Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Reliability and costs for 2JZGTE

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-11, 08:00 PM
AZBMW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Reliability and costs for 2JZGTE

So as of you know I am trading my 540i for a SC300 with a 2JZ-GTE that was swapped in by a professional shop (receipt and vin) recently. I know that these motors are made strong as hell, specially when the block is cast iron where as BMWs are aluminum alloy (weak). I suspect that the Automatic Trans will go out eventually which is ok since I'll have a 5-Speed swap ready when it does.

Other than that.. how do you owners with the 2JZ swap do on maintenance and problems? I mean the motor is at 53K miles and by all means wont have an issue fixing whatever comes up. Its 416rwhp.. And as for me, I take of my cars. I mean when I know Im leaving I'll start the car to warm up before driving. I mean I'm very maintenance/preventative maintenance savy. So thats the question:
Old 12-13-11, 08:11 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

It's as reliable as the last guy left it...

If he maintained it properly, it should be solid. Is he claiming 416rwhp on the stock twins? If that on the stock twins (especially the weaker JDM twins), the turbos won't last that long because he is running a very high PSI.
Old 12-13-11, 08:18 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My only advice is to check your oil and coolant levels frequently.
Old 12-14-11, 01:24 AM
AZBMW
Driver School Candidate

No he just put in a single turbo Garrett T67. Also he put in a new waterpump and pulley. Its got 53k miles on it. Also all aluminum radiator (in BMW world, thats so desired!) new hoses and other maintenance stuff. Warranty on lots of the parts. 100 miles on the new turbo as well
Old 12-14-11, 08:15 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I would be more worried about the driveability of the car than the engine lasting. 2jz are solid engines, even if you beat the hell out of them.

I'd be more worried about what type of engine management he is running with that single turbo. Too many SCs get the swap done and go big single right away but they sell them right after the build because their car drives like ****. Any time you go single, you need a good stand alone and a proper tune by someone who knows what they are doing, like Pro-efi, but that is hella big bucks!
Old 12-14-11, 06:57 PM
AZBMW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I would be more worried about the driveability of the car than the engine lasting. 2jz are solid engines, even if you beat the hell out of them.

I'd be more worried about what type of engine management he is running with that single turbo. Too many SCs get the swap done and go big single right away but they sell them right after the build because their car drives like ****. Any time you go single, you need a good stand alone and a proper tune by someone who knows what they are doing, like Pro-efi, but that is hella big bucks!
He has an AEM FI/C on it. But I think he wants to take that off. He said it runs just as good on the stock ECU than without it. What am I looking at buying?
Old 12-14-11, 08:28 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AZBMW
He has an AEM FI/C on it. But I think he wants to take that off. He said it runs just as good on the stock ECU than without it. What am I looking at buying?
LOL... you know it sucks then, because there is no way in hell it is running "good" with a T67 on a stock ECU. I am not going to tell you not to buy it, but definitely be prepared to go stand alone in the future if you want this car driving properly. Do some research. Many people think AEM is a waste of money when compared to ProEFI. Supraforums is a good place to research anything 2JZGTE related.
Old 12-14-11, 09:42 PM
AZBMW
Driver School Candidate

LOL... you know it sucks then, because there is no way in hell it is running "good" with a T67 on a stock ECU. I am not going to tell you not to buy it, but definitely be prepared to go stand alone in the future if you want this car driving properly. Do some research. Many people think AEM is a waste of money when compared to ProEFI. Supraforums is a good place to research anything 2JZGTE related.
Well, he has the AEM FI/C on the new Garrett T67 (100 miles on it) and removing it and giving it to me with stock ECU. I have no problem buying what it needs. Its a single turbo on a 92 SC300 if that helps since its OBD1 and good thing that ProEFI is located in my state! Sweet, I can stop by than
Old 12-14-11, 09:48 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Well, he has the AEM FI/C on the new Garrett T67 (100 miles on it) and removing it and giving it to me with stock ECU. I have no problem buying what it needs. Its a single turbo on a 92 SC300 if that helps since its OBD1 and good thing that ProEFI is located in my state! Sweet, I can stop by than
Just don't faint when you find out how much it costs and how much it costs to get a tune with it.
Old 12-14-11, 11:45 PM
AZBMW
Driver School Candidate

Just don't faint when you find out how much it costs and how much it costs to get a tune with it.
I have a friend who tunes JDMs all the time. He quick quoted me at $ 350.00.... I don't need anything do it? He can tune the stock ECU right? Or do I need something like the AEM FI/C he had?
Old 12-15-11, 08:45 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I have a friend who tunes JDMs all the time. He quick quoted me at $ 350.00.... I don't need anything do it? He can tune the stock ECU right? Or do I need something like the AEM FI/C he had?
Go look up the prices of ProEFI for your application. I am pretty sure the carton "box" it comes in costs more than $350 haha.
Old 12-15-11, 10:32 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its USDM ecu and fuel, a T67 would run fine on it up to and beyond 416whp. JDM fuel not so much. If it is USDM fuel and you are happy with less than 500whp, I would remove the FIC and let it ride.

Last edited by stockhatch; 12-15-11 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-15-11, 03:01 PM
AZBMW
Driver School Candidate

He says JDM with USDM injectors.
Old 12-15-11, 09:10 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

You need a standalone, fuel system upgrade, boost controller, hks dli and a professional tune. Without those vital components the car will not last long.
Old 12-16-11, 08:30 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Meh, you could run the 550s on a JDM ecu. It's not ideal, but it will work. You could also go cheap and get a map ecu 2 or 3 and tweak the fuel without the timing problems associated with a SAFC. Or you can go all out and get a standalone as mentioned above and pay for a good tune. There are a few different routes, and they vary widely in cost. The question, as always with hot rods, is how fast do you want to spend?

Quick Reply: Reliability and costs for 2JZGTE