Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

TrueGS300's build

Old 06-12-19, 04:38 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default bam

in the ashtray. loving it. very easy to use. make sure to setup the knock sensor activity correctly.
The following 2 users liked this post by badblackgs:
coltonja (02-13-22), TrueGS300 (06-12-19)
Old 06-12-19, 06:11 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

Very nice, so you are running a SAFC-II. How do you like it? 50% of what I read says that the ECU will override it. Others that it works good. Whats your take on it? Do you have a wide-band with a gauge to observe AFRs? I'm still trying to make sure this is a worth while mod. I know for forced induction they are obsolete, but supposed to be good for N/A. Even stock they can make a decent increase in performance. I think with cams and all, it should make a pretty good increase. Hoping anyways. Interested in your experience.
Old 06-14-19, 03:27 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Dyno before!
Old 06-15-19, 07:05 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default whoa

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
Very nice, so you are running a SAFC-II. How do you like it? 50% of what I read says that the ECU will override it. Others that it works good. Whats your take on it? Do you have a wide-band with a gauge to observe AFRs? I'm still trying to make sure this is a worth while mod. I know for forced induction they are obsolete, but supposed to be good for N/A. Even stock they can make a decent increase in performance. I think with cams and all, it should make a pretty good increase. Hoping anyways. Interested in your experience.
if the guys over in the supra community heard you say the afc neo or safc 2 is obsolete they'd have a field day with you. the afc is actually very user friendly and easy to tune. i find it to be exactly what i was looking for. all it does is skew the reading the maf sensor signal going the the engine computer. the ecm sees airflow into motor and adjust fuel amount based on the reading. so in my case, im running a 2jzgte aristo swap. the stock ecu for that motor likes to go super rich once the rpms reach 4k when the second turbo comes online. so all i do and everyone else with that motor is setup the rpm points to where at 4k i start pulling fuel. and it has worked perfectly. so for instance, i have zero fuel correction from idle to 4k rpms. once i hit 4k for my high and low throttle settings, i pull 12% fuel up to redline. and it took my afrs from 10:1 to 11:8. the reason im running it leaner is because i have methanol injection to help suppress knock. so i can run my afrs leaner. since your just N/A, your not going to see too much power from leaning it out, but you might get some since when you tell the ecm theres less load on the engine, it advances the timing.
The following users liked this post:
TrueGS300 (06-15-19)
Old 06-15-19, 06:16 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Originally Posted by badblackgs
if the guys over in the supra community heard you say the afc neo or safc 2 is obsolete they'd have a field day with you. the afc is actually very user friendly and easy to tune. i find it to be exactly what i was looking for. all it does is skew the reading the maf sensor signal going the the engine computer. the ecm sees airflow into motor and adjust fuel amount based on the reading. so in my case, im running a 2jzgte aristo swap. the stock ecu for that motor likes to go super rich once the rpms reach 4k when the second turbo comes online. so all i do and everyone else with that motor is setup the rpm points to where at 4k i start pulling fuel. and it has worked perfectly. so for instance, i have zero fuel correction from idle to 4k rpms. once i hit 4k for my high and low throttle settings, i pull 12% fuel up to redline. and it took my afrs from 10:1 to 11:8. the reason im running it leaner is because i have methanol injection to help suppress knock. so i can run my afrs leaner. since your just N/A, your not going to see too much power from leaning it out, but you might get some since when you tell the ecm theres less load on the engine, it advances the timing.
This is the first hand experience I have been looking for! I only said that it was obsolete because everyone else on here had said they were. I asked about it before and was looking for this kind of first hand experience. But all I got was convinced not to use a unit like this. I definitely feel a lot better about getting one now. And since I plan a NA-T build in the future it will be useful for then too.
Old 06-30-19, 09:29 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Took a break after the cam swap and now I am moving forward with my NA-T plan. Still planing to dyno the car before. I have a lot of time before I have a complete turbo build. But here is my idea on the building blocks. I wrote to CXRacing about this kit: https://www.cxracing.com/products-by...JZGE-T70-BLS-1 . But without the overly big cheap turbo it comes with and I asked if they could exchange the down-pipe in the kit for the GS300 specific one they sell in another kit. Hopefully they will play ball with me on that. I plan to use a Garrett GT-3071r for the turbo. Specs here: https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing...turbo/gt3071r/.
I already have the side mount intercooler from an Aristo V300 and will custom up the piping. Will be tuning with an Apexi AFC Neo and a manual boost controller. Keeping to my plan with everything being quickly and easily removable despite more cost in some cases to do so. Like the plug and play harness for the AFC. But that's how you beat the California smog rules.
Old 07-05-19, 08:57 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Took the plunge for the tuning equipment first that I will need for the both the NA-T build and for now to be able to dyno the car and see what a mild N/A build can net. I will take the time to learn tuning with it while it's N/A so its easier when the turbo is in and I need to get it up and running quick. Then fine tune along the way. Just about $1,000 gets you an Apexi AFC-Neo, Boomslayer plug-n-play harness, and an AEM wide band o2/gauge kit. Much cheaper if you don't have to buy the harness and just wire it in yourself and buy the a/f controller used and a cheaper wideband set. But I wanted to go this route for my first time doing tuning. Everything new and no missing bs. Plus staying true to my quick removabilty/installation for emissions purposes. Here's what I got for anyone interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Apexi-A...53.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Lexus-G...53.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AEM-Digital...53.m2749.l2649
Old 07-17-19, 05:50 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

