Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok I am moving to TX...
Old 08-16-12, 05:26 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice Jeff!

I am running the same LQ9 coils on my car , the best coils ever i am sure you will love them!

Can you make some brackets for the ge non vvti? I have been looking for set for mine and couldn't find anything.

What ECU are you running? Are you doing wasted spark or direct fire?

looks good man keep the pics coming.
Old 08-16-12, 09:24 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Nice Jeff!

I am running the same LQ9 coils on my car , the best coils ever i am sure you will love them!

Can you make some brackets for the ge non vvti? I have been looking for set for mine and couldn't find anything.

What ECU are you running? Are you doing wasted spark or direct fire?

looks good man keep the pics coming.
What's the difference on the GE non-VVTi? The GE VVTi and GTE VVTi and GTE non-VVTi can all use the same brackets. I don't have the GE nonVVTi head in front of me at the moment so I can't check. What's the difference? Maybe if you can snap a picture, but I won't really be able to do any designing and fabricating unless I have the actual head here on my bench to do a true test fit and mock up.
Old 08-17-12, 05:33 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Jeff,

On the non vvti ge you don't have those holes to bolt the coils down in the galley, because the non vvti ge never came with COP.The vvti ge /gte and the non vvti gte those 3 has the holes 10mm bolts that hold the coil brackets to the head.

I am not sure if you understand what i am saying?
Old 08-17-12, 08:17 AM
bachde
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
good luck and keep us posted...looking forward to this
Originally Posted by JeffTsai
So, I've been trying to build a GS-F. Basically how I think a GS with high performance trim should of came from the factory. Slowly but surely it's coming along.

Brackets fabricated, test fitting in car.

That's a smart way to do some swaps...

such a nice pair of seats from the IS-F

De
Old 08-17-12, 02:05 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice Jeff!
Originally Posted by JeffTsai
What's the difference on the GE non-VVTi? The GE VVTi and GTE VVTi and GTE non-VVTi can all use the same brackets.
Jeff, On the non vvti ge you don't have those holes to bolt the coils down in the galley, because the non vvti ge never came with COP.The vvti ge /gte and the non vvti gte those 3 has the holes 10mm bolts that hold the coil brackets to the head.
Yup the non-vvti GE such as 147, early mkiv, and SC300 had a distributor based GE.. So no provisions for packs to be mounted..

With the low price and easy availability of 1000's of vvti GE engines all over the US I would just swap the motor out instead and ditch all that distributor setup completely, and if ever going turbo it just gets in the way..

But even if you just swapped the head that would work as well, you don't have to use the VVTI function/gear you can eliminate it if needed.

Old 08-27-12, 12:32 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Updates 8/27/2012

Been working on the car like crazy all weekend. Worked for 20 hours straight yesterday...what a PITA!

Took a break at around 4AM. Got some food and watched The Dictator on the garage computer lol. This took up about 2 hours of the night.

Had to pull the head off to send off to the machine shop. Decked the head a bit more to raise the compression ratio.

Then this was literally the worst part of it all lol. I had to replace the oil pump because one of the threads for the timing belt tensioner stripped out! The motor will now be an interference engine due to the raised compression ratio, so I had to fix the problem. I haaaaate pulling the oil pan out of the car while the engine is still in. It's doable, but absolutely NOT fun to do. This whole process from teardown all the way to having the new pump and pan back on took me about 6-7 hours!

Pan is off the bottom and new pump has been fitted. While I was down here, I noticed that both of my motor mounts were torn in half. So good thing I discovered that before putting down even more power lol.

Back from the machine shop. Checked for straightness and decked the surface more to raise compression ratio.

New HG fitted. Using a 2JZ-GE headgasket. Trying to get as much CR as possible.

Starting to come together. Head is back on with the ARP CA625+ headstuds.

Finished fabricating up a few parts. Car is almost back together and ready to fire up.

Here's my fuel surge tank and pump setup that's going in my trunk. I was missing a few parts to finish this so I'll have to hold off for a bit. Currently running the car on the single intank Aeromotive 340lph

More updates to come soon as I finish up the new fuel system and hopefully put down some higher numbers on the dyno.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 08-27-12 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-27-12, 07:27 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

looks awesome... and i can't believe you have subs in the back too... hahahaha...
Old 08-28-12, 04:00 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Changed the oil pan in the car, haha that's a ***** man, bet you were cussing a little during that. That thing is tight on the crossmember, I'd prob take the motor out the car at that point since you took so much else off at the same time... These lex motor mounts don't seem to last to awful long either

What fuel pumps you running, are those external bosch 044's?
Old 08-28-12, 08:00 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

^^^ Yes they are 044 external, with surge tank! Nice Jeff.

My only concern is the main Cap.. they will not last on that CR with E85around 700+lbs tq , may wanna looking into the tms billet main or the program billet main caps.The stock one will not last .
Old 08-29-12, 06:40 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

kinda off topic but i was just wondering, what kind of suspension upgrades did you do to keep the car on the floor?

Besides coilovers, what eles did you change out?

any info, would really help. thanks
Old 10-02-12, 10:10 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-12-13, 02:57 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, It's been a LONG time since updates. I did a lot of stuff and took pictures fortunately I just didn't have any time to post them. Finally got some extra time tonight to post up some goodies!

Update 12/15/2012

Ok so this car has been long overdue to have a real turbo exhaust manifold. I've been using the ebay China manifold for freaking ever. It's cheap at $150 and is "good enough", but it was time to make some real power. I ran that China manifold up to 800whp so it's really not TOO bad, but I wanted better

SO...everything is coming out. Here's one last shot of the old setup.

The old manifold. I've modified, ported and rewelded that thing so many times. It was finally time to send it to the pasture.

New shiny pipe. Schedule 10 Stainless pipe

Finished one side of the divided collector. I'll show you how it's made.

First. Use $1500 saw to made precise angled cuts in pipe.

Check that fitment is perfect. Any gaps or seams will cause power loss.

Ok, now all 3 fitment are good to go.

Weld them up. Make sure to have very accurate heat control to reduce material warpage. Stainless steel is very sensitive to excessive heat when welding, so it's very easy to warp the material.

Getting a bunch of random pieces to start making the runner sections. Here's the really "fun" part that will have you pulling your hair out!

More to come....

Quick Reply: ProjectGS: My GS-F Build Thread