Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratch remover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-17, 10:25 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Also - post some pictures. That is the #1 most helpful thing that can help us help you.
Im going to detail her again today. I'll try to get some pics. Anyone with the Griots Fast cream, are you supposed to keep polishing until the cream is gone? How much pressure (on average) should you apply?
Old 08-19-17, 06:33 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Could it be the buffer I am using? I have a Porter-Cable 7424XP 6". Is there a better choice?
Old 08-20-17, 12:38 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

You really need to post pictures if you want us to help you you solve this. There are way too many variables to guess.
Old 08-20-17, 06:33 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
You really need to post pictures if you want us to help you you solve this. There are way too many variables to guess.
They are not coming out in pictures. I can see them under street lights, in direct sun, they don't appear to much. There's even some swirls still. I went over the same spot like 10 times with a little pressure, a lot pressure, no pressure and they are still there. I do not understand why they are not coming out.
Old 08-20-17, 11:18 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Break2
They are not coming out in pictures. I can see them under street lights, in direct sun, they don't appear to much. There's even some swirls still. I went over the same spot like 10 times with a little pressure, a lot pressure, no pressure and they are still there. I do not understand why they are not coming out.
You need to shine the light at an angle and capture the scratches in the reflection of light or turn the flash on your camera and focus on a point away from the scratch, so the scratch shows up in the reflection from the flash. If you focus directly on the scratch the camera won't capture it.

Something to note is that all scratches can't be fixed by normal methods. I couldn't get all the above scratches out.
Old 08-21-17, 07:11 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Those look deeper than typical improper washing scratches/marring.
Old 08-21-17, 08:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Is it a random isolated deep scratch? There are time when they won't go away because they're deeper than what the pad/polish can handle. Not all scratches are repairable without going beyond polishing either so don't be too obsess with removing them.

With that being said, how much force are you putting down on the machine? When I used to use a PC, I would set it to speed 5 or 6 and put firm pressure down, but not to the point where the pad stops rotating. It's not uncommon to apply 10lb+ of force plus the weight of the machine.
Old 08-22-17, 09:33 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
Is it a random isolated deep scratch? There are time when they won't go away because they're deeper than what the pad/polish can handle. Not all scratches are repairable without going beyond polishing either so don't be too obsess with removing them.

With that being said, how much force are you putting down on the machine? When I used to use a PC, I would set it to speed 5 or 6 and put firm pressure down, but not to the point where the pad stops rotating. It's not uncommon to apply 10lb+ of force plus the weight of the machine.
Unless Im completing not seeing it, I don't see a speed switch? It just seems like its one speed.
Old 08-22-17, 09:34 AM
Break2
Pole Position

You need to shine the light at an angle and capture the scratches in the reflection of light or turn the flash on your camera and focus on a point away from the scratch, so the scratch shows up in the reflection from the flash. If you focus directly on the scratch the camera won't capture it.

Something to note is that all scratches can't be fixed by normal methods. I couldn't get all the above scratches out.
These look very similar to what I m dealing with. Not sure with yours, but with mine, I cant feel them, if I run my finger over them. Its all smooth.
Old 08-22-17, 10:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Unless Im completing not seeing it, I don't see a speed switch? It just seems like its one speed.

There is a dial from 1 through 6, where the cord meets the body of the machine. What speed do you have on there right now?
Old 08-22-17, 10:44 AM
Break2
Pole Position

There is a dial from 1 through 6, where the cord meets the body of the machine. What speed do you have on there right now?
I dont think so...but Im going out to check in a few.
Old 08-22-17, 11:09 AM
Break2
Pole Position

SOB...there is and now I feel like a complete idiot. Its currently on 1. What should I be to correct paint?
Old 08-22-17, 11:48 AM
GSteg
Rookie

SOB...there is and now I feel like a complete idiot. Its currently on 1. What should I be to correct paint?
Old videos, but they're still very relevant. There are 3 parts to this:

Old 08-22-17, 04:45 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

These look very similar to what I m dealing with. Not sure with yours, but with mine, I cant feel them, if I run my finger over them. Its all smooth.
Those scratches couldn't be felt either, but they weren't coming out. It looked like someone dragged a crate across the roof.

At least you found out before we suggested something more aggressive and you attempted to polish it again at speed 1. You would have been really pissed at that point. lol

I guess we should have known something was up if you weren't complaining about the vibrations. I think I'm usually around speed 5 or 6 for paint correction. Watch the videos Henry posted, and start with your least aggressive combination and then move up if necessary.
Old 08-22-17, 06:52 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Those scratches couldn't be felt either, but they weren't coming out. It looked like someone dragged a crate across the roof.

At least you found out before we suggested something more aggressive and you attempted to polish it again at speed 1. You would have been really pissed at that point. lol

I guess we should have known something was up if you weren't complaining about the vibrations. I think I'm usually around speed 5 or 6 for paint correction. Watch the videos Henry posted, and start with your least aggressive combination and then move up if necessary.
So I tried it again. I washed her and went off the video. It was def. better, but those scratches, like the ones in your pics (identical actually) will not come out. They look like they are under the clear coat, if that makes any sense,

Quick Reply: Scratch remover?