Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Used LS430, needs paint cleaned

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 05:25 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Question Used LS430, needs paint cleaned

I just bought a 2001 LS430 Ultra. The car has a great "looking" paint job, but when I slide my hand over the surface of the paint, I can feel grit. I used Zymol cleaner wax and it appreared to do no good. I even used an orbital buffer to apply. I also tried to do it by hand. Neither worked.

My car is pearl white and very expensive, as most CL members know. What is a safe way to remove this gritty feel without using a rubbing compound or removing the beautiful appearance?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 11-08-04, 05:30 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you need to clay your car. I've never used clay myself, but just about everyone swears by it. Search this forum or visit Autopia.com, and you'll find a lot of info on claying. Good luck and post some pictures when you're done. You're driving my favorite car in my favorite color.
Old 11-08-04, 05:42 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

JellyBean has it right, you need to clay.

What you're feeling is called "bonded contaminants", meaning ; stuff that's stuck on the paint that washing (and even polishing) can't fully remove.

If you need some help with the process, let us know.

Old 11-08-04, 05:45 PM
Diesel11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new car. I too have a 2001 LS and plan on keeping it for 200,000 miles plus!
With respect to the rougher feeling on the car surface, here are a couple of thoughts:

1. A random orbital buffer with wax will not do a thing. You need to use a machine polish. I like 3M products, but there are many good brands. Polishes remove oxidation and help smooth out the paint.

2. You need to clay-bar the car....I repeat.... you need to clay-bar the car! It is a really easy process, buy a clay-bar, and an empty spray bottle. Wash the car with Dawn dish detergent. Then fill the spray bottle with a small amount of good car wash soap (?Meguire's, Zaino, etc) and water. Spritz a small area at a time and rub the clay over the area. Kneed the clay frequently and continue to rub in straight lines. Was after with a good car wash. Then wax.

Bottom line is that waxing will not improve the smoothness of the finish. Claying and or polishing will.

Use the search feature to learn more on this, especially advice from Dan.

Fred
Old 11-09-04, 08:40 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

My opinion is to clay the car before using anything harder on the paint.

zaino makes great stuff and I think anyone here would second that.

take a look at this http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...S&Store_Code=Z
and see if this is something you feel like doing. If you don't think you can do it, then I would suggest finding a professional detailing shop that will clay your car for you. There may be no need for using 3m compound or anything as heavy as that. I think clay will do. Just follow the instructions carefully. That's all. Good luck.
Old 11-09-04, 08:52 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes, clay is the answer. Go out and get a box of Quik Clay or Clay Magic. They cone with the QD lubricant and sell for around $10-$13.

Cut the clay bar in half or thirds. Flatten the clay and spray a 2' x2' area and glide the clay over the surface. If (when) your drop the clay throw it away and grab one of the unused pieces.

As you clay an area feel the surface with your hand to see that all the grit is gone.

When you finish claying the paint move on and do the windows and finally the wheels.
Old 11-09-04, 08:56 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

one other thing. Once you clay your car you need to wash it(by hand) so all of clay residue is removed. Wash it with a good car wash liquid, such as zaino Z7. You will need to apply zaino polish or any other wax of your choice ASAP. If you don't, your paint is exposed to contaminants. Do not drive the car after you clay it. Wax it immediately.
Old 11-09-04, 05:34 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Thanks Clay Magic

I bought Clay Magic from Auto Zone for $10 - it was the best $10 I've ever spent! I just used the clay bar and it worked wonders! The finish is back to showroom quality and it was so easy to do! Thanks for the clay suggestion!
Old 11-09-04, 06:30 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Re: Thanks Clay Magic

Originally posted by PearlGS400
I bought Clay Magic from Auto Zone for $10 - it was the best $10 I've ever spent! I just used the clay bar and it worked wonders! The finish is back to showroom quality and it was so easy to do! Thanks for the clay suggestion!
If I had a dollar for every person who said that to me I'd have retired years ago. LOL

Most stare at me with a look of "you must be crazy" when I suggest clay. They think that it will harm the finish or will scratch the paint. When I show them they are just amazed.

They are also surprised what a polish like Meguiar's Speed Glaze (#80) can do to remove swirls and restore that new paint look.

Not to mention what a couple coats of NXT will do.

It's all fun.