Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bead Maker...! or ...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-19, 02:54 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Beachtyme
IMO, the best way to test this post wash would be to do 1/2 the hood in BM using a tape line separation to determine if you can SEE or feel the difference.
On the next wash of the wife's ride, I'll be applying BSD on one side of the hood and BM on the other. It's black so the differences should be apparent. Tell me... would IPA remove the existing BM and the Blackfire One Step AIO I applied a few weeks ago? If so, is there a particular type or concentration I should purchase, or would any bottle from Walgreens do?
Old 06-02-19, 05:39 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
On the next wash of the wife's ride, I'll be applying BSD on one side of the hood and BM on the other. It's black so the differences should be apparent. Tell me... would IPA remove the existing BM and the Blackfire One Step AIO I applied a few weeks ago? If so, is there a particular type or concentration I should purchase, or would any bottle from Walgreens do?
Yes, the IPA (with the alcohol being a fairly strong solvent) should remove any and all protection that's on the car's finish.

What I'd recommend would be an aggressive touch wash (scrubbing the paint with car soap and a wash mitt in the area(s) to be tested at the minimum), rinse and drying, followed with a clay bar and then the IPA wipe down so you know 100% you've removed all protection, embedded particles and contaminates (the only extra step would be a decon type of soap to remove ferrous metals while doing your aforementioned touch wash). At this point you're down to the bare clear coat. You've now removed any chance of something else interacting with the spray on coating and have leveled the playing field for your product comparison. I presume that's your goal here? Keep in mind as you layer product(s) there's always the chance of interaction between the layers of applied products.

AG has a great write up on IPA use and concentrations, **NOTE** most people use way to strong of an IPA solution that could potentially damage the clear coat, this is one of those times when if 1 is good, 2 is better thought process can actually cause unintended harm. I'd rather do two (2) wipe downs with a weaker IPA dilution than 1 with to strong of a mix.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...n-results.html

I always do the IPA after the clay'ing process as clay does very slight mechanical damage to the finish as it removes the embedded contaminates, but the clay lube spray does put a small amount of protection on the surface being clay'd. The IPA will also remove all the residual clay bar that may be left on the surface, which there's always a little bit left no matter how much lube is used.

Isopropyl Alcohol at any store will work just fine. You're not needing reagent grade, any off the shelf 70% will work just fine.
Old 06-06-19, 03:29 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Interesting results on this comparison that involves BM:

Old 06-06-19, 04:30 AM
chinee
Racer

That's been about my take on BM so far.

for:
- Ease of application
- Best slick feeling in the industry
- Shine and Gloss Enhancer
- Easiest quick detailer ever

for:
- Much less beading that the competition, even less performance than products that cost much less, like Meguiar's and Turtle Wax spray waxes and detailers
- Under-par hydrophobic qualities on paint
- Water spotting is evident on paint; never noticed water spotting on my Liquid Platinum before using BM
- Under-par hydrophobic qualities on glass; Rain X is by far a superior product; it rained this past weekend and BM on my windshield was a disappointment, I wanted to stop and apply Rain X
- Dust, dust and more dust, after a week or more, the build up of dust is unbelievable
- Grime build up. Haven't yet determined if it attracts this oily film I see on the surface causing the dust to stick, or if the environmental conditions are causing the BM to "turn into" this oily film... heat and humidity of South Florida perhaps?

I haven't done my intended side by side experiment of BM and BSD yet (out of town this week), so I'll start that this weekend. Like my son has told me... above is my hypothesis, the experiment will either support or refute my beliefs.

But now... what about this line of Nova products? Especially the Jet and Boost...? Interesting stuff!
Old 06-06-19, 05:11 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Originally Posted by chinee
That's been about my take on BM so far.

for:
- Ease of application
- Best slick feeling in the industry
- Shine and Gloss Enhancer
- Easiest quick detailer ever

for:
- Much less beading that the competition, even less performance than products that cost much less, like Meguiar's and Turtle Wax spray waxes and detailers
- Under-par hydrophobic qualities on paint
- Water spotting is evident on paint; never noticed water spotting on my Liquid Platinum before using BM
- Under-par hydrophobic qualities on glass; Rain X is by far a superior product; it rained this past weekend and BM on my windshield was a disappointment, I wanted to stop and apply Rain X
- Dust, dust and more dust, after a week or more, the build up of dust is unbelievable
- Grime build up. Haven't yet determined if it attracts this oily film I see on the surface causing the dust to stick, or if the environmental conditions are causing the BM to "turn into" this oily film... heat and humidity of South Florida perhaps?

