Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 3GS owner vehicles

RL9010's modified 2011 GS450h

Old 06-20-17, 08:43 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RL9010's modified 2011 GS450h

Hello Club Lexus!

Long time member but I never posted a build thread. I believe I have posted a lot of good content so I will archive everything here.
Mods started with lights. All bulbs have been replaced by aftermarket. Mostly Carmate brand leds and PIAA led fog lamps in 3000k.
Next came springs and sway bars, this modification alone should satisfy most people as it eliminated the float that the stock suspension creates. The springs eliminated the float, and the sway bars contribute to less body yaw.
I wanted a bit more turn in control and stability so I started looking at and installed Tom's braces. All the Tom's braces available have been installed. The braces have contributed to tightening up the feel of the car. The car now feels like a solid car and the improvement was felt immediately after install.
For more engine sound I have installed a 4th gen gs f-sport intake tube with sound creator. This creates a nice gurgle sound from the engine above 4500rpm. This simply compliments the sound that the exhaust produces. (tanabe touring medalion)
Overall I love the way my car has evolved. I never thought I would enjoy the CVT transmission as much as I have. I believe there are still some items that I want to do but just don't know what they are. I am thinking bushing replacement is on the horizon. Small touches here and there, like oem mudguards, finish off the look. Ok enough chit chat I'll start by listing threads!

Not the thread starter, but you will get to see the hid bulbs I am using. Carmate giga hid 6000k dualx. A cool looking hid bulb with glass housing.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...hid-bulbs.html

LED front turn signals to eliminate "yolk"
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...gnal-lamp.html

GS450h rated Tanabe NF210 springs
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...installed.html

Tanabe touring medalion on GS450h
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...car-video.html

Toms front suspension member brace and strut tower brace
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ed-gs450h.html

Tom's rear member brace and lower body brace are installed but no thread. Currently running into an issue with one of the braces fitting. Since I have fsport sway bars the bushing bracket is different and causing fitment issues. I will be modifying the bushing bracket to create the clearance I need. The braces have contributed to a tighter turn in and overall body stability have improved. It has gotten rid of the "slop" that the car has in stock form. (Update) Instead of modifying parts I have installed the stock sway bar as it was designed to fit with the rear member brace.

ADDED!= Seibon Carbon fiber trunk half piece. Rest of trunk is for sale!

Potential final look with wheels that are ordered, but have not arrived yet (now on car!). Photo altered with my sick ms paint skills! Rays racing G27 in 18x8.5 et45. I am going for the daily driver setup and look. We don't all have to be slammed! Thanks for looking!

Last edited by rl9010; 04-24-19 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-22-17, 05:04 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Now with new wheels and tires! Rays Engineering Volk Racing G27 18x8.5 et 45. ie stock specs. 19.4 pounds per wheel! 44lbs with tires! Rays g27 Dark Prism Silver
Compare vs the paint version!
That center lock look...
Old 04-24-19, 10:34 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Updated with video review by Auto Obsessive Garage.

Old 04-25-19, 03:41 AM
rryba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow what a clean build! I do not see a lot of hybrids there so really keep it going! Do you have any exhaust sound clips ?
Old 04-25-19, 09:07 AM
Lwerewolf
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That shift-up at ~120kph is slow. For how long was the car driven prior to this? Repeated launches tend to yield way faster shifts in my case. At any rate, might've affected 1/4 mile.

Resetting the memory of the transmission (techstream -> hybrid control -> utilities -> reset memory, manual states that oil should be between 30-40 deg. celsius) does help in my case, my only guesses are that 1) the car is stuck in "lazy shift" mode due to everyday normal driving and/or 2) the transmission is worn and the ECU detects/compensates as it runs. Running Amsoil FE ATF didn't help much with that, if you're wondering

- the shift here sounds about right.

With regards to the car's racing ability...
- Macau GP
- this guy has several more clips of him on the track with the gsh on the channel.

That's all I've found, the rest is acceleration videos only

Last edited by Lwerewolf; 04-25-19 at 09:11 AM. Reason: ...I can't make the videos non-embedded... sorry for the huge size.
Old 04-28-19, 06:44 AM
rryba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great finds, I search for while any video from a track day with gsh but it's pretty hard to find. Thanks for posting this!
Old 04-29-19, 01:43 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Here are some exhaust videos that I took.

Lwerewolf, Yes you are right the transition from stage one to two did seem a little elongated. Must be due to normal driving. I have been able to get the change over a little quicker just by driving the car more aggressively. Honestly we only did 2 runs for acceleration. Down and back... I didn't charge up the battery to full as I thought a real world test wouldn't have any car prep. I am sure the time can come down a tad with some preparation.

Search youtube for Lexus targa gs450h. I decided to purchase the car after watching some of those clips.
Old 04-29-19, 04:31 PM
Lwerewolf
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rl9010 View Post
Lwerewolf, Yes you are right the transition from stage one to two did seem a little elongated. Must be due to normal driving. I have been able to get the change over a little quicker just by driving the car more aggressively. Honestly we only did 2 runs for acceleration. Down and back... I didn't charge up the battery to full as I thought a real world test wouldn't have any car prep. I am sure the time can come down a tad with some preparation.

Search youtube for Lexus targa gs450h. I decided to purchase the car after watching some of those clips.
Oh, the targa clips as well, too. There's also a best motoring episode featuring the 450h vs the 4.5l fuga sport & gs430... with the 450h on turanzas

I experimented a bit, and the shifts do become noticeably faster once the fluid goes above 70deg. celsius, which doesn't really happen during normal driving in 15 degrees ambient. Several consecutive 50-140kph accelerations did the trick, but that's a bit beyond real world

If I floor it without ehhh "prepping" the fluid in any way, even after an hour of driving, the shift speed is like the one you posted.
The following users liked this post:
rl9010 (05-29-19)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RL9010's modified 2011 GS450h

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: