Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bead Maker...! or ...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-19, 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I have used all of those products yes. I prefer ready to use products.
Old 06-25-19, 08:50 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Update... OK, so I applied Bead Maker and Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer on the hood and trunk of my wife's black Taurus; BM on the driver's side, BSD on the passenger side. After 10 days (3 or 4 rainy), I'm looking at the paint, and honestly, both sides look the same, both slightly dusty. Upon touching the surface though, I can easily feel that there's more dust on the BM side, no oily film though as I'd experienced in the past. I've not seen the car wet yet so I can't speak to the hydrophobic qualities, beading, or how fast and effectively water is being repelled.

Again, visually, both sides appear identical; I was surprised and really expected to see a distinct difference. I tried to take pictures, but the overhead fluorescents in the garage were reflecting in the paint and dominating the image.

If I find the time, I will wash the car again this weekend and report back on additional observations.
The following users liked this post:
Beachtyme (06-27-19)
Old 06-26-19, 07:07 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I just view BM a general DS that gives a decent gloss. I apply it every time I wash and don't expect any miracles from it. I expect my protection to come from the coating I applied. I think it's reasonably priced for the gallon and use it as a clay lube also. Satisfied how it looks on my hood.
JDR76 (06-26-19)
Old 06-30-19, 06:06 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Now I see that BM has a, "Limited Edition" R/W/B out now... Good grief, the hype on this overpriced product just doesn't stop.

https://www.autogeek.net/bead-maker-special-kit.html

If you don't buy it, consider yourself UN-American!!
Old 06-30-19, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Product still works great for me, and I just don't understand how $10.99 a bottle is overpriced...crappy QD's at Pep Boys cost more than that. Having the gallon for $33, the cost for me is maybe $7 a bottle? Pretty cheap.

Perhaps if you don't like it you should just move on to products you do like?
Old 06-30-19, 07:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chinee
Update... OK, so I applied Bead Maker and Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer on the hood and trunk of my wife's black Taurus; BM on the driver's side, BSD on the passenger side. After 10 days (3 or 4 rainy), I'm looking at the paint, and honestly, both sides look the same, both slightly dusty. Upon touching the surface though, I can easily feel that there's more dust on the BM side, no oily film though as I'd experienced in the past. I've not seen the car wet yet so I can't speak to the hydrophobic qualities, beading, or how fast and effectively water is being repelled.

Again, visually, both sides appear identical; I was surprised and really expected to see a distinct difference. I tried to take pictures, but the overhead fluorescents in the garage were reflecting in the paint and dominating the image.

If I find the time, I will wash the car again this weekend and report back on additional observations.
Side to side on a silver car, I think most products are going to look identical.
Old 06-30-19, 08:52 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Product still works great for me, and I just don't understand how $10.99 a bottle is overpriced...crappy QD's at Pep Boys cost more than that. Having the gallon for $33, the cost for me is maybe $7 a bottle? Pretty cheap.

Perhaps if you don't like it you should just move on to products you do like?
I use several and I put this one in the same category as GG's speed shine, it's pricey on a per use basis. I've found that certain QD's work better at certain tasks and, as stated, I look at cost per use for the specific task.

Since you're a BM fan guy, I suppose my opinion of it is offending you? Sorry, bro, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers out there. My true issue with it is this; It was marketed and shilled as the 2nd coming of QD Christ by certain YT personalities and that's where I have issue. Is it a quality product? Yes, I feel it is definitely a good, quality product. I see a little more "gimmick" to it than it being a substantially better QD spray.

Then again, the R/W/B special edition may just make my flag wave a little nicer on this coming 4th of July, who knows??
Old 06-30-19, 11:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not a fan guy at all, I am not so into detailing that I become a "fan guy" of anything. I'm using this product now, and eventually when it runs out I'll try something else and I'll use that. I just find your reaction to a decent product amusing. You hate the "hype" so you run down the product, even though the product is perfectly fine. Its like Zaino, people LOVED to hate on Zaino, when in reality in its time Zaino was a fine product. What people like to do is rail against the "hype".

I've watched the YT videos, and that's what made me try it...my experience with the product hasn't shown me that anything that was said in any of the YT videos I watched wasn't true. It's super easy to use, smells good, never streaks, is very high gloss, creates really tight beading, and has a very wet look on the car. Thats what all the YT videos said about it...and that's been exactly my experience. So...whats the hype?