I haven't done my intended side by side experiment of BM and BSD yet (out of town this week), so I'll start that this weekend. Like my son has told me... above is my hypothesis, the experiment will either support or refute my beliefs.

But now... what about this line of Nova products? Especially the Jet and Boost...? Interesting stuff!
Dunno on the rest, didn't take the time to watch the entire vid, just skimmed the parts as it related to BM.

I'm seeing more and more my original feeling that BM is really just overpriced, over-hyped detail spray in a container.
Old 06-06-19, 07:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm on my second bottle of Bead Maker and have cooled off on my enthusiasm for it. It works fine (except for some really visible streaking when I used a quick detailer on top of it) but I don't think it's any better than my other go to spray waxes and detailers. I'm not sure if I'll keep using it. The hype and buzz on BM has been impressive though.
Old 06-06-19, 09:03 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm on my second bottle of Bead Maker and have cooled off on my enthusiasm for it. It works fine (except for some really visible streaking when I used a quick detailer on top of it) but I don't think it's any better than my other go to spray waxes and detailers. I'm not sure if I'll keep using it. The hype and buzz on BM has been impressive though.
I think P&S just developed a product with really good slickness and gloss and everyone else just ran away with it.
Old 06-06-19, 09:24 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,298 Posts

Turtle Wax Seal N Shine is better and much cheaper.
Old 06-07-19, 06:43 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexBob2
[...] The hype and buzz on BM has been impressive though.
Ahem, yeah that's called shilling a product.
Old 06-07-19, 08:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

No product is a "magic" product. I don't have any issues with "oily film" or grime buildup. Dust attraction seems typical to me. I use it as a QD, it has great gloss and slickness...it never streaks...what more would one want from a QD?

Overpriced? I think I spent $40 for a gallon?
Old 06-07-19, 03:26 PM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No product is a "magic" product. I don't have any issues with "oily film" or grime buildup. Dust attraction seems typical to me. I use it as a QD, it has great gloss and slickness...it never streaks...what more would one want from a QD?

How long do you go without a wash, quick detail or rain shower? If the surface is washed every week, or QD'ed each week, or it rains within a week, I think the dust and film will be washed off or be wiped off and won't be apparent.

I look at BM like everything else... it won't please everyone, but it will please some. It's just not turning out to be the best product for me...

I still have more than half a gallon, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to utilize what I have left, other than relegating it solely to the wife's company car.
Old 06-09-19, 03:52 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Compare that price to Detail Juice or ONR and it's quite expensive, right up there with GG's Speed Shine. I think the bottom line here is they're are all good products, so it really comes down to cost per use.

The issue I have is the shilling and hype of the uTube guys that claim it's the 2nd coming of Christ in a bottle.
Old 06-09-19, 09:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

But I think the product leaves a slicker, glossier surface than any of those products, and I don't have to mix it like I would Detail Juice or ONR used as a QD. Cost per use isn't something I even consider.

I think your issue with it is like you said more tied to the hype than the product itself.
Old 06-09-19, 02:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'll continue to use BM as a detailer as I do like the results. It's probably best to not use anything on top of it when it hasn't been on the car very long. I'll be getting a gallon. As you said, the savings are considerable and it becomes a pretty good value.
Old 06-11-19, 04:35 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

But I think the product leaves a slicker, glossier surface than any of those products, and I don't have to mix it like I would Detail Juice or ONR used as a QD. Cost per use isn't something I even consider.

I think your issue with it is like you said more tied to the hype than the product itself.
You think it does, have you actually tested it? I was hoping @chinee would to the comparison and we could see the results. Cost per use is something I definitely consider, and I spend plenty on detail products. Having multiple cars and watercraft, I look for value in the products I use, not hype.

I also prefer concentrated products for space purposes. I can easily add my own distilled H2O, I don't need a company to do that for me and charge a premium. It also allows me to vary my concentration(s) or use the product as an additive, which I do quite often.

Quick Reply: Bead Maker...! or ...?