Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What do you think of this turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 08:56 AM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you think of this turbo?

Hey, what do you guys think of this turbo? Im thinking about FI, which turbo do you think is the best for my 1997 sc300?

http://www.suprastore.com/tosutucokit1.html
Old 02-08-09, 09:53 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

That is the XSPower turbokit found on www.clubna-t.com.

http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=2037

It's actually about 50 bucks cheaper here.

It's not a bad kit, but some people have had issues with the quality of the turbo. Overall not bad bang for the buck.
Old 02-08-09, 02:37 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T61 is a very suitable match for the SC300. Make sure you take into account mileage overall condition of the engine. Do a compression test just to be sure that the engine can handle boost.
Old 02-08-09, 03:46 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

that is not a true t61...actually a bit bigger if i remember correctly.
Old 02-08-09, 04:23 PM
EL MOSTRO
Pole Position

Save the money and drop a 2jz motor on ur sc...then u will see real power
Old 02-08-09, 04:27 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EL MOSTRO
I disagree..not all of us want 5 bajillion horsepower..when i go turbo i just want a small turbo to make just over 350 horsepower and build my automatic tranny to hold it..i don't want to run 9 second quarter miles..just be able to keep up with today's standard of cars.
Old 02-08-09, 06:19 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

im with dirtysc3 and tavarish. thats the best kit ive ever seen for the buck honestly. its only a few adjustments and you can get upwards from 350whp which sounds dayumm good. thank you theory5150, im now saving for this kit. one question, does an automatic perform better with the turbo over standard? i thought it was vice versa. also, is 80k to many miles to safely handle this kit?
Old 02-08-09, 06:22 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ashtray
im with dirtysc3 and tavarish. thats the best kit ive ever seen for the buck honestly. its only a few adjustments and you can get upwards from 350whp which sounds dayumm good. thank you theory5150, im now saving for this kit. one question, does an automatic perform better with the turbo over standard? i thought it was vice versa. also, is 80k to many miles to safely handle this kit?
When i have the money to go turbo i'm going to stay at auto with a 2800 stall converter and build the tranny. Of course a manual would be more "fun" but here in nebraska with out winters an auto is just more sensible to me. 80k should be fine but you should for sure have a compression test done.
Old 02-08-09, 06:53 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Im guessing ill have to go to Austin for tuning and compression tests? Here in laredo im not sure if theres such a scene as to where i could get it all done. i wouldnt mind installing it myself
Old 02-09-09, 03:07 PM
Turbo?
Pole Position

Originally Posted by durtysc300
I disagree..not all of us want 5 bajillion horsepower..when i go turbo i just want a small turbo to make just over 350 horsepower and build my automatic tranny to hold it..i don't want to run 9 second quarter miles..just be able to keep up with today's standard of cars.
ya but 2jzgte motors are pretty cheap, and its got alot of bang for its buck... you drop the motor in your car slap an intercooler kit and play with the boost. and if you want more you have the proper motor to do it! thats what hes saying. I find the capabilitys of the stock i6 in the SC300 i find cant handle much or do much with it. 2jzgte is easy power for your money so is the 1jz.
both motors are amazing compared to the n/a motors
Old 02-09-09, 03:30 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

i plan on going na-t and once my engine is just completely DEAD, i shall swap for a 2jz-gte, for now id rather save for some quick fun speed.
Old 02-09-09, 07:09 PM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

Gotham racing in the dfw, tx is running a stock bottom end 2jzge with a gte head making well into the 1000whp range, the 2jzge motor can handle 800whp just fine with swapping out the hg for the tt or a thicker one. I been reading on going na-t and that's my choice be different everybody swap out for the 1jz or 2jzgte bro. The crank and rods are the same as the gte, the pistons are slightly different but once the thicker hg go on your fine.
Old 02-10-09, 06:20 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ashtray
Im guessing ill have to go to Austin for tuning and compression tests? Here in laredo im not sure if theres such a scene as to where i could get it all done. i wouldnt mind installing it myself
Any mechanic's shop can perform a compression test so that's the first thing that needs to be done before you start finalizing plans for na-t. Also when putting you turbo setup together make sure you take into account all the little extra tidbits needed like fuel managment, wideband 02, gauges, boost control (optional if you just want to run it off the wastegate) etc. Then after that add about and extra $1500 just in case things go the wrong direction. Good luck!
Old 02-10-09, 08:41 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EL MOSTRO
Yeah man pull your motor and drop it right back in. That's where the power is.
Old 02-10-09, 08:53 AM
EL MOSTRO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbo?
ya but 2jzgte motors are pretty cheap, and its got alot of bang for its buck... You drop the motor in your car slap an intercooler kit and play with the boost. And if you want more you have the proper motor to do it! Thats what hes saying. I find the capabilitys of the stock i6 in the sc300 i find cant handle much or do much with it. 2jzgte is easy power for your money so is the 1jz.
Both motors are amazing compared to the n/a motors
thank you sir. Thas what i was trying to say...stock 2jz can make up to 340hp just stock, then some injectors, intercooler and put the stock twins up to 18 psi we talking almost 380hp..trust me i see it before

Quick Reply: What do you think of this turbo?