RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Annoying Dash Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 09:41 AM
Dave_S.
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Dash Rattles

Just ranting a bit... My 07 RX350 is back at the dealership having the dash removed for the 4th time. The annoying rattles coming from near the defroster vent area on the passenger side and a really obnoxious clicking sound that seems to be coming from the area near the side vent on the passenger side are have both returned again.
These dash rattles are very disappointing. The 09 loaner RX 350 the dealer gave me has the same problem and sounds as bad as my car does.
Old 10-15-09, 10:52 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Had that with our '04 RX but our '09 is rattle free. Is it time to give up?
Old 10-16-09, 04:53 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd ask to see the dash when they remove it. You can try to figure out at what area it rattles at and see what's around there and if there's something you can do to maybe eliminate the problem. 2 heads are sometimes better than one.
Old 10-16-09, 05:32 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

having solved several rattles in the acura line, i would recommend taking it to another dealer if possible, or requesting a different tech look at it. if this is the 4th time for the dash to be removed the guy clearly doesnt know what the heck he is doing.
Old 10-18-09, 05:58 PM
dave2K
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suggestions

My '04 had a very annoying rattle coming from the bottom of the A pillar on the passenger side, near the side dash vent, when I purchased it about 16 months ago. No warranty, so I was on my own. I had my wife drive it on roads that caused the rattle and I experimented by putting pressure on various areas of the dash and inserting plastic spacers in gaps to see if the rattle could be stopped. I discovered that the rattle was coming from the gap where the A pillar cover goes behind the dash. I obtained a repair manual so I could take the area apart at the rattle location. However, after reading about how easily the side air bag on the A pillar could be damaged, I decided I would try to fix the rattle without taking the car apart. I ended up cutting some color-matched rubber pieces that could be wedged into the gap and remain virtually invisible. I wedged the rubber in fairly tight as I expect the gap varies somewhat based upon the temperature. The rattle disappeared on my first attempt and has not returned. This may or may not help other owners. Dash rattles can be very challenging. I had a Mercedes with a dash rattle and I think it took about 5 visits to the dealer to get it fixed. Good luck.
Old 10-19-09, 05:14 AM
Dave_S.
Rookie

Thanks Dave. Your description below is exactly the same as the clicking sound I have. My wife found that she could put pressure on the pillar cover and get it to stop. If the dealer can't fix that one, I'll try your rubber wedge method. The loaner car I have has the same problem so it must be widespread.

Originally Posted by dave2K
My '04 had a very annoying rattle coming from the bottom of the A pillar on the passenger side, near the side dash vent, when I purchased it about 16 months ago. No warranty, so I was on my own. I had my wife drive it on roads that caused the rattle and I experimented by putting pressure on various areas of the dash and inserting plastic spacers in gaps to see if the rattle could be stopped. I discovered that the rattle was coming from the gap where the A pillar cover goes behind the dash. I obtained a repair manual so I could take the area apart at the rattle location. However, after reading about how easily the side air bag on the A pillar could be damaged, I decided I would try to fix the rattle without taking the car apart. I ended up cutting some color-matched rubber pieces that could be wedged into the gap and remain virtually invisible. I wedged the rubber in fairly tight as I expect the gap varies somewhat based upon the temperature. The rattle disappeared on my first attempt and has not returned. This may or may not help other owners. Dash rattles can be very challenging. I had a Mercedes with a dash rattle and I think it took about 5 visits to the dealer to get it fixed. Good luck.
Old 10-19-09, 06:51 AM
rmgmag
Driver School Candidate

My 2008 RX 350 purchased in Feb 08 has developed a rattle in the passenger door. It is NOT the seat belt making noise but appears to be in the plastic molding near the window.

Does anyone know if this is still covered by the warranty? Other cars iahve had after 12 months or 12,000 miles you were out of luck.
Old 10-19-09, 11:00 AM
Dave_S.
Rookie

I've had the dealer fix rattles in mine 4 times under warranty. I think it is 4 years or 50,000 miles for this kind of coverage.
Old 10-20-09, 01:16 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

^^ You are right, rattles are covered under the normal warranty as stated.