Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratch remover?

Old 07-31-17, 06:22 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Scratch remover?

What does everyone recommend for a good clean cutting compound/polish to remove slightly deeper then swirl mark scratches? I've tried Chemical brothers V36 and some Meguiars stuff, including "ultra compound". Im using a Porter Gable polisher with orange HEX pads. I was thinking of trying CB's V32 but it seems many people don't really like their stuff.
Old 07-31-17, 07:56 PM
Jgribbins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meguiars M105 with yellow pad followed by M205 with white pad works great for me.
Old 07-31-17, 09:08 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Used fast correcting cream paired with light cutting orange pad worked great for me.

Meguiars m105 with yellow pad is a pretty aggressive combo.
The following users liked this post:
smt6 (08-19-17)
Old 08-01-17, 06:29 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Our favorite compound has been Griot's Garage Fast Correcting Cream, and we have loved Meguiar's M205 for a finishing polish for a very long time.

Product Review: Griot’s Garage Fast Correcting Cream by Zach McGovern
Product Review: Griot’s Garage Boss Fast Correcting Cream by Joe Metlow
Old 08-02-17, 10:11 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Break2
What does everyone recommend for a good clean cutting compound/polish to remove slightly deeper then swirl mark scratches? I've tried Chemical brothers V36 and some Meguiars stuff, including "ultra compound". Im using a Porter Gable polisher with orange HEX pads. I was thinking of trying CB's V32 but it seems many people don't really like their stuff.
Chemical guys is the car detailing company and chemical brothers is a electronica group from the UK.

Do you have a yellow cutting pad? They're more aggressive than the orange ones, so it might get you the cut you need. Choosing the right pad can make a big difference in the correction step.

I recently tried a Carpro Flash pad for correcting, and I'll be getting more in the future.
Old 08-02-17, 06:25 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Chemical guys is the car detailing company and chemical brothers is a electronica group from the UK.
Yeah, LOL. I have no idea why I said chemical brothers..I dont even like them!
Old 08-02-17, 06:26 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe

Do you have a yellow cutting pad? They're more aggressive than the orange ones, so it might get you the cut you need. Choosing the right pad can make a big difference in the correction step.

I recently tried a Carpro Flash pad for correcting, and I'll be getting more in the future.
You think the yellow is too aggressive?
Old 08-02-17, 07:26 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

You think the yellow is too aggressive?
Its hard to say what is too aggressive without seeing the damage first hand. I only asked if you owned a yellow pad, so you could try yellow pad + your current polish to correct your problem.

Pads have their own characteristics and chemicals have their own characteristics. You have to play with the different combination to find the sweet spot for your correcting and/or finishing needs.
Old 08-02-17, 09:05 PM
Jgribbins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree. Yellow worked perfect for me. Scratches too deep for orange to take out.
Old 08-03-17, 11:21 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jgribbins
Agree. Yellow worked perfect for me. Scratches too deep for orange to take out.
What constitutes a deep scratch anyway?
Old 08-03-17, 01:01 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

What constitutes a deep scratch anyway?
Anything that won't come out with an orange (light cutting pad) is basically a deep scratch. If it doesn't come out with a yellow pad, then your options require a lot more bravery/skill to fix them.
Old 08-06-17, 06:12 PM
Break2
Pole Position

No idea what I'm going wrong, but I used Griots Fast Correcting cream and a yellow pad and it still hasn't removed them and they are def in the clear coat. I'm at a loss.
Old 08-06-17, 09:42 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

No idea what I'm going wrong, but I used Griots Fast Correcting cream and a yellow pad and it still hasn't removed them and they are def in the clear coat. I'm at a loss.

If its not coming out with that setup, you could always try wet sanding, but honestly not everything will come out and sometimes its better to only enhance the appearance of the scratch rather than going for perfection.

You could always try the fingernail test, if it grabs then its probably too deep to remove 100%, do you have any pics of the damage?

Last edited by k20trick; 08-06-17 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-07-17, 11:03 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

There is no rule that says "if it won't come out with a compound and cutting pad then it is through the clear coat"

Using a DA machine, cutting compound, and cutting pad is still a relatively non invasive procedure.

There are MANY superficial defects that will not be removed with this process. Consider an even more aggressive pad like a microfiber or wool pad. Consider making more passes, using more pressure, and using a higher machine speed. If needed, you can even compound an area a couple of times without harm.

If, after all that compounding, the defects remain, then you may consider wet sanding.

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself one very important question.... is removing these defects worth the risk of compromising your clear coat?

Wet sanding can be a risky task, especially when done by an amateur.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 08-24-17 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-07-17, 11:05 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Also - post some pictures. That is the #1 most helpful thing that can help us help you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scratch remover?