I ended up getting a complete kit from CXracing with an upgraded GT35 ball-bearing turbo. Today I installed the intercooler and piping and got the front end back together. All in all the kit is a great fit so far and seems to be nicely hidden. Didn't have to modify anything. I did have to pull out the washer reservoir and both fog lights. Might figure out a way to get them to work later. Also one of the two horns. But the one works fine for me. I just taped off the two ends for now so no dirt gets inside. Will be ready for the manifold, turbo, and all the stuff up top when I get another day to go at it. Next on the list is to get the wide band o2 sensor, boost gauge, and AFC Neo installed and get tuning down on it so it's easier when the turbo goes in. Still planning to dyno the car after I get it dialed in for the current N/A setup. This will be good practice.

Old 07-17-19, 06:27 PM
SlowSedan
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like a nice fit for the intercooler. Nicely done.
Old 07-20-19, 05:26 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Originally Posted by SlowSedan
Looks like a nice fit for the intercooler. Nicely done.
Thanks, ya it seems to be a very accurate fitment for the GS. This saves a lot of time and frustration in the long run.
Old 07-20-19, 05:36 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

I wanted to give an update/warning about the steering rack bushing kit I got. They quickly became very loud and clunky when turning the wheels. A partner and I watched the rack slip inside the passengers side bushing and make a thunking noise with each slip. Made the car sound like junk in parking lots etc. This was not a matter of any kind of oil or contaminants. I went to a factory rubber bushing and the fitment is good and tight. Much better than this poly set, and no more noise. So anyone that got this as a result of me talking them up, I apologize. Do not get them, and if you have't installed them yet, try to return them. And if you have installed them, don't be alarmed if you get noise. Ask to return them as defects.

This is the one I am referencing:
Old 07-22-19, 09:04 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Are those from Megan?
Old 07-22-19, 04:38 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
Are those from Megan?
Na it was this set: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Lexus-...sAAOSwnklaq92T
Old 07-23-19, 08:31 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

I have a superpro set that I have yet to install. I've heard good things about them though
Old 08-02-19, 06:12 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Just got in this sweet fuel rail and plumbing kit from Radium Engineering. The quality looks superb. Has a fuel pulse damper like our OEM rails do. All the proper fittings included. Just waiting on my 550cc injectors now and the GT35r turbo that’s onnback order.

The following users liked this post:
99 GS3 (08-18-19)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TrueGS300's build