Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Anybody use Meguiar's Waterless Wash and Wax? If not, what do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 12:09 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Anybody use Meguiar's Waterless Wash and Wax? If not, what do you recommend?

Not as a replacement for a full detail, but as an inbetween, to have to wash less. Water is not cheap here in Texas, though we don't have it as bad as California, the $200 water bill for just my wife and I isn't pretty. I use tons of water washing my Ram, Lexus, and my wife's Civic once a week (usually Saturday's is wash day), and we have soft water, so water spots are terrible. I usually end up not being able to dry fast enough and having to just let it air dry and use UQD to get the water spots off. The only way around this would be installing a whole-home Reverse Osmosis system, and I can't afford that at the moment, so the alternative is to find a way to go farther between washes. I am looking for something available at retail stores or on Amazon, for a reasonable price (under $20 a bottle) that will let me "wash" the vehicles without water, once a week. I Clay, polish, glaze, seal and wax once every 3-6 months as needed, so in between that, this product needs to help maintain that finish, perhaps even extend that interval. It cannot, under any circumstances, remove the sealant and wax or it is a no-go.
Old 09-18-17, 01:12 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I have not used that exact product, but I do perform waterless or rinseless washes all the time. They're my preferred method to keep my vehicle clean.

I use Optimum No Rinse for a rinseless wash solution and have been using CarPro EcH2O for a waterless wash product (though I have Optimum Opti-Clean on the way to try out).

Old 09-18-17, 01:20 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I've used it for when I'm traveling or when I'm too lazy to get out there and wash the car. It's a decent product. The dirtier the car is though, the better result you'll have with just washing the car. IIRC, I think the $10 bottle only lasted me 4-5 cars (not sure though, it's actually been a while since I've used it). Your better option is probably buying a 128oz bottle of Meguair's D115 (the detailers equivalent of the Ultimate Wash/wax anywhere), or D114 (Wash without wax anywhere). You'll have to dilute it yourself. You would need to do the math to actually see if this would save you money in the long run, IMO, the $10 bottle most likely won't especially if you're using it on multiple cars every week. There's also Optimum's Ech20.
Old 09-18-17, 01:26 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Zmon
Your better option is probably buying a 128oz bottle of Meguair's D115 (the detailers equivalent of the Ultimate Wash/wax anywhere), or D114 (Wash without wax anywhere). You'll have to dilute it yourself. You would need to do the math to actually see if this would save you money in the long run, IMO, the $10 bottle most likely won't especially if you're using it on multiple cars every week. There's also Optimum's Ech20.
Just FYI - D114 is no longer sold, it has been discontinued. I still have about 1/3 of a gallon left and am trying not to use it LOL I love that stuff, but ONR is also an excellent choice.

Also, CarPro makes EcH2O, not Optimum
Old 09-18-17, 02:08 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Zmon
I've used it for when I'm traveling or when I'm too lazy to get out there and wash the car. It's a decent product. The dirtier the car is though, the better result you'll have with just washing the car. IIRC, I think the $10 bottle only lasted me 4-5 cars (not sure though, it's actually been a while since I've used it). Your better option is probably buying a 128oz bottle of Meguair's D115 (the detailers equivalent of the Ultimate Wash/wax anywhere), or D114 (Wash without wax anywhere). You'll have to dilute it yourself. You would need to do the math to actually see if this would save you money in the long run, IMO, the $10 bottle most likely won't especially if you're using it on multiple cars every week. There's also Optimum's Ech20.
My stuff doesn't ever get terribly dirty except after road trips, or really bad storms if I have to drive in them. Otherwise I try to stay on top of it. My wife's car can sometimes get away from me but I try to stay on it.

I will look for the D115 and see if it's a money saver since I use so much of it.

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I have not used that exact product, but I do perform waterless or rinseless washes all the time. They're my preferred method to keep my vehicle clean.

I use Optimum No Rinse for a rinseless wash solution and have been using CarPro EcH2O for a waterless wash product (though I have Optimum Opti-Clean on the way to try out).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2pDD1vaLiw&t=26s
I have heard great things about ONR... Maybe I will try that.

Has anybody tried this? It's on the expensive side, but the reviews are pretty awesome on social media...

http://www.getF11.com
Old 09-18-17, 02:12 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne

I will look for the D115 and see if it's a money saver since I use so much of it.
Meguiar's Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax D115

I have heard great things about ONR... Maybe I will try that.
I highly recommend it. I have used ONR for many year and it is a very nice product, and a fantastic value.

Has anybody tried this?

http://www.getF11.com
I have not tried it, but IMO it is just a "me to" product that is using social media marketing to try to grab the spotlight. In the professional detailing community, it is not even on the radar. Polymer rich waterless wash products have been on the market for years, it is nothing new. Stick to a known brand that has proven their merit in the industry, not someone who is just trying to get your attention.
The following users liked this post:
ArmyofOne (09-18-17)
Old 09-18-17, 02:25 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

awesome. I will give it 115 and ONR shot and let ya know!
Old 09-18-17, 03:07 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I have been using Carpro Ech20 this past summer. Like OP water is not cheap anymore and washing it all the time was getting a little time consuming. I followed zmcgovern4 ideas on how to properly use this method. If the vehicle was particularly dirty, I would still wash it, but those weeks that went by with little to no rain, it was great.

