RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

A/C Evaporator core replace need replace freon?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 03:18 PM
dbui
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Evaporator core replace need replace freon?

I am taking my car to the body shop to get it fix. A Truck ramp me in the back really hard and I bump the other car in front of me. I broke the front grill and bended the A/C evaporator which located in front of the radiator.
My question is that when the body shop replaced the new A/C evaporator do they have to charge new freon for my A/C?
Old 08-20-11, 04:10 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

Probably....I assume the evaporator broke open...?
Old 08-20-11, 05:37 PM
dbui
Driver

The evaporator bended not broke but the it need to be replace with the new one if they replace the evaporator don't they have ot replace the freon too? please advices.
Old 08-20-11, 09:05 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

Assuming the refrigerant did not leak out already, the right process is to evacuate the refrigerant, introduce air, cut out the old evap, put the new evap, connect the plumbing, evacuate the system, run vacuum hold test (verify there is no leak), fill the right amount of refrigerant and right amount of oil, disconnect.

Salim
Old 08-20-11, 11:43 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dbui
The evaporator bended not broke but the it need to be replace with the new one if they replace the evaporator don't they have ot replace the freon too? please advices.
Actually it's the condenser, the evaporator is inside the car, where the cold comes from.
Old 08-21-11, 08:19 AM
dbui
Driver

oh sorry so the radiator looking a like behind the grill in front of the radiator is a A/C condenser. Thank you good to know which one is which.

According to Salim instructions, these steps need to be taken to replace the A/C condenser? I need to understand the procedure so I can talk to the body shop when they replacing my condenser. I just don't want to take it back when there no A/C in the car specially in the Middle of Summer.
Old 08-21-11, 08:41 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

oh sorry so the radiator looking a like behind the grill in front of the radiator is a A/C condenser. Thank you good to know which one is which.

According to Salim instructions, these steps need to be taken to replace the A/C condenser? I need to understand the procedure so I can talk to the body shop when they replacing my condenser. I just don't want to take it back when there no A/C in the car specially in the Middle of Summer.
If you're worried that the body shop doesn't know that the system needs refrigerant to work, then you need to find a new body shop.
Old 08-21-11, 09:33 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

A large body shop will have a crew and equipment (some mandated by the state/county) to work on the ac. The smaller shops would take your vehicle to ac shops [sub the work].

At the end the body shop will provide you the warranty on all the repairs that have been done.

Depending upon when they air out the system and re-charge it, they may include a dryer. [if it is already leaked out, the time started at the time of the accident].

IMHO you are worrying too much and should let the shop do the job. If you dont trust them, then you should take the vehicle to some other place.

Salim
Old 08-21-11, 10:11 AM
dbui
Driver

thank for your advices. It not that I don't trust the body shop, I need the knowlegde so I can understand what are they doing to my car. Some of the body shop do take you on the ride.
Old 08-21-11, 11:11 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Scroll down to see the simplified technical explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refridgerator

The part you are replacing is in the loop of the refrigerant and one has to evacuate and fill.

Hope this helps.

Salim