Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

ProjectGS: My GS-F Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 12:21 PM
rush161
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How difficult is it to fit the ISF BBK kit ?
Old 04-16-13, 01:52 PM
ohboitony
Driver School Candidate

Whoa I just went from 1st page to 15 in 2 hours! Great work and one day I would like to be like you. I fix cars as well but no where near you. Keep up the good work sir!
Old 04-17-13, 08:07 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my Motec M800 for 6K installed with MIL SPEC harness and all but I got a deal on it because it was used. I had the AEM V1 and V2 in my Lexus. The Motec made a world of difference, the car sounds different too. The first time I drove it I said to my tuner Darin Dichara... "The car sounds more ..." trying to think of the word, and Darin said "Crisp" I replied, yes that's the word I was looking for, crisp. He said to me, that's because you don't have a ****ty AEM running things lol..

The driveability is amazing, now I see why Underground Racing and John Reed only put Motec's in the Turbo Gallardo's. It's worth every dime.
Old 04-17-13, 02:40 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I do a bunch of these and don't have any issues and the cars all idle and drive perfectly with the aem. Motec is simpler to tune, and many tuners prefer it for the simplicity and control. I spend the extra seat time when tuning the aem. There's a lot of back end setting that will make the engine more "crisp". Most tuners don't bother to need with those because it's extremely time consuming. I have plenty of time to set it up lol. The motec has a lot of that stuff automated so running time is significantly less. If I had the extra money I might put in a motec, proefi, or infinity. But this will have to do for now haha.
Old 04-17-13, 04:34 PM
kamshaft
Rookie

jw same jeff from jeffs garage 2j timing belt change lol?
Old 04-17-13, 04:58 PM
kamshaft
Rookie

im pretty sure i had an eyegasm when i saw the port job on the head aroung page 5 ish!!!!

the stuff ur building is insane compared to my ranger lol

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/for...ld-281735.html
Old 04-17-13, 05:43 PM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I do a bunch of these and don't have any issues and the cars all idle and drive perfectly with the aem. Motec is simpler to tune, and many tuners prefer it for the simplicity and control. I spend the extra seat time when tuning the aem. There's a lot of back end setting that will make the engine more "crisp". Most tuners don't bother to need with those because it's extremely time consuming. I have plenty of time to set it up lol. The motec has a lot of that stuff automated so running time is significantly less. If I had the extra money I might put in a motec, proefi, or infinity. But this will have to do for now haha.
Well Darin Dichara is one of the best in the world for tuning, he was Titan's top guy before he started his own business and he is always flying all over the world tuning race cars and street cars. There is a reason when you go to the Performance Racing Industry trade show that just about every race car on display is using a Motec. It's the software that makes it so good. Anyway good luck to you, the car looks great.
Old 04-17-13, 07:58 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ You're comparing hamburger to filet mignon. Of course the filet is better. It also costs 10x as much. You get what you pay for.

I think we can agree that piggybacks are fine for daily drivers or budget builds that just need to run decently and reliably and advanced stand-alones are the best-case-scenario for max power.

I tell you what, though. Drivability is better on a piggyback, in my opinion. I have one car on a stand-alone and one car on a piggyback. The car on the stand-alone runs like a miracle at WOT but is quirky during normal driving. The car on a piggyback drives like a stock Lexus when driven normally but is quirky at random WOT/high load scenarios from time to time.

And I also think we can agree wo don't need to be cluttering up Jeff's build thread with this off-topic conversation anymore. Maybe a moderator can move it to it's own thread? Just sayin'. I hate when people **** up my build thread on Club Roadster.
Old 04-18-13, 06:37 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adamgamz
Well Darin Dichara is one of the best in the world for tuning, he was Titan's top guy before he started his own business and he is always flying all over the world tuning race cars and street cars. There is a reason when you go to the Performance Racing Industry trade show that just about every race car on display is using a Motec. It's the software that makes it so good. Anyway good luck to you, the car looks great.
No doubt the Motec is top dog. I'm not arguing that. I would get one if it was in my budget at the moment lol. I can get the EMS to run pretty stout, but it just takes a LOOONG time compared to the better systems. Motec you can almost do the same in a fraction of the time. I'm just saying most tuners are not willing to spend the extra back end time to make an AEM run great unless you pay the much extra for tuning time. So they usually dog on it and tell people to get a different system.

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
^^ You're comparing hamburger to filet mignon. Of course the filet is better. It also costs 10x as much. You get what you pay for.
It's ok. Adam knows his stuff, and we're all talking about standalones. Motec is better, but I'm not sure it's 8x better to justify the cost. Maybe if it was like $3-4k then it would be more reasonable, but at $8k it's something you have to think twice about before diving into haha.
Old 04-18-13, 07:32 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your V2 will do just fine , my friend shop is one of the beta tester I will let you know how the V2 works with FF!

The new infinity is a badass ECU, my friend is running that in his Supra , he has been running this ECU for the past 6 months .

That's will be another alternative if you don't like the V2.

V1 and V2 don't have nothing on the Infinity , that's another animal Jeff!
Old 04-18-13, 07:40 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at $8k it's something you have to think twice about before diving into haha.
You need to rustle up a bunch more NA-T customers!
Old 04-18-13, 11:30 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

No doubt the Motec is top dog. I'm not arguing that. I would get one if it was in my budget at the moment lol. I can get the EMS to run pretty stout, but it just takes a LOOONG time compared to the better systems. Motec you can almost do the same in a fraction of the time. I'm just saying most tuners are not willing to spend the extra back end time to make an AEM run great unless you pay the much extra for tuning time. So they usually dog on it and tell people to get a different system.

It's ok. Adam knows his stuff, and we're all talking about standalones. Motec is better, but I'm not sure it's 8x better to justify the cost. Maybe if it was like $3-4k then it would be more reasonable, but at $8k it's something you have to think twice about before diving into haha.
I agree with you totally on the price. I was able to get my Motec 2nd hand off of Darin with Flex Fuel and traction control for 4K so it wasn't such a hard hit. Any more and I would have gone PRO EFI.

Next year I'm coming bringing my Lexus to TX2K14, I was there this year but with a rental. Hopefully we can meet up there and represent the GS300.
Old 04-26-13, 02:36 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adamgamz
Next year I'm coming bringing my Lexus to TX2K14, I was there this year but with a rental. Hopefully we can meet up there and represent the GS300.
Hell yea man. We need to represent next year. I'm always the ONLY 2GS out there every year lol. There are a bunch of IS300 and SC300, but never any GS300. I didn't make it out there this year because of the aforementioned projects listed in this thread lol. We will plan better for the next years event.
Old 05-20-13, 06:00 AM
ches300
Driver School Candidate

this build made me wanna join this site, keep it up brother!
Old 06-17-13, 10:21 PM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Wow,this was a bad *** thread.i love it when I see NA-T vvti GE builds.Jeff what tranny you using in the grey GS?

Quick Reply: ProjectGS: My GS-F Build Thread