I have not "washed" it in over 6 weeks...it's been dry and or didn't get dirty. I also like the fact that after you finish, usually 20 minutes+- when you go for a drive you don't get the drips coming out of the cracks and crevices. Use some decent microfibers and you'll be fine. No scratches, no marks, just a great easy shine.

I'm sure they are pretty similar, but this one works for me. I use it diluted as per the bottle and application.
Old 09-19-17, 10:40 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2pDD1vaLiw&t=26s
What is the difference between ONR Wash & Shine and Optimum Opti-Clean? Is it that the latter really requires absolutely NO water whereas ONR requires a bucket or two?

Between ONR and Ech20, what would you recommend for vehicles with ceramic coating (Opti-Coat Pro) for maximum gloss?

am leaning towards just sticking with ONR so that I do all that I can to minimize the chance of Optimum not honoring the warranty on Opti-Coat should I ever end up needing to make a claim on it.
Old 09-19-17, 01:25 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by np20412
What is the difference between ONR Wash & Shine and Optimum Opti-Clean? Is it that the latter really requires absolutely NO water whereas ONR requires a bucket or two?
Opti-Clean is a waterless wash... I give a very brief demonstration of waterless washing in the CarPro EcH2O video shown above.

In a nutshell, waterless washing is simply spraying a liberal amount of solution onto the paint, and then wiping with a damp towel followed by a dry towel. There are no buckets of solution involved... just a spray bottle of waterless washing solution and as many towels as you need to complete the job.

Optimum No Rinse is a rinseless wash, as the name implies. Rinseless washing requires a gallon or two of water with the appropriate amount of solution in it. Towels, a wash mitt, or a sponge may be used as the wash media and are soaked in the solution in the washing bucket. The vehicle is then washed and dried one panel at a time.

They are similar, but still different products and processes. I personally reserve waterless washing for my vehicle when it is only lightly dirty as I find rinseless washing to produce more lubrication (because the wash media is completely soaked/saturated) and therefore a better option (in my opinion) when more dirt and contamination is on the paint.

Between ONR and Ech20, what would you recommend for vehicles with ceramic coating (Opti-Coat Pro) for maximum gloss?
For synergy, you may wish to stick with Optimum Products - Either ONR for Rinseless Washing or Opti-Clean for Waterless Washing.
If you don't care about remaining brand consistent, then EcH2O is a very nice product in my opinion. I have not tested Opti-Clean yet, but I do intend to compare it to EcH2O.

am leaning towards just sticking with ONR so that I do all that I can to minimize the chance of Optimum not honoring the warranty on Opti-Coat should I ever end up needing to make a claim on it.
There is no reason Optimum would not honor your warranty if you properly maintain the vehicle. Using Optimum Products is not the only way to properly maintain your vehicle as there are TONS of outstanding products out there... and even if you are using all optimum products, but improper technique, you can still damage the paintwork or other exterior surfaces. Regardless, if you are currently using ONR and you like it, stick with it! It is a great product and one that I use quite often.
Old 09-19-17, 02:47 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Regardless, if you are currently using ONR and you like it, stick with it! It is a great product and one that I use quite often.
Thanks. I have almost a full bottle of ONR still so I will stick with it til it's out, then maybe try something else.

Do you like ONR diluted properly as a Quick Detailer or prefer a dedicated QD spray (again in context of gloss/shine on a ceramic coating)?
Old 09-19-17, 04:52 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I prefer a dedicated quick detail spray. My personal favorite is Meguiar's D156... I use it as a drying aid after almost every wash. Occasionally I will switch to a coating topper instead (i.e. Gyeon Cure, GTechniq C2, CarPro Reload, etc)
Old 09-19-17, 06:02 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

I've used Griot's Speed Shine with good success. It's readily available online or at auto parts stores.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody use Meguiar's Waterless Wash and Wax?  If not, what do you recommend?-screen-shot-2017-09-19-at-5.55.26-pm.png  
Old 09-19-17, 06:15 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Are waterless washes ok with ceramic coatings?
Old 09-19-17, 07:12 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Doug007
I've used Griot's Speed Shine with good success. It's readily available online or at auto parts stores.
Quick Shine falls into the "quick detailer" category and therefore isn't quite comparable to a waterless or rinseless wash. Quick Detailers are best suited for cars that only have a light dust on them, or for clean cars that just need a bit of gloss enhancement after washing. Waterless and Rinseless Washes contain more cleaning agents and polymers to make them safe to use on dirtier surfaces, while also enhancing the gloss.

Originally Posted by Break2
Are waterless washes ok with ceramic coatings?
Absolutely! When used properly, waterless and rinseless washes are safe on any vehicle regardless of what type of LSP has been used.

If you refer to my review above about CarPro EcH2O, you'll notice CarPro incorporated the use of silica into this product to go along with their silica based coatings and sealants.

Quick Reply: Anybody use Meguiar's Waterless Wash and Wax? If not, what do you recommend?