RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Where to buy replacement key

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 10:58 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy replacement key

My key to the RX has been breaking apart and I need to order a new one. Can someone tell me where I can order the key precut, so I can just program it on my own?

Thanks!
Old 04-04-07, 11:31 AM
coolhand
Rookie

I only have one key and need to get a new key as well.
I went to Lexus and they want $230 to cut and program the key...
As far as I know, you can't program RX330 or 350 key... only dealer can do that.
Does anyone know any other way to save $ on key replacement?
Old 04-04-07, 12:27 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

They key is really three pieces.

Half shell
blade+other half shell
Electronics.

If the plastic half shell is broken, there is a good chance that the dealer would give you the part for free.

If the blade+other half shell is broken you have to buy a new key-blank.

If the electronics is broken/lost then you need to order the whole key [master or valet]

To purchase you have the dealer (will give you genuine keys) or you can explore the after market. There are different quality levels when you talk about after-market product.

If you buy after market make sure the key is uncut or some one will will cut the key for you. [requires special equipment ... dealer has it]. Dealar may refuse to cut a blank key if they think the key blank is not genuine and it can damage there equipment {may or may not be true}. Some sellers will cut the key if you send them the 4 digit code stamped on your emergency key card. Dealer can look up the vin.

If you have at least one master key, the new key remote can be programmed. Steps have been posted in CL (please check if they will work for 330/350. Dealer can program the remote and so can some of the after-market sellers. [They may require you send them the master key]

Key balnks range from $30's (after market) to $80's. Cost to cut the key is about $20. Genuine complete key can run you close to $300. All of these are approximate prices.

Salim
Old 04-05-07, 09:38 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the shell on my key broke recently after 4 years. the plastic cracked at the base where the shell meets the blade. the transponder was fine, so all i had to do was order the shell w/ new blade (the blade cannot be transferred; it's "fixed" to the shell).

as always, i contacted lexus-parts.com and the shell, with a CUT blade for my car, is about $53 after the 10% CL discount. just provide them with VIN and proof of ownership and you are all set.

the key arrives within a week and you just move the transponder over to the new shell. now i have a fresh new key
Old 04-05-07, 05:04 PM
Bob99b5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuslover
the shell on my key broke recently after 4 years. the plastic cracked at the base where the shell meets the blade. the transponder was fine, so all i had to do was order the shell w/ new blade (the blade cannot be transferred; it's "fixed" to the shell).

as always, i contacted lexus-parts.com and the shell, with a CUT blade for my car, is about $53 after the 10% CL discount. just provide them with VIN and proof of ownership and you are all set.

the key arrives within a week and you just move the transponder over to the new shell. now i have a fresh new key
I had the same problem on our '04 RX. The dealer replaced it under warranty.
Old 04-05-07, 05:09 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover

I've been wanting to buy a spare key from them for a while. By proof of ownership do you have to fax or main them the title or registration, or a simple picture or scan of the documents enough:? I've always wondered about that part.
Old 04-05-07, 06:01 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I've been wanting to buy a spare key from them for a while. By proof of ownership do you have to fax or main them the title or registration, or a simple picture or scan of the documents enough:? I've always wondered about that part.
Their web-site states the requirements ... fax number is listed there.

Salim
Old 11-14-07, 09:37 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any instructions on programming a master key fob for the RX330?