RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 rx SMS text response error message

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-13, 08:23 PM
Bgibson30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. Just got the 2013 and I have an iPhone 5. Getting the same error message still.
Old 08-05-13, 05:59 AM
JimDrx350
Driver School Candidate

Default Jim D

I just bought a 2013 RX350 and have just read this thread about the error for replying to text and email messages. I have a Blackberry and it doesn't work with my device. Does the reply functionality work for BB and if not are there plans to get it working in a new OS?
Old 08-05-13, 12:05 PM
Snype
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bgibson30
Same here. Just got the 2013 and I have an iPhone 5. Getting the same error message still.
It doesn't work because Apple doesn't provide for the functionality. They should (theoretically anyway), but it's not in iOS, only the capability to read new messages. Guess they want everyone to use Siri instead to respond.
Old 08-07-13, 12:32 PM
JimDrx350
Driver School Candidate

I asked the Lexus sales guy from the dealership where I bought my vehicle and his response is:

"I just checked with Lexus with regard the feature of sending a text message. Pretty much all phones will receive a text message but only a very few will send one. The technology is in the vehicle but (in the Blackberry line) only the Z10 (through Rogers only) and the Bold9790 (through Rogers,Fido and Telus) will work for sending a text message. This is still a system (smartphone integration) that is not fully explored but as time goes on the utilization will improve."

Unfortunately, I have a BB Torch, so no auto replies from my vehicle for a while.
(PS I was very pleased with the sales guy and dealer where I bought my vehicle.)
Old 06-26-15, 07:33 AM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Replying to text message received via headunit

OK, I have researched this matter and am still left with a question. In the thread below, people said (in 2012 and 2013) that we should be able to reply to text messages with the next update to iOS. I'm running v8.3 on an iPhone 6P and, as of this morning, am unable to reply to a text message attempting to use one of the standard, built in replies.

Does this mean that nothing actually changed with the updates to iOS or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thank you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-message.html

Last edited by klwagoner; 06-26-15 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-26-15, 09:05 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Kimberly, it's always a bit challenging reopening an almost 2-year old thread, but, FWIW, I just went back to the official iOS announcements, and saw nothing there that would have made me feel the capability was being added as some previous folks in this thread suggested was going to happen. Be that as it may, no, you still can't reply unless Siri is involved (which won't happen on standard off-the-line 2013 like yours and mine via the RX's interface, you'd have to use the iPhone in "standalone" Siri operation). There is another thread where someone found their 2013 could be updated (at cost) with Siri Eyes Free -- it may be something you want to explore if you're willing to flip the $200+.

My personal opinion, without any inside knowledge or real facts to back it up whatsoever, is that Apple has not implemented the reply capability you and others desire because of potential liability concerns and their seemingly then to promote taking one's eyes off the road to reply to texts if they turned on the capability -- when we know that isn't what many States are trying to promote with "no texting while driving" laws. If I were Apple, given how lawsuit happy people tend to be these days, I wouldn't implement it either when I had Siri that could do it without taking your eyes off the road. My 2-cents for what it may or may not be worth.

Last edited by BertL; 06-26-15 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Improved clarify (I hope)
Old 06-26-15, 01:38 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you, Bert! Trust me, I wasn't trying to re-open a 2-year old thread but apparently that is the policy around here -- one can't post a "new" subject/question if it's ever been broached before (my thread was moved to this post) -- not my preference on how to do things, but no one asked me so...

Thanks again for looking into that. So much for having new "options" from technology. If one company doesn't find a way to ****** it away from you, another one will.

Originally Posted by BertL
Kimberly, it's always a bit challenging reopening an almost 2-year old thread, but, FWIW, I just went back to the official iOS announcements, and saw nothing there that would have made me feel the capability was being added as some previous folks in this thread suggested was going to happen. Be that as it may, no, you still can't reply unless Siri is involved (which won't happen on standard off-the-line 2013 like yours and mine via the RX's interface, you'd have to use the iPhone in "standalone" Siri operation). There is another thread where someone found their 2013 could be updated (at cost) with Siri Eyes Free -- it may be something you want to explore if you're willing to flip the $200+.

My personal opinion, without any inside knowledge or real facts to back it up whatsoever, is that Apple has not implemented the reply capability you and others desire because of potential liability concerns and their seemingly then to promote taking one's eyes off the road to reply to texts if they turned on the capability -- when we know that isn't what many States are trying to promote with "no texting while driving" laws. If I were Apple, given how lawsuit happy people tend to be these days, I wouldn't implement it either when I had Siri that could do it without taking your eyes off the road. My 2-cents for what it may or may not be worth.
Old 06-26-15, 03:15 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by klwagoner
Thank you, Bert! Trust me, I wasn't trying to re-open a 2-year old thread but apparently that is the policy around here -- one can't post a "new" subject/question if it's ever been broached before (my thread was moved to this post) -- not my preference on how to do things, but no one asked me so...

Thanks again for looking into that. So much for having new "options" from technology. If one company doesn't find a way to ****** it away from you, another one will.
No problem on the post. My reference to a 2-year old thread was really meant that your comments about the iOS enhancements were pretty old -- iOS levels and iPhones have completely changed, and in the world of computers, electronics and wireless, well, that's a pretty long time.
As a side note: It's a Mod's judgement call trying to keep things going across the many forums and thousands of threads when things get merged or moved. You shouldn't feel bad as threads I've personally authored or posts I've made over the years have been merged and moved before too. We do try to keep things tidy and somewhat logical if we can -- as it helps in future searches folks do, and for some of us, it becomes a real bear when we have multiple threads that inadvertently sort of recreate the wheel -- not focused on you -- but IMHO a growing number of folks tend to pop in and read what's on their screen these days, not from the beginning of a thread -- so as you can imagine, that does make it sorta dejevu for those of us that try and read nearly every post across several forums, or for others jumping on the forums years from now doing a search and see several threads that seemingly go down similar paths ...so, when we see similar new subjects or banter going on that has happened before (assuming we remember it did!), well, we try to head that off with a merge or move. In this case, another Mod was in tidy-up mode and your post was merged -- not a big deal really. I admit that from time-to-time I go into cleaning mode myself, so watch out! AHAHAHAHA. Hopefully that little dissertation helps at least why some of us Mods do the merge/move thing from time-to-time. In any case, Enjoy that RX and I look forward to your next post. Keep 'um coming, and for now, have a great weekend.