Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Water Beads Up - Is that Good or Time for a Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-12, 07:48 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Beads Up - Is that Good or Time for a Wax?

I have a 2010 RX350 which I hand wash almost once a week, dry with a waffle towel and follow up with a quick detailer. I've only waxed it once since I got the car.

I've noticed whenever it rains, my car holds onto beads of water for a long time. While I'm driving around I notice most other cars are completely dry, while my hood still has the beads of water that don't slide off. Is this a good sign that my car has a good coat of wax or is it time to re-apply a wax to make the water slide off?
Old 07-24-12, 07:50 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I wax my car all the time and when it rains, IT beads, so I'm pretty sure that's the wax doing it's job.
Old 07-24-12, 08:37 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beading means good, but it seems to contradict your situation. When water is beading on my cars, the rain slides off much more easily/faster than the other cars next to me. I think water is "pooling" on your car which means yes time for a wax.
Old 07-24-12, 10:42 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

OH, guess I should wax my car then!
Old 07-24-12, 12:47 PM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beads should resemble little drops of water, not giant lakes on the car lol. Beads are good!
Old 07-27-12, 03:27 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

See my pictures of what the car should look like when there is wax on the paint.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...e-wax-1-a.html
Old 07-28-12, 12:30 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ChitChat
I have a 2010 RX350 which I hand wash almost once a week, dry with a waffle towel and follow up with a quick detailer.
This is a good start...

I've only waxed it once since I got the car.
...then we hit a brick wall. Once? Really? Please tell me you've not had it long.

I've noticed whenever it rains, my car holds onto beads of water for a long time. While I'm driving around I notice most other cars are completely dry, while my hood still has the beads of water that don't slide off. Is this a good sign that my car has a good coat of wax or is it time to re-apply a wax to make the water slide off?
It means you have contaminants on your hood that are adhering to the water so that it has something to hang on to. Smooth paint with wax or sealant on it won't do this, so yes, it is certainly time to wax, but before you wax, I would strongly suggest claying the car. This will remove the surface contaminants prior to waxing, thus giving your paint the smoothest surface for the wax to work on.

I would also recommend using the detailing spray over the top of the fresh wax so future sprays of the detailer will be on top of it as well. Simply another layer of protection.

On a side note - you are using car wash soap to wash, right? Dish detergent is a no no unless you are planning on starting fresh and want to strip all protection. I don't think it's the case, but never hurts to ask.

Big Mack
Old 07-28-12, 01:36 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just waxed my car yesterday night, I claybar and then applied wax. Waxing by hand can take a long time but its worth it, but I had a PC so it was easy for me.

Process should be like,
Wash, clay, wash, then wax. Then your car will feel like how it came off the show room floor.