SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

TPMS Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 08:39 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TPMS Revisited

The other day, when I installed the new stereo head unit, I discovered the prior owner had disconnected the TPMS boxes. I strongly suspect the aftermarket wheels do not have the sensors installed. Since I am stuck with the run-flats for now, short of checking the tire pressure every time I drive the car to ensure I am not running flat, I am stuck on faith that I have air in the tires.

I recently came across some valve stem caps that indicate if the tire is low and they are quite inexpensive and seem to be of good quality. (Not the cheap Chinese ones on Fleabay) I went ahead and ordered them to give them a try.

Has anyone else tried these out?
Old 04-02-15, 09:58 AM
chillsc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure which ones you're referring to. I had posted previously regarding these Fobos that
were at the Sema Show and referenced in an Automobile Magazine article. Never got a reply, but they do sound interesting.
"FOBO Tire is an advanced Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) using latest Bluetooth 4.0 that works directly with your Android and iOS device. With an intelligent In-Car monitoring unit that works on its own or simultaneously with your smart phone, FOBO Tire monitors up to 350 kPa(50 psi) and give you an alert in the absence of a smart phone. Comes with 4 tire sensors and 1 in-car unit."

Last edited by chillsc; 04-02-15 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 12:21 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chill, those look pretty cool. I haven't seen those before. Here's the link to what I ordered. http://www.tireqp.com/pressure-gauge.html

Hopefully they will arrive soon and I can give you guys a review.

Edit-- Ok, I just checked out the FOBO website. I may just have to get this! This system looks awesome.

Originally Posted by chillsc
I'm not sure which ones you're referring to. I had posted previously regarding these Fobos that
were at the Sema Show and referenced in an Automobile Magazine article. Never got a reply, but they do sound interesting.
"FOBO Tire is an advanced Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) using latest Bluetooth 4.0 that works directly with your Android and iOS device. With an intelligent In-Car monitoring unit that works on its own or simultaneously with your smart phone, FOBO Tire monitors up to 350 kPa(50 psi) and give you an alert in the absence of a smart phone. Comes with 4 tire sensors and 1 in-car unit."

Last edited by Helogadget; 04-02-15 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 12:23 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

When you have the new ones added, you might check to see if the OEM sensors are in there. If they are, you can have all the batteries replaced (if that is even possible) and then use them (or keep them for later use or resale them). Most likely the previous owner disconnected the alarm because a battery died in one or more of the sensors and didn't want to deal with the expense of having it replaced or repaired (quite expensive at the dealer).

I put a set of Orange Electronics sensors on our Camry and have been quite pleased with them. (Someone on the forum recommended them years ago.) It has a small display (for the cab) that shows all 4 tire pressures (and temperatures if so desired) at once, as opposed to the SC430 which just has an idiot light.