Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 2JZ-GTE swap Ethan or Cory.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-03, 01:12 AM
30PSI
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 2JZ-GTE swap Ethan or Cory.

Hey guys, I don't know if you remember me, but I've talked to both of you last year when I had problem with SP and my turbo kit...I was the guy with SP66 Supra from Little Rock, AR anyways I've quite a few questions for you guys about this swap, I've been looking to buy a used-raped SC300 to do this swap I want to know if it needs to be 5spd? How strong are these 5spd trannies on SC300's? I wouldn't expect them to be as good as the Getrag 6spd but will they hold up close to 600ish RWHP? Is 2JZ-GTE conversion the only way to make HP? I've heard of quite a few of NA-T SC300's which cost much cheaper than the swap, how good is the bottom end on 2JZ-GE? Say to achieve 600ish RWHP can this be done with just an NA-T? How many PSI can you push on stock 2JZ-GE say you have a fuel system upgrade and all the goodies? Do I need a new subframe for this swap or the engine will bolt right up? I found $10,500 for the engine swap from PHR is a bit too pricey, do you guys know of any other reputation shop to do this swap that you would recommend? I'm trying to get this project done asap please e-mail me at BoostaholicT66@yahoo.com or post back here. Any links that has faq/info on this swap would be nice.

Appreciated any helps

Bordin T.

Old 05-26-03, 11:34 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both Ethan and Cory are using a GE setup, not a GTE...
Stock GTE short block is good to 800+ rwhp if tuned correctly, stock GE short block is good to around 600 rwhp, stock GE VVT-i short block is good to 500+ rwhp. The 5spd is good to 400+ rwhp, depending on how you drive it, it'll be a timebomb as you get near 450 rwhp unless you baby it. You do not need a new subframe for the swap.
Old 05-26-03, 03:00 PM
T51R
Pole Position

john is right!!!!

mine is 2jzgte swapped..

john I am trying to get everything test it on my car and I will run my first shake down run at MIR or englishtown NJ.. if we deciede to go NJ u shuold come... might make 15s run or maybe in 8s?
heheh

but I wil let you know.. call me sometime
Old 05-26-03, 05:54 PM
30PSI
Rookie

Default ...

So I'll be fine with the 5spd tranny if I just do the engine swap and run around 18PSI on stock twins? That should be around ~380 RWHP. Any reputation shop you guys would recommend? I need to get this done asap thanks for the helps.

Bordin T.
Old 05-26-03, 08:17 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not convinced that the GE bottom end is limited to 600rwhp. There are too few people that have approached this hp level. I for one don't intend to replace the bottom until its either worn out or fails.
Its not like we have x number of people with rod failures at the 600rwhp level.
Old 05-26-03, 08:21 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SC300T
I'm not convinced that the GE bottom end is limited to 600rwhp. There are too few people that have approached this hp level. I for one don't intend to replace the bottom until its either worn out or fails.
Its not like we have x number of people with rod failures at the 600rwhp level.
100% agreed in every way.

And for the tranny ... I plan on putting it to the test as well. It is holding my daily 450rwhp driving VERY well.
Old 05-26-03, 08:43 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

So I'll be fine with the 5spd tranny if I just do the engine swap and run around 18PSI on stock twins? That should be around ~380 RWHP
You might be happy with the tranny at that HP level under certain conditions: no slicks, no abuse, lift throttle shifts, etc. In essence, at 380rwhp it can last but not if you beat it. What is worse is that at that HP level you'll need a carbon or bronze puck style clutch disc. Unfortunately, the clutch is small, so anything in that hp level on a single disc is gonna be chattery and an on/off thing -not ideal for the street. The 6spd clutch is larger and a single disc could be much tamer and still hold 380rwhp. What us 5spd guys really need is an organic twin disc with a fixed floater plate and stock pressure plate. I keep meaning to call Tilton and see what a custom twin disc setup would run for this car. A 700lb/ft rating wouldn't be a stretch on an aggressive organic twin disc. Clutchmasters makes a double diaphragm plate for the 5spd, but IMHO that is the wrong approach. What we need is more frictional area, not more clamping force.
Old 05-26-03, 10:36 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by T51R
john is right!!!!

mine is 2jzgte swapped..

john I am trying to get everything test it on my car and I will run my first shake down run at MIR or englishtown NJ.. if we deciede to go NJ u shuold come... might make 15s run or maybe in 8s?
heheh

but I wil let you know.. call me sometime

If you run @ E-town i'll do my best to come through, like I always say, long as you keep it STRAIGHT, it'll run the EIGHT, brother.
- Jon