Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

bad water and soap spots

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-11, 06:48 PM
RockRash
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad water and soap spots

we've had some crazy weather in nc. lots of pollen and a tornado (didn't touch my car or house thank god) but anyways i've been washing with purple power and a micro fiber mit. wax on wax off and side to side up down motions. i start at the top rise then work around the car ( with the front down hill ) every time i turn around there are water stains even after i use micro towels to dry the car. it's black and everything is showing up

it went from looking like this to small water marks every where.

image it seeing water and soap spots every where. tired waxing by hand didn't work either im buying a buffer at the end of the month. but between now and then what can i do to get rid of the spots.
Old 05-14-11, 06:57 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

You are using purple power to wash your car? That's a BIG no-no. Purple power is a strong degreaser. Even using Dawn dish soap or other degreasing soaps will leave water spots especially when washed in the sun. Use a car shampoo. Not only will using a dedicated car shampoo not leave watermarks when dried in time and properly, it will not remove that wax you put on there. Using a strong degreaser like Purple Power will completely strip any LSPs you have on there. Especially if it's not diluted. Not diluting it will stain all your chrome trim and is very very bad for the paint.
Old 05-14-11, 07:35 PM
RockRash
Pole Position

thanx for the fix. any special wash i should use it's driving me nuts not seeing shiny black she can't turn into ugly betty
Old 05-14-11, 08:01 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Just get some Meguire's Gold Class. You can get it at Walmart, Pepboys, Target.... not expensive and you only need about an ounce or so into a 3.5 gallon bucket. Any regular car soap is better than using Purple Power....I've only heard of people using Purple Power to degrease tires and wheel wells and when highly diluted the very lower portion of the car to loosen some dirt. Definitely don't use it as a car wash though.
Old 05-15-11, 12:43 AM
RockRash
Pole Position

since we are on this subject . what's the best way to polish my stock 16's i've got a small da sander/ polisher i picked up at hf . and about 4 free cans of meguiar's mag and alum polish. since im gonna run them might as well make them shine to. i'll get some pics of their current state when it get day light.
Old 05-15-11, 12:48 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easiest way to fully do wheels is with them off the car. You can put on a 3 inch backing plate and use 4 inch pads to polish everything including the inside of the barrels

if you want your car to look its best, read up on the 2 bucket wash method and use quality products. There are alot of low cost options available over the counter and at auto stores like pepboys or autozone, even walmart and target (sometimes on clearance)that work very well (and that does not include armor all)

wash: Megs gold class or Duragloss 901
clay: Mother's clay kit
polish: Meg's ultimate compound, Ultimate polish
cleaners (if not polishing): Klasse AIO, Duragloss 501
sealant: Duragloss 601 & 105
wax: Collinite 845

Also invest in some good microfibres (costco is ok) and some rinseless wash concentrate like Optimum No rinse or Detailer's Pride Wash and Gloss. They are very versatile and are like 4 different products depending on how you dilute them.

Last edited by embolism; 05-15-11 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-15-11, 07:26 PM
RockRash
Pole Position

Originally Posted by embolism
easiest way to fully do wheels is with them off the car. You can put on a 3 inch backing plate and use 4 inch pads to polish everything including the inside of the barrels

if you want your car to look its best, read up on the 2 bucket wash method and use quality products. There are alot of low cost options available over the counter and at auto stores like pepboys or autozone, even walmart and target (sometimes on clearance)that work very well (and that does not include armor all)

wash: Megs gold class or Duragloss 901
clay: Mother's clay kit
polish: Meg's ultimate compound, Ultimate polish
cleaners (if not polishing): Klasse AIO, Duragloss 501
sealant: Duragloss 601 & 105
wax: Collinite 845

Also invest in some good microfibres (costco is ok) and some rinseless wash concentrate like Optimum No rinse or Detailer's Pride Wash and Gloss. They are very versatile and are like 4 different products depending on how you dilute them.
thanx it's hard to keep my sc clean, i ditched the pp and washed it with some shampoo i picked up at sams club. took off all or most of the spots let it try and then took the rest of the turttle wax black detailer i had left and rubbed into the paint. looks better now than it did

and the end of the month im gonna buy a buffer and get it cleaned up. gotta get the wheels to their looking bad
Old 05-15-11, 10:41 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

get some polishes and those with buff out easily.