he slid down inside the door panel from the window opening. He worked at it for at least an hour and a half to remove 6 small dents in the doors and rear quarter panels. After he was finished, there was absolutely no way to tell there were ever any dents in the car. They completely disappeared. The bill came to ~ $150.00. I HIGHLY recommend them.
They have a shop in Port Moody too, not too far from the Open Road Lexus dealership.
Old 05-10-09, 06:21 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Nissan 350Zs

Being an automatic makes it worse ... as does being a vert (being both is immesurable)

... that is all ...
Old 05-10-09, 07:20 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexucan
I called up Dents Unlimited and had their completely self-contained mobile service van come to my place of work. The guy did a fantastic job right in our office parking lot with large florescent lights on wheels that he could move around the car to work on one side of the car and then the other. Amazing to watch him (and he had quite an audience too ) as he carefully massaged the dents out with a long metal rod that he slid down inside the door panel from the window opening. He worked at it for at least an hour and a half to remove 6 small dents in the doors and rear quarter panels. After he was finished, there was absolutely no way to tell there were ever any dents in the car. They completely disappeared. The bill came to ~ $150.00. I HIGHLY recommend them.
They have a shop in Port Moody too, not too far from the Open Road Lexus dealership.
I've used these guys before, but it should be less expensive. At the time, three years past he was charging $115 for five "simple" dents. They are excellent in every way, as the poster above described.

I still carry his card with me, but I'm a lot more careful where I park.

Quick Reply: The "Stupid-Vancouver-Driver" Thread