Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ceramic coating did not cure correctly

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-17, 07:38 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Ceramic coating did not cure correctly

what did I do wrong and how should I go about fixing it?
Attached Thumbnails Ceramic coating did not cure correctly-60470d03-a46c-4da9-b8c0-0fc3fcd6a147.jpeg  
Old 12-09-17, 10:34 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

What have you tried to remove those streaks?

Those are called high spots, aka spots of the coating that were not completely leveled/removed and now appear as dark spots and streaks.

Depending on the coating you used, you only have a specific amount of time to level the coating before it cures to the point where just using a towel won't do the trick. Wait too long and you will need to repolish the affected sections or with some coatings (Crystal Cerum ie.) you may need light sanding>polishing. Some coatings have a long working time like the current version of CQ, and some have an extremely short working time like OC. I usually try not to mess around and remove the coating per manufacturer's directions to not run into the coating getting too tacky and difficult to remove.

Try removing it with a MF towel and IPA, but if that does nothing than a light polishing should easily remove all of those high spots. Live and learn.
Old 12-09-17, 10:42 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
What have you tried to remove those streaks?

Those are called high spots, aka spots of the coating that were not completely leveled/removed and now appear as dark spots and streaks.

Depending on the coating you used, you only have a specific amount of time to level the coating before it cures to the point where just using a towel won't do the trick. Wait too long and you will need to repolish the affected sections or with some coatings (Crystal Cerum ie.) you may need light sanding>polishing. Some coatings have a long working time like the current version of CQ, and some have an extremely short working time like OC. I usually try not to mess around and remove the coating per manufacturer's directions to not run into the coating getting too tacky and difficult to remove.

Try removing it with a MF towel and IPA, but if that does nothing than a light polishing should easily remove all of those high spots. Live and learn.
i tried a MF towel and an oil/polish cleaner and that’s it to remove it and no go. It’s been less than 24 hours. I used 22ple VX3. Do I need to polish again and then re-apply the ceramic coating?

Last edited by Diesel350; 12-09-17 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-09-17, 10:49 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

That's why I stopped using VX3. It used to be one of my go-to coatings for cheaper jobs, but they changed it I wanna say about a year ago and it was just too much of a headache with leaving high-spots. I switched to 22PLE HPC and VX Pro for our "non-professional" coating option and never looked back. HPC especially is pretty much idiot proof to install and remove and never had issues like this. Plus it lasts longer.

Just take a finishing polish of your choice (85rd, Essence, etc..) .M205 is to aggressive on obsidian so would not go that high in cut. Get a white pad and go over the entire car again to remove the coating and re-apply. This time remove it quicker, go a panel at a time if you are not experienced just to be safe. You won't remove those VX3 streaks with anything but abrasive polishing. Been there, done that.
Old 12-09-17, 10:53 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

That's why I stopped using VX3. It used to be one of my go-to coatings for cheaper jobs, but they changed it I wanna say about a year ago and it was just too much of a headache with leaving high-spots. I switched to 22PLE HPC and VX Pro for our "non-professional" coating option and never looked back. HPC especially is pretty much idiot proof to install and remove and never had issues like this. Plus it lasts longer.

Just take a finishing polish of your choice (85rd, Essence, etc..) .M205 is to aggressive on obsidian so would not go that high in cut. Get a white pad and go over the entire car again to remove the coating and re-apply. This time remove it quicker, go a panel at a time if you are not experienced just to be safe. You won't remove those VX3 streaks with anything but abrasive polishing. Been there, done that.
. Oh ok thanks. Luckily I only did the hood. I was waiting 3 minutes before wiping off the polish like the instructions said but even then it seems that was too long.
Old 12-09-17, 10:55 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Diesel350
. Oh ok thanks. Luckily I only did the hood. I was waiting 3 minutes before wiping off the polish like the instructions said but even then it seems that was too long.
If you're in FL, the humidity might affect the curing time. More hot and humid = shorter curing time.
Old 12-09-17, 11:01 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

If you're in FL, the humidity might affect the curing time. More hot and humid = shorter curing time.
yeah I think that is my issue. Waited to long and then it was to late to level it off.
Old 12-10-17, 08:48 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I haven’t used VX3 in a while, sad to hear they changed up the formula. When it first came out it was a breeze to use. HPC, as mentioned, is exceptionally user friendly.

Regardless of which coating you are using, it is always a good idea to do a test spot to determine how the coating is reacting in your environment. Temperature and humidity will effect how the coating flashes and how it cures. I typically just start on the trunk lid as it is often the smallest panel and apply product to 1/2 the trunk, then monitor it every 1-2 minutes to check how it wipes off. From there, I find the optimal removal window... you need to find that time where it wipes cleanly without smearing and without becoming tacky.

As mentioned, you just need to level those high spots with your preferred finishing polish, then reapply the coating to those areas.
Old 12-19-17, 09:14 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
what did I do wrong and how should I go about fixing it?
Time to bust out the machine or you may be able to get away with using your fingers with the finishing polish as I did and reapply.

Edit**

Eraser or alcohol wipe before coating

Last edited by k20trick; 12-19-17 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 10:14 AM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems like lots of experience in this thread and thought I might post my question here. Started pc on a 09 obsidian isf that was in dire need. From reading above M205 is too aggressive but so far results have been barely acceptable, paint was in pretty rough shape. Anyway out of touch and just heard of ceramic and thats what I want to do, however Ive already topped-off with Maguires ultimate wax on the sections completed. So far just the hood front fenders and roof is done, cut polish AND wax... Whats the best way to go back to just the polished state? Will liberal IPA remove the wax??? Or is there a better more effective way to dewax these panels?

Think Ill try the HPC, who sells it for a good price?

Last edited by 400to300H; 01-02-18 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-03-18, 07:07 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 400to300H
Seems like lots of experience in this thread and thought I might post my question here. Started pc on a 09 obsidian isf that was in dire need. From reading above M205 is too aggressive but so far results have been barely acceptable, paint was in pretty rough shape. Anyway out of touch and just heard of ceramic and thats what I want to do, however Ive already topped-off with Maguires ultimate wax on the sections completed. So far just the hood front fenders and roof is done, cut polish AND wax... Whats the best way to go back to just the polished state? Will liberal IPA remove the wax??? Or is there a better more effective way to dewax these panels?

M205 is too aggressive as a finishing polish on obsidian.

The best way to get back to a polished state would be to polish the panel again. You'll most likely induce swirls if you try a liberal IPA wipe down on obsidian.

Most vendors have the same price, if you want a better deal, then you have to wait for a sale.
Old 01-04-18, 07:17 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Forum sponsor Detailed Image is the US Importer and Distrubutor for 22ple Products. You can find HPC on their site by following the link below...http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...1114/30-ml-S1/
Old 01-04-18, 02:30 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Forum sponsor Detailed Image is the US Importer and Distrubutor for 22ple Products. You can find HPC on their site by following the link below...http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...1114/30-ml-S1/
Thanks. At $169 theyre a bit too proud of their product for my taste. Know someone said cquartz uk is harder to remove but think Ill try them anyway. ISF will only be the first of three cars Im doing in the near future and a 50ml kit of cquartz at $79 shipped makes a little more sense...
Old 01-04-18, 09:25 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Thanks. At $169 theyre a bit too proud of their product for my taste. Know someone said cquartz uk is harder to remove but think Ill try them anyway. ISF will only be the first of three cars Im doing in the near future and a 50ml kit of cquartz at $79 shipped makes a little more sense...
Sounds like you have the perfect situation to try three different coatings and compare them.