ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   Leftover Raindrops On Car (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/442641-leftover-raindrops-on-car.html)

MrG4Life 07-25-09 07:11 AM

Leftover Raindrops On Car

I've noticed this for several months now but after a rain shower or storm, my car will have water still remaining on the surface for several hours after the rain has ended. I look at my other neighbor's cars in their drive way and their own is completely dry. I'm not too sure if this is wax at it's work or not. The problem I see with this is whatever dust that may be on the car at the time, when the water finally dries up, it leaves dirty water marks on the surface. I'm not talking about your typical water spots, but spots that can be easily removed with a car wash or even some detailers spray and m/f towel. I've been using NXT 2.0 wax but have PB's Natty paste wax. I've yet to fully detail the car and and as a result have not used the Natty paste wax yet. Is this the dilemma of owning a black car where you can see every dirt spot or is there something that I can do (or use) to help with this.

vwynn 07-25-09 07:45 AM

i think thats good. better to have actual water remaining then have minerals eating away.

just wash her up after it rains so the waterspots dont form.

vuiskool 07-25-09 09:54 AM

Polish and wax it. Should stop it.

Lynn Matthews 07-28-09 06:17 AM

I agree, a good clay, polish and sealant that sheets well should help. When your surface is slick it repels everything better. Old school thinking was that we wanted water to bead up to show there is wax on the car. Now we know we don't want those water drops just sitting there. The key it to make your paint slick and smooth and use a good sealant, protectant or wax to create the sheeting action.

Lynn

Chris@GlimmerGlass 07-28-09 09:48 AM

Although I agree that you want the water to sheet off, I dont agree that its an old way of thinking when it comes to beading. Beading still lets you know that you have a good layer of protection on there. If your car is is sitting on a relatively flat surface (or an angled surface that creates a panel to be flat), there is no way for water to just run off the vehicle. It would need some type of angle in order for gravity to take over. If you dont have that, the water will obviously sit there. When I picture what you describe on your neighbors car, I think of neglected paint that shows no signs of beading, but rather a surface that almost so dry, it wants to absorb the water b/c nothing is sitting on top of it, protecting it.

Anyway, I think you're ok and dont have anything to worry about. Unless you use a waterless wash/quick detailer after the rain, I think you may have to deal w/ the leftover water spots until your next wash. (if the water spots were etching in to the paint, I'd be more concerned about the situation). Just keep a nice layer of wax on there and you'll be just fine imo :)

MrG4Life 07-29-09 09:29 AM

Interesting points Chris. May I add that my neighbors cars is not treated like my own meaning they get a occasional car wash but no detailing of any sort. My nephew's car next door is kept clean all the time but no sort of paint protection and his car dries up as quick after a rain storm. I don't have no where close to a steep driveway so water will not flow well of the hood & roof of the car.

GS4_Fiend 07-29-09 11:11 AM

Some good tips here..

97CE LS400 08-25-09 12:53 PM

just keep waxing ...especially since you have single stage paint (Black Onyx)