Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

97 SC300 - silentbob

Old 05-16-19, 08:36 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts
Arrow 97 SC300 - silentbob

Welcome, join me for watching a redneck build a import.

I have a lot of domestic experience and wanted to change it up, i had leaned towards LS swapping a lot but i decided that's no fun so i'm diving into something i know little about!

I just picked up a 97 GE block with GTE rods and pistons w/ ARP headstuds, zero idea what route i'm going but i am strongly considering using my non-vvti head from my 97.

Hurdles to get over: coil on plug situation, better clutch probably for the 58 (yeah yeah im gonna blow it up), what engine management to use?

I'm considering ecu masters black since it looks pretty feature packed, I feel confident i could wire it up but the coil situation confuses me.

My goals are 500-600whp, im looking at gtx 3076r quite a bit.

I think i want to stick to the GE head just to use all the front accessories i already have, and maintain my AC and all that.

The following users liked this post:
Matt L (05-13-20)
Old 05-16-19, 08:41 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Can you get away with just running the distributor until you convert it or is it just totally in the way of the turbo on a NA-T?
Old 05-17-19, 06:07 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

^ As long as you buy a manifold that allows your piping to clear the distributor it will support your power goals just fine. Check out Gerrb's build thread using a Treadstone cast SS turbo manifold. It allows you to mount a large turbo down lower and leaves a lot more room for activities on NA-T cars. Loving the white - good luck with the build and keep taking good pics!
Old 05-17-19, 06:29 AM
silentkill
Advanced

So in theory could i do something like that and run a plug/play ECU and basically change zero wiring? just to get started anyway i do plan on doing COP eventually.

that would definitely ease the blow of all the part costs lol

edit:
dang that treadstone looks like an awesome fit, and im not shooting for a massive turbo so that may just work!

Last edited by silentkill; 05-17-19 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-17-19, 10:06 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

The treadstone manifold is wicked cool and the placement is nice for guys like you that want to change as little as possible. If you go with a plug n play standalone then you won't need to change much if anything. If you do choose to go with something like an aristo 2jzgte factory ecu (there are threads showing how to utilize this) then there will be some wiring needed. There's a TON of info on NA-T setups on this site and they'll be your best friend. Best of luck sir!
Old 05-17-19, 12:21 PM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by RudysSC
The treadstone manifold is wicked cool and the placement is nice for guys like you that want to change as little as possible. If you go with a plug n play standalone then you won't need to change much if anything. If you do choose to go with something like an aristo 2jzgte factory ecu (there are threads showing how to utilize this) then there will be some wiring needed. There's a TON of info on NA-T setups on this site and they'll be your best friend. Best of luck sir!
Appreciate the info, i'll keep the photo's flowing.
Old 05-18-19, 06:42 AM
silentkill
Advanced

bought the first little bit for the oil feed.

I'm still really torn on exh manifold, after reading through this post it seems like you can run GM LQ9 coils under the stock intake? but everywhere that sells a kit says this is not possible.

Is there a coil upgrade path that will fit under the cross-over intake?

Should i just skip this dicking around and do top mount + front facing intake and just take the $$ blow? haha
Old 05-18-19, 09:57 AM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya know I saw "silent bob" as the build name and my first thought was no way he is doing an EV conversion 😲
Old 05-20-19, 10:56 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
Ya know I saw "silent bob" as the build name and my first thought was no way he is doing an EV conversion 😲
hahaha Telsa swap incoming! jk im not that talented, i can gas engines tho!
Old 05-21-19, 01:09 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silentkill
hahaha Telsa swap incoming! jk im not that talented, i can gas engines tho!
Still subbed to check it out! But man would these be slick with a Tesla powertrain 😎 if I had $20k and a year of free time 😆🙄
Old 05-21-19, 01:12 PM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
Still subbed to check it out! But man would these be slick with a Tesla powertrain 😎 if I had $20k and a year of free time 😆🙄
Thanks Joe.

I think i will be sticking with the top mount manifold to be honest. Then i can run premade downpipe, etc. I'll get some ebay intake and send it.
Old 05-26-19, 01:49 PM
silentkill
Advanced

I was thinking a S362 SX-E would be good for my power goals, can i get some opinions?

https://agpturbo.com/borg-warner-s36...8-13009097056/
Old 06-07-19, 08:41 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Ordered OEM TT headgasket, ebay header, ebay downpipe and wg dump tube, manzo midpipe (i'm thinking i can hook into my stock ypipe for now, i have mufflers) eventually going with HKS supra single exit exhaust.

also found a ecumaster plug and play harness adaptor locally, I sat through the wiring of GE to GTE and it looks like almost everything is lined up fine, i will just have to make some modifications for coils depending on which setup i go with.

I'm thinking of using VVTI wasted spark coils, as i'm not sure how to wire up the TT individual coils lol.

Do TT coils non-vvti and vvti bolt on the GE valve covers fine?

Last edited by silentkill; 06-07-19 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-07-19, 02:53 PM
MNtyler
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This looks awesome! I have the EMU BLACK waiting for install and am super excited. It's not very popular here in the states but is gaining traction. Huge bang for your buck in terms of performance and will handle basically anything you'd need as long as you are a professional drifter...and some of them still use it!

For what it's worth, find a tuner first and make sure they are on board. I was lucky to have someone here in MN close by and Sound Performance in Chicago if I really want the absolute best. Otherwise you might have a hard time finding someone to tune it.
Old 06-10-19, 08:54 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by MNtyler
This looks awesome! I have the EMU BLACK waiting for install and am super excited. It's not very popular here in the states but is gaining traction. Huge bang for your buck in terms of performance and will handle basically anything you'd need as long as you are a professional drifter...and some of them still use it!

For what it's worth, find a tuner first and make sure they are on board. I was lucky to have someone here in MN close by and Sound Performance in Chicago if I really want the absolute best. Otherwise you might have a hard time finding someone to tune it.
Haha i live less than 2 hours from SP so i plan on going down there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 SC300 - silentbob