Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leftover Raindrops On Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 07:11 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leftover Raindrops On Car

I've noticed this for several months now but after a rain shower or storm, my car will have water still remaining on the surface for several hours after the rain has ended. I look at my other neighbor's cars in their drive way and their own is completely dry. I'm not too sure if this is wax at it's work or not. The problem I see with this is whatever dust that may be on the car at the time, when the water finally dries up, it leaves dirty water marks on the surface. I'm not talking about your typical water spots, but spots that can be easily removed with a car wash or even some detailers spray and m/f towel. I've been using NXT 2.0 wax but have PB's Natty paste wax. I've yet to fully detail the car and and as a result have not used the Natty paste wax yet. Is this the dilemma of owning a black car where you can see every dirt spot or is there something that I can do (or use) to help with this.
Old 07-25-09, 07:45 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i think thats good. better to have actual water remaining then have minerals eating away.

just wash her up after it rains so the waterspots dont form.
Old 07-25-09, 09:54 AM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Polish and wax it. Should stop it.
Old 07-28-09, 06:17 AM
Lynn Matthews
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, a good clay, polish and sealant that sheets well should help. When your surface is slick it repels everything better. Old school thinking was that we wanted water to bead up to show there is wax on the car. Now we know we don't want those water drops just sitting there. The key it to make your paint slick and smooth and use a good sealant, protectant or wax to create the sheeting action.

Lynn
Old 07-28-09, 09:48 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Although I agree that you want the water to sheet off, I dont agree that its an old way of thinking when it comes to beading. Beading still lets you know that you have a good layer of protection on there. If your car is is sitting on a relatively flat surface (or an angled surface that creates a panel to be flat), there is no way for water to just run off the vehicle. It would need some type of angle in order for gravity to take over. If you dont have that, the water will obviously sit there. When I picture what you describe on your neighbors car, I think of neglected paint that shows no signs of beading, but rather a surface that almost so dry, it wants to absorb the water b/c nothing is sitting on top of it, protecting it.

Anyway, I think you're ok and dont have anything to worry about. Unless you use a waterless wash/quick detailer after the rain, I think you may have to deal w/ the leftover water spots until your next wash. (if the water spots were etching in to the paint, I'd be more concerned about the situation). Just keep a nice layer of wax on there and you'll be just fine imo
Old 07-29-09, 09:29 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting points Chris. May I add that my neighbors cars is not treated like my own meaning they get a occasional car wash but no detailing of any sort. My nephew's car next door is kept clean all the time but no sort of paint protection and his car dries up as quick after a rain storm. I don't have no where close to a steep driveway so water will not flow well of the hood & roof of the car.
Old 07-29-09, 11:11 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Some good tips here..
Old 08-25-09, 12:53 PM
97CE LS400
Rookie

just keep waxing ...especially since you have single stage paint (Black Onyx)