SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Paint Peeling after two months

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-07, 08:49 AM
markch
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Peeling after two months

I’ve had my 2007 SC for less than two months and the paint is peeling on my rear bumper by the wheel well. It was not hit, bumped or rubbed in any way. I noticed it when I picked up my car last night after getting the new wheels put on.

I don’t want it painted since I had a bad experience with my 05 and paint. The preferred body shop for Lexus could not get the paint to come out right; it always had an orange peel look to it. I’m off to the dealership to see what we can work out. Sheesh, what a pain in the bumper!

Oh, the Lexus Tourmalines look fantastic.
Old 07-21-07, 11:07 AM
markch
Rookie

Quick update...

I spoke with the service manager at the dealership and they will replace my bumper with a new one from another 2007 they have in stock. As always, the people at this dealership are very nice and willing to do the right thing without any issues.
Old 07-21-07, 04:44 PM
margaux01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this nice dealership in the San Francisco Bay Area? If so could you let me know since I live in the bay Area. Thanks!
Old 07-21-07, 05:00 PM
margaux01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read your post on another thread. Is that the dealership where Eric Han... works? Yeah, Eric is a great guy I bought my SC from him....
Old 07-21-07, 07:05 PM
markch
Rookie

Yes, Eric works there, and you are right, he is very nice, in fact, everyone there is great.

Originally Posted by margaux01
Just read your post on another thread. Is that the dealership where Eric Han... works? Yeah, Eric is a great guy I bought my SC from him....
Old 07-21-07, 10:01 PM
donaldp
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The quality of Lexus paint is phenomenal. If your new SC has peeling paint, I would guarantee your car was damaged and then repaired at the Port where the car was staged before delivery to the dealership.

The fact that you have a dealer willing to exchange your bumper with that of a new car is extraordinary for you. What wil the owner of the car that the bumper is taken from have to deal with? You will be the luckier of two!
Old 07-22-07, 02:20 AM
AlBoston
Pole Position

+1 what donald said. The factory is very tight/strict and much more consistent then the work done @ the port. The paint finishes done at the port are still better than any body shop I have seen however.
Old 07-25-07, 07:23 PM
markch
Rookie

I just picked up my SC from getting the bumper replaced and it looks excellent. I’m very happy with the results and service. Speaking of service, the folks at the dealership detailed my car inside and out and reapplied the paint protection as well.

This is what a first class dealership is all about.
Old 07-25-07, 08:12 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by markch
This is what a first class dealership is all about.
NOT!!! Using new car stock as some sort of parts depot to repair customers cars is out of bounds as far as I am concerned, and is a dealer I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. You may be thrilled because you got a new bumper out of the deal, but what about the eventual owner of the car that the bumper was removed from?? He gets a compromised vehicle right off the bat. How can that be right? With that sort of policy by the dealer how many parts of your SC were taken off to satisfy some other customers whims before you bought it? Maybe yours was a cannibal car. It's amazing how people can accept unethical behaviour when it benefits them, but are quick to condemn it when they are on the losing end. It's a slippery slope.
Old 07-25-07, 09:19 PM
markch
Rookie

No need for the hostility or accusations of unethical behavior.

My car is a custom build and was delivered fresh off the boat so it is not a "cannibal car" as you put it. My car is less than two months old and I am NOT going to accept it being repainted because the paint is defective; and using your words, wasn't my car also compromised right off the bat? How can that be right?

Can you give me any reason why I should accept a defective or compromised product? Are you condemning me for insisting on quality or exercising my rights as a consumer?

Are you aware many cars are painted / touched up when they arrive at the dealer due to dings and scrapes they receive during shipping and delivery...that is a fact of life.

Mine was not dinged or scraped, it was flawed, and as such I have every right to get it corrected. Since ordering a new custom build was not a time-acceptable option, the dealership and I agreed on the next logical solution.

How do you know they won't disclose the bumper was repainted on the other car? Do you know for sure they put the defective bumper back on the other car? Did you know they checked with Lexus Corporate to make sure this was a proper solution to the problem with my car. You shouldn't pass judgment so quickly without having the benefit of the facts.

When I spend $70K for a new car, I expect it to be flawless and not having to be repainted due to a problem with the finish from the factory. If the color / leather combo that I ordered was in stock anywhere in the country - and it was not, my car would have been replaced as a dealer buy-back and I would have been given a replacement, end of story.

However, you are certainly entitled to your views as I am entitled to mine. With that said, let the folks here decide if this dealership is good or bad. In my opinion they did the right thing, and in yours, they did not.

Anyway, I'm not going to get into a discussion with you about this, so I respectfully wish you the very best and have a happy life.

Last edited by markch; 07-25-07 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 10:20 PM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

I'm with Mark on this one, and it was a generous thing for the dealership to do. They could have back ordered a bumper, waited a few weeks, and put that on, but instead, they helped out the current customer by doing what was best for the customer. The dealership will probably order a new bumper, and put it on the unsold SC so everything will be alright. And Mark is correct, a paint defect after just a few months should be replaced at the convenience of the owner...