SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How many of you guys are installing turbos in their car

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-16, 02:11 PM
tritron
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you guys are installing turbos in their car

When I got my sc300 I wanted to install turbo on it, i even got the parts but newer had the energy to complete the project so apexi computer installed in my car but that was it after replacing suspension components bushings. I remember reading 9 years ago about someone from boulder, co swapping motor and adding bigger turbos on it. I recently saw 1998 Sc300 with turbo for 29000. What is the cost of installing turbo.
Old 11-26-16, 11:20 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, this thread is gold.

Cost of a turbo is probably around 10 grand to get it making any decent power or more.

If you just want a ***** whipped turbo with 8 PSI no intercooler, you'll be looking at less maybe 4-5 grand.

You'll need intercoolers/Pipes
Exhaust/Intake
Turbo/Manifold
Pistons/Rods (if you exceed 450WHP and it's VVTI)
Engine management (piggyback or standalone)
Injectors/Fuel pump

The list really goes on, but before you do any fo that you need to maintain the car, by fixing breaks/suspension and most likely get a transmissions stall converter and shift kit. Along with a trans cooler.

Asking a question like you asked means you are nowhere near ready to start his kind of project on your own. I would recommend you eaither study the content avail via search or contact a shop to have them do all of this in which case I'm sure it will be 10k-15k easily.
Old 11-27-16, 09:16 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

That's a very vague question..... you didn't even mention what parts are on that car or the power levels.

You can turbo it for a grand or $40k.... its all relative what parts you get, new or used, etc.. labor costs so on and so forth.
Old 11-28-16, 10:32 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

You can turbo it for a grand or $40k.... its all relative what parts you get, new or used, etc.. labor costs so on and so forth.
truth, and there's the "+" after the $40K in some cases.
Old 11-28-16, 01:11 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
Very curious to know exactly what, when installed in a running car in excellent mechanical shape (price doesn't include repairs, suspension, cosmetics) costs more than $40,000...?
Turbo: $500 cheap rebuild to $5k+
Manifolds: $250 cheap to $5k for a schedule 40 inconel
Intake manifold: $1k to 3k
Engine management $200 piggyback to $5k for a loaded stand alone
Tuning: $500 to $4k depends on what they are tuning. The more features, the longer it takes to tune
Fuel setup: $150 for just a fuel pump to a couple thousand for all the lines, injectors, pumps, surge tanks, etc.

As you can see, just the parts alone can cost numerous thousands to get running and that doesn't include supporting mods or labor. No one wants 1000 hp with a sketchy suspension and brakes. See where I'm going with this? The faster you want to go, the more more you need to support it and thus the more cost. And if you're picky and want engineered parts, you'll pay a premium over universal or ebay specials. Dont get me wrong, I'll source ebay parts for certain things, but even the cost of those add up.
Old 11-28-16, 03:49 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you should read up more> I been down this road and If you have to ask these questions maybe you need to buddy up with some local supra/sc guys
Old 11-28-16, 08:11 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
You forgot the boron fiber-titanium intake pipe for $1,000, which adds 0.00 hp.
The difference in power between a $500 SPA cast exhaust manifold and a $5,000 fabricated manifold might be 50 hp in a 1,000 hp engine.
PT 7275 1,000 hp turbo $1,599. Where does the other $3,000 go?
Everything you priced comes to 60% of your total. As I said, what costs more than $40,000?

And he still hasn't told us what parts he already has, or what his target is...
Built block, built head, cams, $4k turbo, expensive exhaust manifold, exhaust, fuel system, stand alone, intake manifold, intercooler, IC piping, injectors, tranny, clutch, driveshaft, rear end.

Lol should I list every part or do you get it? There are a ton of 2JZ platforms that have way more than $40k invested in the drivetrain alone, forget wheels suspension and brakes. If you are counting those too, you are WAY over the $40k mark even if you do majority of the labor yourself.

What planet are you living on where parts for Supras and SCs are cheap? Post some links to these parts so we can all benefit from it. The community appreciates your help.
Old 11-28-16, 10:54 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd have to sit down to see what I'm at. Probably around 3K or so for a self installed, pieced together kit running on a TT ECU. I did budget friendly as possible and it still adds up but I'm not hurting.
Old 11-29-16, 10:01 AM
tritron
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the engine needs to be prepped to handle extra boost. So it makes sense to order engine from japan that was has factory twin turbo from chaser. Install larger turbos on it . The used engine with transmissions runs 1400 and see them as much as 3400. The manual transmission needs to be sourced or automatic needs to be beefed up there is cost . I know that chaser engine for $1400 comes with auto transmission but is that best engine to use ? Turbo kits on ebay go from $500 to $1600. So is it possible to swap engine and turbos for $5000?
Old 11-29-16, 01:53 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

" Again, which is the $5,000 turbo? My point was that spending more money (what you do) isn't the same as completing the project efficiently (what I do)."

$5k turbos: HKS t51r Kai USED, Borg Warner efi series 7175 gt42 $3500 without all the bells and whistles. t04z $3700. Compound turbo setups, Twin turbo setups, the list goes on. Tritron doesn't need any of these, but 97-sc300 was making a good point with the 40k setups; what are the goals of this build?

Tritron could you tell us what you would like to gain from boosting your car? Midrange grunt? Tire shredding low end torque? High HP to show your friends? Just an efficient refresh to make the car feel modern? Not judging your motives, this will help us help you.

Kitabel - You are right, spending more money isn't the same as completing the project. I intentionally left out "efficiently", because "efficiently" adding a turbo, like you said you do, is anecdotal. You fail to see any of the benefits of under the curve power, drive-ability, or other factors that come into other people's builds and how they spend their money. Completing a project doesn't mean it actually works well, it just means you are finished and are not pursuing more. Please stop with the jabs and self righteous rants, you are not helping OP or anyone else who is trying to help OP.
Old 11-29-16, 02:56 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think essentially most people on this forum who are already not, do plan on turbo'ing their vehicles. I plan on it as well but until the funds are acquired its a pipe dream. Like most here have stated you have to do your homework and either buy an entire kit ( which i always thought of as sketch) or build one from scratch from quality( everyone will question what quality means but just buy brands or from places you trust). To attempt to answer your question the cost of the turbo setup is what you want it to be, you have to set a goal of HP, find a transmission that can handle it if its too much, find a good shop that will do the work for a good price, etc there are too many factors to just list man. If i truly had to estimate a very well non performance turbo tune for our cars even though there are others here who could easily bust out a parts and labor list, and make fun of me for saying it but i firmly believe a great reliable setup SHOULD run about $5,000.

Just my two $0.02, don't kill the rookie.

Last edited by BlackIRON; 11-29-16 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Forum Inferiority Complex