Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bead Maker...! or ...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 06:59 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts
Default Bead Maker...! or ...?

I saw JDR76 and jdpdata chatting about BM in another thread and thought it was time for a BM thread.

1) I'm also new to BM (partly based on jdpdata's raves) and I too have mixed feelings. I applied Sonax Polymer Net Shield on my GS back in September and have topped it with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer every other wash since then. Sprayed the BM on top and wow! Slick, slick, slick! Nice shine as well. Can't stop touching the paint, so smooth...

2) So polished my Sequoia with Blackfire One Step and topped with BM... Wha? Where did the slickness go? Stopped halfway and did the rest of the truck with Meguiar's Ultimate Spray Wax, slicker and just as shiny. It rained a few days and I'll tell you, the Meg's beaded up better, and the truck was noticeably cleaner on the Meg's side. On AGO, someone surmised that BM does not always play well with all waxes, so that could be what I'm seeing (or not seeing) here.

On the GS, I've been using the BM as a Quick Detailer and it works well, but... after a handwash, I can tell you the BM is not as hydrophobic as the BSD. When the BM is done, I may not be replenishing my stock... but while I have it... oooooh, that slickness...
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (05-28-19)
Old 05-28-19, 07:13 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Hmm..interesting observations. I haven't tried any of the Sonax stuff other than their wheel cleaner. I usually just stick with Meguiar's Ultimate Paste wax and Quick Detailer's spray. I can tell you BD definitely "bead" way more than with wax alone, water beads just slides right off my vehicle as soon as I start driving. I didn't say BD was better than any other stuff out there. They all produce beads and will shine. I just prefer BD because it's relative cheap compare to the other stuff and I can use it on all surfaces: paint, glass, vinyl, plastic, leather. I spray on everything and just lightly buff, easy on/off. With most wax you gotta to be careful not to get it on plastic else it will cause discoloration. I will order a 2nd gallon of Bead Maker, and will continue to use it until something better comes.

Note; when you applied it on your Sequoia was the weather warm and dry? I heard in humid environment BD is much tougher to apply and buff off correctly. I usually do mine on a warm day inside the garage. Also did you applied BD liberally on your first application. First application, I literally soak the entire car in BD, I then spread evenly onto paint and let it penetrate into the paint for a few minutes before buff to dry. And then every 3-5 weeks I re-apply a lighter coat to replenish the protection. You do have to use alot of the product to see better results. It's cheap so I don't mind.

Last edited by jdpdata; 05-28-19 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-28-19, 07:30 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I haven't tried the BM yet. I use Adam's H20 G&G and love it on both my metallic black RX & GS. I assume it has similar results to BM. It's almost like it brings the metallic closer to the surface.
Old 05-28-19, 07:31 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I just ordered a bottle of Bm. And excited to see the results.
Old 05-28-19, 07:41 PM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Note; when you applied it on your Sequoia was the weather warm and dry? I heard in humid environment BD is much tougher to apply and buff off correctly.
It was a warm dry day. My only thought is maybe I needed to let the BF wax set before I topped it with the BM. I plan on washing the truck a couple of times over the next month, re-polishing with the BF, let it sit for a spell, then apply the BM. Maybe it will setup differently. I find these "experiments" to be interesting and keeps me busy when I get bored.

I will say though, the ease of application makes using the BM a lot of fun. Everything gets so clean and slick. I haven't yet applied to my wheels, in fact, I'll do so tonight since I plan on using the GS in the morning.
Old 05-28-19, 07:53 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by chinee
It was a warm dry day. My only thought is maybe I needed to let the BF wax set before I topped it with the BM. I plan on washing the truck a couple of times over the next month, re-polishing with the BF, let it sit for a spell, then apply the BM. Maybe it will setup differently. I find these "experiments" to be interesting and keeps me busy when I get bored.

I will say though, the ease of application makes using the BM a lot of fun. Everything gets so clean and slick. I haven't yet applied to my wheels, in fact, I'll do so tonight since I plan on using the GS in the morning.
Yeah, try letting the wax set for a couple days before applying BD next time. Always start with a decontaminated surface (claybar is a must) for best results. First application takes a lot of work, but subsequent application will be very easy. The ease of using BD on any surface really does make the job quicker. I don't have to worry about over-spray on windshield or headlights. I noticed my windshield doesn't fog up as much with BD applied on the inside of glass. Smells great too!
Old 05-28-19, 07:59 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
I just ordered a bottle of Bm. And excited to see the results.
Get the gallon size, it's a much better deal. Pint will only last you couple of applications. First application I use alot, about 8-10 oz of the stuff. Subsequent application, I use about 3-4 oz.
I ordered this one on Amazon, love those Rag Company EDGELESS 500 MF towels.

https://www.amazon.com/Detailing-Products-C2501-Protectant-Gallon/dp/B07KFMNSPY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3PMDJGKFQU1XN&keywords=bead%2Bmaker&qid=1559098434&s=gateway&sprefix=bead%2Bmaker%2Caps%2C203&sr=8-1-spons&smid=A1RKELVBY446LD&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/Detailing-Products-C2501-Protectant-Gallon/dp/B07KFMNSPY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3PMDJGKFQU1XN&keywords=bead%2Bmaker&qid=1559098434&s=gateway&sprefix=bead%2Bmaker%2Caps%2C203&sr=8-1-spons&smid=A1RKELVBY446LD&th=1
Old 05-28-19, 08:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The immature juvenile in me is just cracking up about a “BM thread”.
GunnyFitz (05-31-19)
Old 05-28-19, 08:27 PM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

How do you guys find the time to do this. The wife and kids are always glued to my hip.
Old 05-28-19, 08:46 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by NebulaGrey
How do you guys find the time to do this. The wife and kids are always glued to my hip.
crack out the whip and put them to work if they're on the hip
Old 05-29-19, 03:01 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Moved to correct location
Old 05-29-19, 10:23 AM
cdmn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you guys think $30 for a gallon of beadmaker is a good price?
Old 05-29-19, 10:35 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by cdmn
Do you guys think $30 for a gallon of beadmaker is a good price?
Hell yeah. Where did you find that price? I bought mine through Amazon ship and sold by The Rag Company. Purchase from another vendor and I never received it. Amazon was nice enough to credit me the non receipt shipment. So be careful where you purchased from. Lots of people complaints of fluid leaking all over the box. I didn't have a problem with The Rag Company.
Old 05-29-19, 11:12 AM
chinee
Racer

$30 for a gallon is a good price.

I used BM on the passenger side front wheel and my BSD on the driver’s side front. Going to see which one repels more dust (attracts less dust) over the next 2-3 weeks. The BM went on super-easy, while the thicker BSD went almost goopy, but they’re both shiny as anything.
jdpdata (05-29-19)
Old 05-29-19, 11:36 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

I use BD on chrome lip of my rims. I do find it easier to clean. Dust still stick to it but easily blown off with pressure washer. Never used any acidic chemical wheel cleaners on my rims, just car soap and water.

Quick Reply: Bead Maker...! or ...?