Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Self drying car wash soap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-17, 02:10 PM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Self drying car wash soap?

Over the years I've had a couple of different self drying car wash soaps. They contain ingredients that remove the surface tension in water, so the rinse water rolls off the car. The last was the Mr. Clean car wash system, now defunct.

Is anybody still making anything similar?
Old 09-27-17, 11:08 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't think its good to let any soap dry on the car.

Are you talking about the spotless rinse water?
Old 11-08-17, 03:49 PM
natman
Advanced

Originally Posted by k20trick
I don't think its good to let any soap dry on the car.

Are you talking about the spotless rinse water?
I don't think it's a good idea to let the soap dry on the car either. The products I was referring to had ingredients that allowed the rinse water to roll off the car by itself. I'm not sure what "spotless rinse water" means.
Old 11-08-17, 05:29 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

As I understand it, products like the Mr. Clean AutoDry System were just inline filters that would remove the majority of minerals from the source water in an effort to make sure there were no water spots left on the paint after air drying.

It has nothing to do with surface tension. A reduction in surface tension would cause the water to cling to the surface, not roll off of it.

Water spots are a result of minerals that are in the water, and when the pure water evaporates, the minerals are left on the surface as an outline of the water droplet that was there. If the minerals are removed from the water, there is nothing to be left on the car at all. That is the point of these types of systems as well as spotless rinses at car washes and spotless systems such as the CR Spotless Dionization System.

There are many ways to accomplish a spot free rinse system... the most popular due to its ease of use is the CR Spotless Water Systems... you could think of it as a giant Mr. Clean AutoDry, but one that produces absolutely perfect deionized water with 0 TDS so there is no chance of spots as long as you properly rinse away all soap from the vehicle.
Old 11-09-17, 02:03 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

I love my CR spotless. I still end up blowing the water off my car, but I'm not in a huge rush to do so because I know it'll dry clean
Old 11-09-17, 04:06 PM
natman
Advanced

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
As I understand it, products like the Mr. Clean AutoDry System were just inline filters that would remove the majority of minerals from the source water in an effort to make sure there were no water spots left on the paint after air drying.

It has nothing to do with surface tension. A reduction in surface tension would cause the water to cling to the surface, not roll off of it.

Water spots are a result of minerals that are in the water, and when the pure water evaporates, the minerals are left on the surface as an outline of the water droplet that was there. If the minerals are removed from the water, there is nothing to be left on the car at all. That is the point of these types of systems as well as spotless rinses at car washes and spotless systems such as the CR Spotless Dionization System.

There are many ways to accomplish a spot free rinse system... the most popular due to its ease of use is the CR Spotless Water Systems... you could think of it as a giant Mr. Clean AutoDry, but one that produces absolutely perfect deionized water with 0 TDS so there is no chance of spots as long as you properly rinse away all soap from the vehicle.
The filter in the Mr Clean system was only part of the package. The other part was a special soap that acted as a surfacant. The lack of surface tension keeps the water from forming drops and instead causes the water to roll off the metal in sheets.