RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Fort Worth,TX Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 02:46 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fort Worth,TX Service

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place in Fort Worth, TX to get our 2003 RX300 serviced (water pump, drive belts, timing belt).

I called Sewell and they quoted $1460 and Toyota won't do it. In AZ the same service cost $1100 through Lexus of Chandler.

Has anyone gotten their Lexus serviced at a reputable (non-dealer) shop in or around Fort Worth?

Thanks.
Old 06-27-10, 09:01 PM
davidyal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be looking to do the same service next year. A freidn suggested "Chrisitian Brothers Automotive" which has franchises all over DFW area. I'd give them a call first.
Old 07-02-10, 07:32 AM
prsjacki
Driver School Candidate

Default SEWELL over priced & charge mistakes they make!

I have a 2000 Lexus rx300. In 2005, I had an engine light come on. Went to Sewell, said O2 sensor was out. Told them to replace and needed car in 3 days to go to father's funeral in Oklahoma. Picked up car next day, charged me 1800 for repairs. Went home loaded up car, got 10miles out of town and engine light came back on.
Return to Sewell, repair contact representative I had delt with just an hour previously had car immediately reinspected for problem.
Came back after an hour and told me THEY replaced the WRONG o2 sensor and that it was another one needing replacment. I asked how long and he said I could drive to Oklahoma for funeral and back and all would be ok. Once I returned they would replace the correct o2 sensor.
When I returned from OK, went immediately to Sewell and they informed me it would be an additional 1800 to replace O2 sensor. I told them I already paid and they replaced the wrong one from what repair representative said. The went to get the original guy that I worked with before, he THEN said that they hadn't replaced the wrong one but there was this additional one now needing replacing! BS the little computer decoder they hook car up to will say which one and how many of o2 need replacing......
Long story short- went additional year with engine light on until needed car inspected, went to MY GARAGE on Old Benbrook Road (817-738-0045), had TWO o2 sensor replaced and car inspected and the total cost was (are you ready for this?.....$780.00!!!!!
Car has run great ever since!!!!
I will NEVER use Sewell or any other dealership again for maintenance ! THEY all charge twice as much and the mere fact they were going to charge me again for an additional o2 sensor they should have originally put on, was more than I could take!! Especially since knew I was going to my father funeral upon leaving dealership and didn't offer to fix mistake before leaving or a rental or anything!!!
Old 07-02-10, 01:59 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Unfortunately, your experience is becoming more and more common. Not just at Lexus. I had a similar experience a few years back and ended up throwing a fit in until they fixed the problem without any further charges (turned out to be a $200 throttle position sensor prior to which I'd paid nearly $1000 in unnecessary repairs).

To the OP - $1500 is outrageous. Tyipcal dealership charges fpr this are around $900 to $1000. Are you sure they weren't going to do anything else (idlers, cam seals, etc)?
Old 07-03-10, 07:08 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Unfortunately, your experience is becoming more and more common. Not just at Lexus. I had a similar experience a few years back and ended up throwing a fit in until they fixed the problem without any further charges (turned out to be a $200 throttle position sensor prior to which I'd paid nearly $1000 in unnecessary repairs).

To the OP - $1500 is outrageous. Tyipcal dealership charges fpr this are around $900 to $1000. Are you sure they weren't going to do anything else (idlers, cam seals, etc)?
I asked for a price quote on just the timing belt, drive belts, and water pump. I went to Pratt Automotive, they are really nice, they work primarily on Lexus' and had my car back to me on time for the less than the price quoted!

Timing belt
Timing Belt idler bearing
Some random bearing that went with the timing belt change
Water pump
Pink coolant
Camshaft seal
Crankshaft seal
Coolant drain seal
AC-alt drive belt
P/S drive belt

$848.92