SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Dealer Installed Options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-02, 10:59 AM
jjspirer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Installed Options?

My SC 430 Midnight Pine Pearl w/ Saddle arrives at the dealer tomorrow or the next day. They have asked if I want options like various radar systems, Lo Jack, paint protection, etc. Any advice? What makes sense for this particular car and is there any advantage to having Lexus install them? I think some kind of radar is a good idea, but don't want to spend a fortune (like the $2500 version!) on it. As far as Lo Jack, I'm not sure that if the car was stolen, I would want it found 10 or 20 days later in who knows what questionable condition. I also wonder if a thief was savvy enough to steal it in the first place, he couldn't disable the system, as well. Thanks in advance for anyone's help. I know virtually nothing about any of this. I just know how excited I am about getting this car!
Old 04-21-02, 11:46 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

jj ...

Congrats on your new car with what I believe will be a beautiful color combination (even though I've never seen one). Please post some pics.

I agree with genearch - get the car first, then decide what, if anything, you want on it.
Old 04-21-02, 11:47 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First of all congrats on the new soon to be arrival and to answer your question this is what I would do:

#1 - Definately get the hood, bumper, mirrors and headlights protected with Xpel or Stoneguard or whatever 3M film treatment your Lexus dealer can source.. Especially with a dark colour like Midnight Pine you will thank me later.. Lexus paint chips easily IMHO..

#2 - One thing I wished I had negotiated was the Black Pearl Emblems but I have a Silver SC so the contrast would be alot more significant than the Midnight Pine but something to think about..

#3 - Some kind of GPS tracking of your car is nice as long as you want additional monthly payments for this service.. I guess if you want peace of mind then I say go for it but I wouldn't get Lexus to install this unless they have done quite a few cars that is.. I would say outsource this part, if you do it..

Hope that helps!

Ken
Old 04-21-02, 11:47 AM
TXSC430
Driver School Candidate

As far as paint protection, I have the indigo ink and within a week of owning the car it became obvious I needed something on the front end. Had xpel clear protection put on by an outside source, cost was around $750 - If my lexus dealer had offered this when I purchased the car I would have had them put it on, even at slight premium over what I paid, this is not something you want done by the lowest bidder.
With your dark color I would definitely recommend you get something or you will be seeing white nicks on your front end before long.
There is a pretty good discussion in the FAQ thread in this forum.
Hope this helps, enjoy your car.
Old 04-21-02, 04:02 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a little FYI, those AutoMate alarm systems the dealers install, no joke....they pay about $20 for those things and charge $500....between the installer and the dealer I bet they make more money of those things then they do the cars. Maybe not, but....And yes I know they arent on Lexus, but dont ever get a dealer installed alarm on a non-luxury car.
Old 04-22-02, 07:53 AM
LexusFamily
Driver School Candidate

Default Paint Protection

Agree with about the value of getting paint protection like xpel. Within a few weeks, it was obvious that I was getting a significant of chips on the front hood... Surprising since I've had my LX470 for over 2 years and *no* chips at all on hood. Perhaps, the paint is harder and it sits significantly higher...
Old 04-22-02, 08:36 AM
jjspirer
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks, everyone

Thanks, everyone for your help and enthusiasm. I will call today about Xpel or an equivalent protection. Ken, what do you mean by "Black Pearl Emblems"?
J.J.
Old 04-22-02, 11:44 AM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Dealer was competitive

I have had a number of cars with K40 and LoJack so I was well aware of the "going rate" for both and my dealer (Difeo Lexus, Bound Brook, NJ) was very competitive with prices compared to outside shop.

With the money being equal I prefer having the dealer take responsibility for everything. They did a masterful job of integrating the K40 into the dash (wish I had a digital camera to show everyone). Recently I had a minor problem with my K40 which my dealer fixed pronto (no charge) while I was in for routine service.

Also, although this was not relevant for me since I paid cash, letting the dealer install can make it easier to make part of lease/loan.
Old 04-22-02, 03:56 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

jjspirer,

Take a look at this picture below it will show what the Black Pearl Emblems look like.. So far I have seen them of a few cars and with the right colour it looks very nice..

Silver & White & Blue really make the emblems pop IMHO or if you want the stealth look on a Black Car it just looks evil (Genearch has them on his ride)
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-02, 10:27 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Options

As for options, I suggest the following:

Skip the Lo-jak; if my car is stolen, I have insurance, and I bet you do, too. Use the proceeds to buy a new one in a different color.

As for radar detectors, skip the installed stuff and get a Valentine; have the dealer run a hot wire (which comes with the unit) from under the dash (from a switched power source), around the windshield and up behind the right side visor. You can then (as I do) use either the visor or the windshield mount without wires hanging down. And you get the best warning available, which you need at 90+ mph. (Which is at least how fast you will be going in your new car.) I have this set up now, and had it in my SC400 for years, and it's the best.

Be careful about "paint protection." Most dealers use that term to refer to wax. Don't let them sell you that deal. If you want plastic applied to the nose, be sure you know what you are getting. I do not have that, and don't know anything else about it.

Happy motoring.
Old 04-27-02, 01:58 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

get a valentine one with a conciled module and have it installed in the visor.... its more expensive then the passport 8000 and k40 but its well worth it.