RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

'99 rx 300 sun visors

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 08:16 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

C'mon, it's just a visor. Don't you think a trim shop could repair the mechanism for less than 700 bucks?
Old 01-05-11, 08:26 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver
C'mon, it's just a visor. Don't you think a trim shop could repair the mechanism for less than 700 bucks?
Another member replaced his visors and took apart his originals. He stated that they way they were constructed makes them impossible to repair.....furthermore, they don't just "open up"....to get to the internals, you have to destroy the visor itself.
Old 01-05-11, 10:22 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by defo
Another member replaced his visors and took apart his originals. He stated that they way they were constructed makes them impossible to repair.....furthermore, they don't just "open up"....to get to the internals, you have to destroy the visor itself.

I think I might have more faith in a professional trim shop than "another member" who took his apart and pronounced them destroyed.
Old 01-05-11, 11:22 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

The most cost effective solution is to keep checking for a salvaged visor, which keep popping up on ebay.

When I cut mine up, these were the two problem areas ..

1) Repairing the skin to close it up.
2) Foam insert. (the center rod is not round, it has flat surfaces that help hold the visor at certain angle (one being the stowaway position)

Salim
Old 01-07-11, 11:53 AM
C-Stone
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C-Stone
I am trying this:

I purchased some Hillman plastic Push Fasteners from Lowes. I cut Velcro in a circle and stuck it to the top of the fasteners. Then, I drilled a 5/32 hole in the visor where I could see it would come closest to the headliner. Then, pushed the fastener into the hole. I then stuck the remaining fastener (inverted) on the installed fastener and pushed the visor up to mark the hole for the headliner. Then, drilled the headliner 5/32 hole at the mark and pushed the fastener up into it.

Both fasteners work perfectly and are stuck securely in their holes. The high quality Velcro seems to hold. We'll see how it works over time. Will report back.
After a week... the visor stays in place nicely. I am not in the least concerned about the fasteners coming out of their holes. There is a cardboard like material that is beneath the headliner fabric as well as the visor fabric that they are stuck securely into. Also, the velcro is surprisingly a strong hold. Doesn't budge over bumps, curbs, mountains, or road kill.

I guess one could use beige velcro to hide the fasteners, but when the visor is stored, you don't see them at all.

Cost: Velcro: $6.49, Fasteners: $.80 plus tax.
Old 01-07-11, 03:28 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
The most cost effective solution is to keep checking for a salvaged visor, which keep popping up on ebay.

When I cut mine up, these were the two problem areas ..

1) Repairing the skin to close it up.
2) Foam insert. (the center rod is not round, it has flat surfaces that help hold the visor at certain angle (one being the stowaway position)

Salim
Agreed, a used one is the best solution. Since you've seen the inner workings what would be the possibility of removing the Homelink electronics and mounting them elsewhere?
Old 01-07-11, 04:04 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Agreed, a used one is the best solution. Since you've seen the inner workings what would be the possibility of removing the Homelink electronics and mounting them elsewhere?
I did that. The only issue is finding 12v source. I found a holder for 8 1.5v batteries and wrapped the whole setup in the visor skin. It turned out to be rickety setup and few days later found out the batteries had run out .. the whole thing was resting on the buttons. So I do have a learning home link remote in a box some where.

Moral: You can do lot of stuff, but when it comes to finished product, the factories have an edge.

Salim
Old 01-07-11, 05:47 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I tried that - you literally have to cut away the foam "body" of the visor from the transmitter to get it out. There's literally nothing left of the visor when you're finished!
Old 01-09-11, 11:14 PM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...and-visor.html

I just found this thread with a fix.
Old 07-21-11, 10:07 AM
DennisS
Driver School Candidate

Default sun visor

I just switched the visors. Works great. Now garage door opener is on the passenger side and I can't use the mirrors, but, it was free and it worked. Still have the same problem, but now it's on the passenger side and doesn't seem to be as bad.
Old 07-22-11, 01:07 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Australian
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...and-visor.html

I just found this thread with a fix.
Great find!
Old 09-07-11, 12:26 PM
Xtom73G
Driver

I already posted this solution on a different thread. As a meteorite nut, I always have rare earth super magnets. I simply stuck one on the visor, problem solved. Pricey, around 30 bucks at mining or prospecting stores. Don't get 2 of these magents near each other. If they come together, you may never get them apart. Avoid any computer or magnetic sensitive items.