Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Help water spots!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-18, 07:36 AM
allarounda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help water spots!!!

I bought a nice 2016 ES 350 and the dealership, of course, washed it before I took it home in the rain. The car is nightfall mica in color, think dark blue with speckles. I woke up the next morning to a car speckled all over in white spots. My bf diagnosed water spots. I found a good way with vinegar/distilled water to get rid of the spots, but what are the best products wax/sealer to keep spots and love bugs off my car? I live in FL. Lynn
Old 09-09-18, 08:11 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Welcome to the forum, allarounda.

I also live in FL. I use Meguiar's Ultimate liquid wax (actually a sealant) on my vehicles. I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer to remove water spots and follow with Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax spray to keep the paint protected and slick so that stuff removes easily. My vehicles are garaged. If the cars get pretty dirty, I do a hand wash and follow with Meguiar's UQW spray.

If you have an irrigation system, try not to let that water dry on the car. Our community has a separate irrigation water system. That water is treated but not to the level of palatable water and so it contains a lot of stuff that leaves horrible water spots.
Old 09-09-18, 09:13 AM
allarounda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I am so glad I was welcomed by a fellow Floridian! You know how terrible the environment here is to cars. I was just so happy with my car at the dealership and then walked out to the white polka dot clown car! Thanks for the products suggestions. I have always laughed at my bf with his car bras during love bug time, is there a lexus bra?
Old 09-09-18, 10:36 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Put a good sealant on the car once you get the water spots off. The ones you order from Amazon, Detailed Image, Auto Geek, etc tend to last longer and have better protection then most of the ones you pick up at stores. I recommend Blackfire Wet Diamond but there are many out there. Unfortunately they still won't fully protect your car from water spots if you have hard water that dries on the car, the best thing you can do is wash the car at night when the sun is down and make sure you dry it off thoroughly when you wash it. Don't wash the car in sunlight, you will get water spots immediately.

You can also try a ceramic coating, those are more expensive and are more difficult to apply but they do offer superior protection and durability to sealants, even those though will get water spots if you let the spots dry in the sun but normally they adhere as well and can be just washed off.
Old 09-09-18, 03:34 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah, Love bugs are a big problem if you do any dawn/dusk highway driving here in the south. These bugs are acidic and can etch paint if left on. Fortunately they come off easily if you use a quick detailer before they dry and harden. It usually only takes five minutes to clean them off if they are fresh and you follow with a synthetic sealant spray regularly. That keeps the paint pretty slippery so they don't stick very well and are easy to remove. Some times they are too thick to remove with a QD and you should wash the vehicle asap. Often just a high pressure water spray will remove them as long as you don't let then harden on the paint. They do make bras for almost any vehicle but I don't like them.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-09-18 at 03:39 PM.