Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CQuartz planning

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-17, 04:07 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default CQuartz planning

Hey all, I'm planning to prep, polish and apply CQuartz to my 2 mid-sized sedans (Lexus ISF and Volvo S60) in a couple weeks and am looking for advice on which products and how much product to buy. I have the supplies to clay bar and polish my paint, but nothing beyond that. I've decided on CQuartz UK based on reviews here and it's supposed ease of installation (this will be my first coating experience). Questions:
1) Is a 30ml bottle of CQUK enough to coat the 2 cars I listed above? Or should I step up to the 50ml bottle?
2) I assume one bottle of CP Eraser is enough for 2 cars...
3) How much Reload will I use during the initial application on two cars? I've seen bundled kits that include a small bottle of Reload, but it sounds like I can use this periodically over time, so I assume a larger bottle would not go to waste.

Am I on the right track here?
Old 12-19-17, 06:21 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

30 mL would be enough for an experienced installer, but many first timers tend to over apply... so this is up to you. You should be fine with 30 mL, but it might be very close.

I saturate the panels with Eraser, so I use a bunch. 500 mL would probably be fine, but for $6 more I would just get the 1L bottle.

You will use very little reload. Even a small bottle will do several applications. A 500 mL bottle of Reload will last a long time.

FWIW, I find CQUK to be one of the more finicky coatings to apply. Since you are in AZ, you are likely not dealing with constant temps <60F. CQUK is best in temps below 60F. If you are interested in CarPro products in particular, I would personally point you towards the standard CQuartz. You might also consider trying their new top coat called CarPro Gliss.
Old 12-19-17, 09:06 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

The small bottle of reload might be enough for one car, but for future maintenance it may be a good idea to purchase the bigger 1 litter bottle, trust me you will use this again in the future so shell out the extra cash up front and save in the long run.

I would also go with the biggest bottle they have on the coating that way you can do one car first then any leftovers can be used towards your next car, although after you first open the seal on the bottle it may induce expire sooner, but it will still give you plenty of time to use the remaining amount on your 2nd car.

Also, you can get creative with the coating and apply it anywhere safe such as the headlights it would help protect them from fading in the future, I would also coat the wheels, tail lights, chrome trim, grille, calipers (if their painted), door jams (although they dont see much wear, I tend to use a spray sealer like reload on the door jams, interior pieces, etc...

Give yourself a lot of time and test a spot first, I usually use the fender first and see how the coating reacts then proceed.

There may be different ways different people tend to accomplish these tasks, but in end you will have a nice car. Once you see the end results you will forget about all the labor intensive hard work as you will be admiring the results.

Good luck to you and have fun!

Last edited by k20trick; 12-19-17 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-20-17, 11:11 AM
Tom2769
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I ordered the larger portions of each product and went with the regular CQuartz since we will have several hours of 60+ weather each day the next few weeks.
The following users liked this post:
k20trick (12-20-17)
Old 12-24-17, 08:07 PM
WNC
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree 100% with the Cquartz application. Very easy to apply.
Old 01-06-18, 07:47 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom2769
Hey all, I'm planning to prep, polish and apply CQuartz to my 2 mid-sized sedans (Lexus ISF and Volvo S60) in a couple weeks and am looking for advice on which products and how much product to buy. I have the supplies to clay bar and polish my paint, but nothing beyond that. I've decided on CQuartz UK based on reviews here and it's supposed ease of installation (this will be my first coating experience). Questions:
1) Is a 30ml bottle of CQUK enough to coat the 2 cars I listed above? Or should I step up to the 50ml bottle?
2) I assume one bottle of CP Eraser is enough for 2 cars...
3) How much Reload will I use during the initial application on two cars? I've seen bundled kits that include a small bottle of Reload, but it sounds like I can use this periodically over time, so I assume a larger bottle would not go to waste.

Am I on the right track here?
I have used CQ UK edition on my obsidian black LS and didn't like it. For some reason CQ UK became a magnet on obsidian black and started attracting dust and particles. The worse is when I run finger on the paint, feels the roughness and bumpiness. Only way to make it smooth again is to apply some quick detailer spray and clean it. Just a word of caution if you are planning to apply on obsidian color.

But CQ UK did not exhibit the same behavior on my while color Lexus.
Old 01-06-18, 10:51 AM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Search for "Pan The Organizer" on Youtube...... he has a lot of video's about the process, the equipment and the products. He is clear and concise.
I think his video's are a "must watch" if you want to use ceramic coatings. Someone else on this forum mentioned him too, so I'm not the first (and don't want to take credit).