Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Which form of Boost?
NA-T (BoostLogic, Toyomoto, etc.)
18.75%
2JZ-GTE w/ V160 (USDM or JDM)
43.75%
1JZ-GTE w/ 5spd
37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Which Forced Induction to Go With

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-05, 12:12 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Forced Induction to Go With

With the 3 choices of induction I don't know which one to choose. I'm trying to get the car done before Sept. because I'll possibly be showing in the Teckademics booth. I need you guys to decide for me. Factor in some things like money isn't and issue, I'll be doing the work myself, and the car is daily driven( I don't need a motor that may break something and have to wait months for a new part(1JZ)). So what do you guys think?

1) NA-T (BoostLogic, Toyomoto, etc)
2) 2JZ-GTE w/ V160 (USDM or JDM)
3) 1JZ-GTE (5spd)
Old 04-21-05, 01:02 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to make the title more descriptive: "Which is best when money is not an issue"

Which in that case, I dont know why you're asking this question...
if money is not an issue, 2jz-gte is the way to go... if you're in an american show and looking for a little bit of orignality... a nice single turbokit on a 1jz setup would be nice as well...
i wouldnt even consider the NA-T, since the only reason to use that is to save money vs a 2jz-gte swap
Old 04-21-05, 01:35 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bean
if money is not an issue, 2jz-gte is the way to go...
as well as time......... If you have around 8-10k to drop into your car for a stock 2jz-gte, go for it

If not, 1jz all the way
Old 04-21-05, 09:19 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bean
i wouldnt even consider the NA-T, since the only reason to use that is to save money vs a 2jz-gte swap
NA-T is good as long as you do it right. Honestly, I think too many people cut it out of the picture too soon. All the resources of the engine are there to work with and a simple turbo setup will help show the stock engine's potential. If done right and simple, it is a better bang for the buck all the way around and almost equivalent to the GTE. There are many examples of this such as PM_Supra's Sc300, DaveH, angel, and I will add to them with my future setup.

Last edited by CP_Ree; 04-21-05 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-21-05, 09:19 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Originally Posted by SinisterSC
With the 3 choices of induction I don't know which one to choose. I'm trying to get the car done before Sept. because I'll possibly be showing in the Teckademics booth. I need you guys to decide for me. Factor in some things like money isn't and issue, I'll be doing the work myself, and the car is daily driven( I don't need a motor that may break something and have to wait months for a new part(1JZ)). So what do you guys think?

1) NA-T (BoostLogic, Toyomoto, etc)
2) 2JZ-GTE w/ V160 (USDM or JDM)
3) 1JZ-GTE (5spd)
Well, I (and others) would probably need to know a little more information on the said SC in order to help you out thoroughly. Year of the car, mileage on the drivetrain itself, tranny, the stock motor's condition and some other facts would be useful. Not knowing exact details of your car, I would go with option 3. Let us know what you decide, I'm looking forward to hearing what you decide.

I will be getting an SC300 soon, so I'm interested as to what others may say in this thread as well. Good luck!

--
Old 04-21-05, 10:07 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by guessd
NA-T is good as long as you do it right. Honestly, I think too many people cut it out of the picture too soon. All the resources of the engine are there to work with and a simple turbo setup will help show the stock engine's potential. If done right and simple, it is a better bang for the buck all the way around and almost equivalent to the GTE. There are many examples of this such as PM_Supra's Sc300, DaveH, angel, and I will add to them with my future setup.
Don't get me wrong at all The NA-T route is pretty awesome... its incredible that there's so many options for this car... one of the reasons I like it so much. So many ways to go fast.

But the GTE has a few nice advantages over the GE (coil packs, MAF vs Karman, big fuel stock, bigger aftermarket, intake mani setup, etc)...
the NA-T route is the way to go if you dont have the cash nor the time to drop in a 2jz-gte OR if you want to run a car with a higher compression like the GE and a turbo (since there are several advantages of that setup)
Old 04-22-05, 01:04 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Hmmmm, little things I forgot. My bad. It's a 1993 5spd, 135,xxx miles on the clock. I bought from some old lady who had purchased it for her husband. He passed away but before he did I think he liked the drive. No accidents. Motor is in decent condition. Oil was changed on the reg. No major abuse. When I got the car, I did a complete tear down of mechanical parts. Diff's in good condition(probably not any more after some drifting), Trans in good condition, I replaced the clutch and flywheel cause I felt like it and I was bored. Other than that the car is in excellent condition, but it's time to start a new life.
Old 04-22-05, 11:29 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

am i the only one who doesn't see why the GTE swap costs so much more than NA/T? i would say the GTE swap would be cheaper than the NA-T route. anyone care to explain why the swap is said to be so much more?
Old 04-23-05, 12:55 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

2jz!!!! more potenial and better! if you pbe patient enough, you will come across one with good deal!