RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2000 RX300 in dash CD no workie (disc number just blinks)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 09:36 PM
jacobzking
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 RX300 in dash CD no workie (disc number just blinks)

just bought my rx300, didnt have a CD cartridge when I bought it, so i didnt know if it worked or not. went to sewell lexus, got my magazine, put a burned CD in and the disc number just flashed. figured maybe it wont read burned discs so i put in 2 music CDs and they did the same thing. i'm assuming its just the cd changer in the dash? anyone have thoughts, instructions on how to remove (or fix), etc... thanks!
Old 02-24-08, 10:48 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

The home burned CDs are typically thicker and much more so if you add a label on top.

Due to misfeed, you may have a cd stuck in there. Just make sure you have all CDs accounted for.

Salim
Old 02-25-08, 12:34 AM
jacobzking
Lead Lap

i just bought the car and it didnt have a magazine inside, so i bought a new magazine to put in. i guess no way to know without taking it out and taking it apart? any links on how to remove the in dash changer?
Old 02-25-08, 01:40 AM
jacobzking
Lead Lap

no extra disc in the changer. i just ordered a replacement from egay for 118 shipped w/ 30 day warranty
Old 02-25-08, 02:52 AM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your not trying to play mp3s are you? cause it wont play mp3 files.

and when you put the disc on the tray makes sure the disc is upside down.
Old 02-25-08, 09:21 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

As indicated by others, make sure your cd is regular cd and that would eliminate cd read error. If it misfeed then try it with only 1 disc [disc1 is the bottom most].

Just to test it out you can try loading an empty cartridge with plastic trays and let the cd changer cycle through all slots. It may spit out the stuck cd .. the likelihood of pleasant surprises is the same as unpleasant ones

If it is a stuck cd (from previous owner) and you want to take the cd changer out ... look at the websites of people who do cd repair. They even have a step by step process with photos posted on their sites. Their business model is that you take the cd player out and send it to them and after repairs you install it yourself.

Salim
Old 02-26-08, 12:19 AM
jacobzking
Lead Lap

Red face

Originally Posted by bloo1987
your not trying to play mp3s are you? cause it wont play mp3 files.

and when you put the disc on the tray makes sure the disc is upside down.
HA! So after searching the net and coming up with nothing I decide to order a replacement online. Found one on eBay and did Buy It Now for 119 hipped. So I'm bored and decide to go ahead and get the thing removed so its ready for the replacement. I get the thing out pretty easily and decide to take it apart (it doesn't work, so why not?). After taking the thing apart in to 1,000,000 pieces I give up and through all the boards, screws and panels in to a bag, forget it! Few hours later I mention it to a friend of mine that works in a body shop. She says, "are you sure you had the CDs in the right way?" Duh, of course I did. Every CD changer I've ever owned (Acura RL, Mercedes SLK, aftermarket Sony, etc... all load the same way). She says, "let me see it." So I beat her to the car where I have the cartridge loosely in the glove box (but no changer...it's in a million pieces). I look at the cartridge and sure enough in big gold letters, "insert CDs with label facing down" OMFG! Are you kidding me? UPSIDE DOWN?!?!?!?! Sure enough, the whole time I was just putting the CDs in wrong. What a n00b. Luckily I'm certified to work on several laptops and small electronics so I was luckily able to piece back together my stock changer with only 2 screws left over but it works like a champ! (cancelled my replacement order and got my money back) sweet!
Old 02-26-08, 12:40 AM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha figured that was the problem. glad everything worked out.

Originally Posted by jacobzking
HA! So after searching the net and coming up with nothing I decide to order a replacement online. Found one on eBay and did Buy It Now for 119 hipped. So I'm bored and decide to go ahead and get the thing removed so its ready for the replacement. I get the thing out pretty easily and decide to take it apart (it doesn't work, so why not?). After taking the thing apart in to 1,000,000 pieces I give up and through all the boards, screws and panels in to a bag, forget it! Few hours later I mention it to a friend of mine that works in a body shop. She says, "are you sure you had the CDs in the right way?" Duh, of course I did. Every CD changer I've ever owned (Acura RL, Mercedes SLK, aftermarket Sony, etc... all load the same way). She says, "let me see it." So I beat her to the car where I have the cartridge loosely in the glove box (but no changer...it's in a million pieces). I look at the cartridge and sure enough in big gold letters, "insert CDs with label facing down" OMFG! Are you kidding me? UPSIDE DOWN?!?!?!?! Sure enough, the whole time I was just putting the CDs in wrong. What a n00b. Luckily I'm certified to work on several laptops and small electronics so I was luckily able to piece back together my stock changer with only 2 screws left over but it works like a champ! (cancelled my replacement order and got my money back) sweet!
Old 02-26-08, 07:12 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Noob rule #1 - don't even go to the bathroom without checking here first!!!