RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

$%#@#&* Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-08, 12:05 PM
dcl8254
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N filters are great for installation/removal

Originally Posted by Lexmex
This is an older shot with the OEM-sized K&N HP-1002.
I find the K&N filters to make installation & removal a snap since they have the 1 inch nut on the bottom of the filter.
Old 12-31-08, 01:02 PM
Nickv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default But WHAT filter?

Mentions of different filters for the RX300.... But what filter is considered the "best" one? For just regular driving... A specific suggestion, please?
NickV
Old 12-31-08, 02:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickv
Mentions of different filters for the RX300.... But what filter is considered the "best" one? For just regular driving... A specific suggestion, please?
NickV
We all have different opinions on the subject and you'll hear differing opinions. My personal favorite is the K&N since I started using it way back in 2002 in Mexico and I stuck with it. However, I will say moving to an oversized filter the size of the K&N HP-2009 can only help given the bigger size in terms of flow and filtration. My girlfriend has a 99 Expedition 5.4 L that uses 6 quarts of oil and uses a very similar sized HP-2010 filter to the HP-2009, so I feel much more comfortable using something like that even for daily driving.
Old 01-05-09, 06:48 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickv
NickV
I have found that the Purelator (the white one) works very well. And I dont think it is worth spending the extra money on the supposed better Purelator filter(the blue one) either.
Old 01-07-09, 10:08 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i grabbed up the k&n 2009 that Lexmex reccomended for my last oil change, im not due for another oil change for like another 800 miles or so, when i do that ill be able to tell based on the color of the oil if it made a significant difference. either way im going to keep using that filter because i feel more comfortable knowing that theres like double the filtering power and it is easier to get in and out. Thanks Lexmex
Old 05-27-20, 02:16 PM
Robherrera
Driver School Candidate

I’ve been having good results with the Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter that I use with Mobile 1 synthetic oil. I do a change every 3 months (5000 miles). I have a 2000 RX300 with 155K miles. I found that changing the filter from the top works better, you just need to figure out the route to fish the filter through since space is limited 😂. I use a fluid evacuator so I perform the entire service from the top. I still put a pan under the motor because oil does drip down the side of the motor when you remove the oil filter. I wipe the area as much as I can before installing the new filter. This is the least messy way I know to do it.

At 5000 miles the oil is darker brown instead of black when I used to do the changes at 10,000 miles (6 months). I decided to just half the interval since I needed to add a quart of oil between changes when I was doing the longer interval. Is this consumption normal? We’ve had the car since 2013 and it’s always needed that one quart between changes.
Old 05-28-20, 06:19 PM
coomassie
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robherrera
I’ve been having good results with the Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter that I use with Mobile 1 synthetic oil. I do a change every 3 months (5000 miles). I have a 2000 RX300 with 155K miles. I found that changing the filter from the top works better, you just need to figure out the route to fish the filter through since space is limited 😂. I use a fluid evacuator so I perform the entire service from the top. I still put a pan under the motor because oil does drip down the side of the motor when you remove the oil filter. I wipe the area as much as I can before installing the new filter. This is the least messy way I know to do it.

At 5000 miles the oil is darker brown instead of black when I used to do the changes at 10,000 miles (6 months). I decided to just half the interval since I needed to add a quart of oil between changes when I was doing the longer interval. Is this consumption normal? We’ve had the car since 2013 and it’s always needed that one quart between changes.
Yes, the oil consumption is common. It's a result of poor design from the rear valve cover and PCV valve. There's numerous threads discussing this design flaw, and what steps it takes to fix it with the 3rd generation valve cover.
The following users liked this post:
Robherrera (05-29-20)
Old 05-29-20, 08:30 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Robherrera,

The oil consumption can get much worse due to the rear valve cover, and depending on the speed you drive. I once burned 1 quart in 300 miles driving 80 mph before I did the rear valve cover change.
It is difficult to change the rear valve cover yourself, so if you are only burning 1 qt in 10,000 miles, I would just continue monitoring the oil level between changes. (The labor to do this at a Toyota dealership was quoted to me at $600 several years ago.) But interstate driving will increase that, so if you drive across the country, I would check more often.

here are a couple of threads to read through regarding the rear valve cover:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nsumption.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...lve-cover.html
The following users liked this post:
Robherrera (05-29-20)
Old 05-29-20, 11:03 AM
Robherrera
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmus
Robherrera,

The oil consumption can get much worse due to the rear valve cover, and depending on the speed you drive. I once burned 1 quart in 300 miles driving 80 mph before I did the rear valve cover change.
It is difficult to change the rear valve cover yourself, so if you are only burning 1 qt in 10,000 miles, I would just continue monitoring the oil level between changes. (The labor to do this at a Toyota dealership was quoted to me at $600 several years ago.) But interstate driving will increase that, so if you drive across the country, I would check more often.

here are a couple of threads to read through regarding the rear valve cover:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nsumption.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...lve-cover.html
Thank you! This is really useful information. Yes, we do a 68 mi round trip commute on weekdays. 70-80 mph on the highway.

I’ve had the PCV valve and rear valve cover gasket replaced when I had the plugs replaced a couple years ago because I noticed the leak when I change the oil but the design itself isn’t great so it it would still leak but not as bad as before. I check the oil every other week.

I’m glad to hear from you folks that my car is pretty much normal because aside from this, it’s been a joy to drive even with high mileage. It’s smooth and quiet as ever. The interior held up well although I’ll need to paint the exterior someday. I’ve hesitated on the paint job because San Francisco is not kind to cars.