The statement that an $11 per bottle $32 per gallon QD is "overpriced" is just simply not an objective opinion. If anything, its actually fairly cheap.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-30-19 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-30-19, 11:56 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

I'm not a fan guy at all, I am not so into detailing that I become a "fan guy" of anything. I'm using this product now, and eventually when it runs out I'll try something else and I'll use that. I just find your reaction to a decent product amusing. You hate the "hype" so you run down the product, even though the product is perfectly fine. Its like Zaino, people LOVED to hate on Zaino, when in reality in its time Zaino was a fine product. What people like to do is rail against the "hype".
I don't recall ever stating that I hate anything, including hype and even more specifically Bead Maker? You're clearly inferring that as your point of view, fair enough. What I don't like is seeing people spend $$ on the hype machine that's shilled by people that are being directly compensated for hyping said product.

I've watched the YT videos, and that's what made me try it...my experience with the product hasn't shown me that anything that was said in any of the YT videos I watched wasn't true. It's super easy to use, smells good, never streaks, is very high gloss, creates really tight beading, and has a very wet look on the car. Thats what all the YT videos said about it...and that's been exactly my experience. So...whats the hype?

The statement that an $11 per bottle $32 per gallon QD is "overpriced" is just simply not an objective opinion. If anything, its actually fairly cheap.
Perhaps we can agree to just disagree, at least I can do so. That being said, why don't you do a cost analysis of the top 3 QD's and let the public judge what's the best bang for the $$? Since, after all, that would be not be an opinion and would be quite objective in the cost per use / ounce / bottle or whatever quantitative metric you'd like to use.
Old 06-30-19, 11:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beachtyme
I don't recall ever stating that I hate anything, including hype and even more specifically Bead Maker? You're clearly inferring that as your point of view, fair enough. What I don't like is seeing people spend $$ on the hype machine that's shilled by people that are being directly compensated for hyping said product.
But as I said, the product performs as advertised, and it's relatively inexpensive...what is it that you were told the product would do that it doesn't do?

Perhaps we can agree to just disagree, at least I can do so. That being said, why don't you do a cost analysis of the top 3 QD's and let the public judge what's the best bang for the $$? Since, after all, that would be not be an opinion and would be quite objective in the cost per use / ounce / bottle or whatever quantitative metric you'd like to use.
Why would I want to do that? Its an $11 bottle of QD, I have better things to do. I spent more than that on lunch

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-30-19 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 12:09 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

But as I said, the product performs as advertised, and it's relatively inexpensive...what is it that you were told the product would do that it doesn't do?
No one told me anything directly, it was my observation of how it was portrayed and (yes, GASP) hyped by certain people.

Why would I want to do that? Its an $11 bottle of QD, I have better things to do.
Clearly...
Old 06-30-19, 12:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So your issue is as you admit about your perception of its "hype" not the product itself. Thanks.
Old 06-30-19, 01:19 PM
chinee
Racer

Side to side on a silver car, I think most products are going to look identical.
Agreed, but this comparison was on my wife black Taurus.

Last edited by chinee; 06-30-19 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 01:29 PM
chinee
Racer

So your issue is as you admit about your perception of its "hype" not the product itself. Thanks.
Me too... It's not a bad product, but the hype around it on YT form Pan, Obsessed and quite a few others, had my expectations quite high, so much so that when I tried it, it was a huge disappointment. Not a bad product, but the marketing fanfare was deceptive, classic over-promise and under-deliver.
Beachtyme (06-30-19)
Old 06-30-19, 01:53 PM
chinee
Racer

So it's been 2 weeks, a few days of rain in that time and I've noticed a small difference.

Friday night, the Taurus was looking dirty, with the hood clearly showing brown water streaks and spots... looks like I'll be washing this weekend. Saturday morning, thunderstorm while the wife was out. Upon her return, the rain had let up so the Taurus was already dry. Wow! All the brown water streaks are gone and the hood looks remarkably clean, no need to wash the Taurus anymore. I ran my fingers along the hood in a wavy manner over a 12' area, on both sides. The BSD side had a light dusting with a little road grime, the BM side was noticeably thicker (3 times as much?) with dust and grime. But visually, both sides looked the same.

After washing, I applied BSD and BM a second time. Let's see how it looks in a few more weeks.

Before washing the hood.

After a wash with Meg's Gold Class.

Quick Reply: Bead Maker...! or ...?