RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

My Mark Levinson Scientific Test

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 06:06 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My Mark Levinson Scientific Test

Since I would have to wait an extra month or two -- no big deal in my case -- in order to get the color combo of RX I wanted with the Mark Levinson, I decided to make a test today.

Since my dealer had about 20 2008 RXs, 19 w/o ML and 1 with ML, I got my friendly salesman to give the keys to 2 adjoining 2008 RXs -- one with ML and one w/o. He very nicely went away and let me conduct my audio test alone, using my ears and my music played at my favorite level ("40" as it turns out). I listened to a mixture of mainly classical music with some 60s rock as well. I did most of the listening from my own purchased CDs, but I also listened some to the FM as well.

I went back and forth the 2 cars listening to the exact same thing. I did this for an hour or so. The bottom line?

I could tell ZERO difference between the two. On passages loud and soft, on choral music and on symphonic pieces, on Beach Boys and on the Beattles, it all sounded the same between the two cars. I strained my ears trying to pick up some different, but none was ever apparent.

For the record, my salesman thinks that ML makes a difference on some Lexus cars, but not on the RX. He's right based on my test. In fact, after about 45 minutes, they were so much alike that I had to remind myself which RX had the ML and which didn't.

I'm sure that other types of music, played at different volume levels to different ears might pick up some differences. But, for me, ML makes no sense. It only adds cost, not value (other than playing DVDs in the car, which I have no intention of doing.)
Old 11-19-07, 07:34 PM
GoodDrivin
Driver School Candidate

Play something with bass. Maybe like a hip hop whatever. I've noticed the deep bass is totally missing. I didn't notice till I drove my other car, but the stock bass is pretty weak.
Old 11-19-07, 08:01 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also try listening to a woman singing, and the depth and staging is much better in the Mark Levinson. When we have a loaner RX without Mark, we are begging to go back.
Old 11-19-07, 08:22 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GoodDrivin
Play something with bass. Maybe like a hip hop whatever. I've noticed the deep bass is totally missing. I didn't notice till I drove my other car, but the stock bass is pretty weak.
Some of the music I listened to -- not hip hop -- had a fair amount of base. I did not notice any difference whatsoever.
Old 11-19-07, 08:24 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lucasb7
Also try listening to a woman singing, and the depth and staging is much better in the Mark Levinson. When we have a loaner RX without Mark, we are begging to go back.
Some of the choral music I listened to had a woman singing. I could tell no difference in a strictly controlled test.
Old 11-19-07, 08:29 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by steverhode
Since I would have to wait an extra month or two -- no big deal in my case -- in order to get the color combo of RX I wanted with the Mark Levinson, I decided to make a test today.

Since my dealer had about 20 2008 RXs, 19 w/o ML and 1 with ML, I got my friendly salesman to give the keys to 2 adjoining 2008 RXs -- one with ML and one w/o. He very nicely went away and let me conduct my audio test alone, using my ears and my music played at my favorite level ("40" as it turns out). I listened to a mixture of mainly classical music with some 60s rock as well. I did most of the listening from my own purchased CDs, but I also listened some to the FM as well.

I went back and forth the 2 cars listening to the exact same thing. I did this for an hour or so. The bottom line?

I could tell ZERO difference between the two. On passages loud and soft, on choral music and on symphonic pieces, on Beach Boys and on the Beattles, it all sounded the same between the two cars. I strained my ears trying to pick up some different, but none was ever apparent.

For the record, my salesman thinks that ML makes a difference on some Lexus cars, but not on the RX. He's right based on my test. In fact, after about 45 minutes, they were so much alike that I had to remind myself which RX had the ML and which didn't.

I'm sure that other types of music, played at different volume levels to different ears might pick up some differences. But, for me, ML makes no sense. It only adds cost, not value (other than playing DVDs in the car, which I have no intention of doing.)

For those believers in a Mark Levinson system on an RX because when they've driven one without ML and been disappointed, I'd encourage them to do a strictly controlled test like I did. One that doesn't require long term memory of how you think the sound sounded. You may be surprised.

In fact, in a blindfolded test, you might not even be able to guess which has ML and which one doesn't. (Drinkers of expensive Vodka, for example, are convinced theirs taste better, but, in a controlled test as they demonstrated on 20/20, they can't pick out which is the cheap vodka and which is the expensive stuff.
Old 11-20-07, 06:01 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by steverhode
For those believers in a Mark Levinson system on an RX because when they've driven one without ML and been disappointed, I'd encourage them to do a strictly controlled test like I did. One that doesn't require long term memory of how you think the sound sounded. You may be surprised.

In fact, in a blindfolded test, you might not even be able to guess which has ML and which one doesn't. (Drinkers of expensive Vodka, for example, are convinced theirs taste better, but, in a controlled test as they demonstrated on 20/20, they can't pick out which is the cheap vodka and which is the expensive stuff.
You seem to fail to consider one important fact. Just as with the ability to taste, people have vastly different ability to hear. Now I'm not saying your ears are no good, I am saying that people have much different ability to hear all frequencies. I can easily tell the difference between the two systems.

I also am a wine lover. I've found that through the years my ability to detect subtle tastes in wine has grown. I've learned a few things about how to taste. People can also learn how to improve their hearing ability as well.

If you really want to do a "scientific" test all you need to do is get a sound level meter and an audio test CD. Play the sweep tones and record the flatness and level of the tones in both vehicles. Your, or my, ears are not scientific instruments.
Old 11-20-07, 07:05 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

While I love the ML system I was forced to take with the RSES on my RX 330, it never seemed much better than the standard system in my RX 300. This is the first time I've heard someone has done an extended test with their own familiar music. I've suspected this result for some time; while the ML system represents a marked improvement over the standard in some Lexus products, the RX's acoustic environment may not respond to all of the dollars thrown at it. Thanks, steverhode for your assessment.

Of course, this kind of test is entirely subjective, but not entirely without merit. Sophisticated instrumentation isn't going to listen to my car's audio system, I am. We have to find what sounds good to us, particularly for our type of music. Rap fans want a bumpin' bass that is totally biased toward the sub-50 Hz range. That would be totally wrong for enjoyment of a full orchestra where the strings would be buried in the percussion. Small jazz ensembles or string quartets require a smooth flat response where "presence" is the key, while rock might do better with emphasis at the high and low ends. (OK, metal would do best with a steeply depressed midrange to bury the vocals altogether. )

I love music of many kinds from classic to country, blues, jazz, and rock, but time and exposure to heavy ordinance in my youth are rapidly catching up with my ability to enjoy the nuances of the performance. In my case, I will have to seriously consider the value of an upgraded audio system in my next car. My wife will make the decision this time - at least she is capable of hearing the difference. Anyone who can sleep through the dog yapping at her feet, yet hear me sneaking in the back door at 3am MUST have discerning ears.
Old 11-20-07, 08:54 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jfelbab
You seem to fail to consider one important fact. Just as with the ability to taste, people have vastly different ability to hear.

If you really want to do a "scientific" test all you need to do is get a sound level meter and an audio test CD. Play the sweep tones and record the flatness and level of the tones in both vehicles. Your, or my, ears are not scientific instruments.

You are EXACTLY correct, which is why I said the test was with my ears, which of course is all that matters to me. Still, I would not be surprised to find, based on my test, that the vast majority of Lexus RX buyers when given a bildfolded test will not be able to identify the RX with ML from the one w/o.

(On the other hand, if someone plays music that is 90% a test of the subwoofers perhaps anyone could tell the difference then, I don't know.)
Old 11-20-07, 12:50 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The ML system on the RX doesnt make much diff. When you step into a say a GX, that ML system is much better.
Old 11-21-07, 05:28 PM
asianrage
Driver

While we were shopping the RX, I really wanted to get the ML system. But the salesman told us not to waste money with the ML and use the money to upgrade the speakers and what not...
Old 11-22-07, 10:50 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
The ML system on the RX doesnt make much diff. When you step into a say a GX, that ML system is much better.
My salesman, an orginal straightshooter if there ever was one, thinks that ML can make a noticable difference on other Lexus cars, just not the RX.
Old 11-23-07, 12:47 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had both the standard Lexus system on my previous RX330 and the ML on my current RX350 and found both to be quality systems. Sound appreciation, like visual appreciation, is a subjective personal thing and as long as you like the sound issued or the picture you are viewing, that is all that matters.