Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Frustrated with Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-04, 05:32 AM
1ton
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated with Service

I brought my car in to the local Lexus dealership on Jan 3 (Saturday) to fix my door rattle and replace some weather strips and replace the rear headrests b/c of leather tear. They said my car would not be ready until Monday because they had to order parts. Well, Monday came and they asked if they could have it for another day because they are waiting on parts. Then they pushed it to Friday then they pushed it to Monday, then Tuesday, and finally got my car on Wednesday, Jan 14. Yes that is 11 days later. To top it off I asked them NOT to wash my car and they did.

I complained to the service manager and he apologized. Do you guys think that is enough? I just have no confidence when dropping off my car when it will be done. I told the manager I was upset because they should have analyzed what I needed done and how long they project to get the parts and should have told me upfront if it was going to take over a week. That did not happen. Also, communication was poor.

Should I just let it go because I have my car now? Thoughts....
Old 01-16-04, 06:08 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

I'd roll with that punch the first time.

I have had one Lexus or another for over 10 years and have been impressed with the effort made at customer service. It is second to none, but problems happen. I've had no real problems like that, but the average Lexus is not in for repairs all that often.

As for the wash, that happens all the time. The kids that do the washing are not really in the loop regarding the service. I have found that saying "no wash" when checking in only works about half the time, and usually only for short stays. I think the wash guys are instructed to wash everything that moves, and they just don't get the message. I have a little card I now keep in my glove box that says "Don't Wash This Car Today. Thanks." and I tape it to the dash when I drop the car off. That has solved the wash problem.

The wash was because they were trying too hard, which is not a bad problem to have.
Old 01-16-04, 06:26 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did they give you to drive while they had your beautiful car?

It sounds to me as if they were initiating the communications and that's good. I know from past experience that parts that rarely need replacing and that need to be provided in a specific color sometimes take a week or two to get located, shipped and delivered.

If they gave you something decent to drive and didn't stop calling you with updates, I'd have a little heart-to-heart with the Service Manager and let it go at that. Yes, the washing thing happens and the only way to prevent it is the sign approach (above) and delivering it to the dealer clean.

Yes, if they treated you well otherwise, I think the apology is enough.

George
Old 01-16-04, 10:29 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

I would write a clear, concise and overly polite letter to the dealership (cc'ing your service advisor, manager, and sales manager).

I think that most Lexus dealers are committed to giving you the best service they possibly can. However, they can't fix what they don't know is broken. Moreover, whether they gave you a loaner car or not, that kind of delay should be embarressing.

Treat the employees cordially and with respect and I'd be surprised if your service isn't dramatically better the next time. I'd also be surprised if the next service isn't either comp'd or cheaper for you.
Old 01-16-04, 07:56 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in a few days you will probably get a phone call from the survey service Lexus uses to rate their dealerships. Politely discuss your displeasure of your experience. Ask the survey service to make sure the dealership customer service representative gets back to you to discuss the incident. When asked to rate the service, be honest, if you can't rate them a 5, then don't. Lexus does not like not getting 5's.

Also keep in mind, that your were provided with a loaner (were you not?) so you were not stranded. If this were GM or Ford, or even Toyota, you probably would not have gotten a loaner vehicle.

I am sure they did the best they could given the parts that had to be ordered. I am sure that the wash was an oversite and not deliberate given the wash was 11 days after the request not to wash was made. I like the sign idea, I must employ that next time I go to the dealer.

I think the bottom line question that has to be asked is: Is the car repaired to your satisfaction? The time it took to achieve that repair is a different question. Discuss this with the customer service rep and see if you can't politely parlee this into a discount on your next scheduled service. Letters to the general manager are an excellent method of feedback. Dealerships need this so that they may improve service.
A polite letter is heard alot further than a loud screaming letter. I found that out when I first got my car.
I was able to get all four keys (2 master, 1 valet, and one wallet with chip) I got a $100 off my next service and now the dealership knows me when I come in, so I get preferential service.

good luck.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 01-16-04 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-17-04, 08:51 PM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Whenever I take my car up to Lexus of San Antonio, I get nothing but excellent same day service. They always have the parts in stock and they will even get the job done even if I come in the afternoon. Not once do I ever remember having to fill out any quality survey form. I never even got one sent to my U.S. address. However, plenty of other Lexus friends came other dealerships shove it right in their face.
Old 01-19-04, 02:12 PM
Traturn
Driver

Saturdays in the auto indusrty (even lexus) are classicly for basic services, and emergencies. Low staffing for parts & service departments generally. Scheduling a rattle & interior repair on a weekend was not a good idea by their service dept. (or whoever schedules appointments).

Many lexus dealerships receive parts deliveries on Tuesday thru Saturday. I dont know if that holds true with your specific dealer, but i know thats the case at mine. Advisors classically overlook the fact that no parts are received Mondays. After months of day in day out parts & service operations, advisors are so used to getting 98% of their parts next day, they can boot it and say, 'We'll have that monday' even tho the parts dept. does not recieve parts monday at all.

Secondly, many coupe parts are not available at all Lexus parts depots. The SC has such a low number of vehicles burning gas compared to the other models. That means that the depots wont stock every coupe part for next-day availability. I'd guess that the weatherstripping they ordered was 'locally available' at the dealers facing PDC and arrived Tuesday.

and replace some weather strips and replace the rear headrests b/c of leather tear.
Normally, the stock on leather pieces is quite low in the states. Even lower stock are individual seat pieces such as armrests & headrests. I'd guess your rear headrest came over from Japan, and this is what took so long... usualy takes about a week. Your car came in Saturday, Tech looks at it, orders parts... Advisor talks to you and says Monday. Parts dept puts the order in Monday; weatherstripping shows up tuesday, while the headrest gets put on the slow boat from Japan(Jan6-13).

Sounds like the parts department & service department need some better communicating, along with their advisors communicating with their customer. If you knew it was going to take over a week to get the headrest you surely could have been driving your car during that time.

Before you 'slam' the service dept. on a survey, keep one thing in mind. They (service dept) has no control over parts availability (neither does the parts dept.). If Toyota doesnt think its necessary to stock a Rear saddle headrest in the states, thats their decision +)

They definately do have control over what they tell their customers however. The advisor should have known the availability of the parts before telling you when you could have your car back, period.

just my .02

PS: I can hear the service manager bellowing thru the parts department, 'Wheres that damn headrest' from here!
Old 01-19-04, 07:58 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

sounds like we got a company man (Traturn) amongst us. His words do make sense, though.

steviej
Old 01-20-04, 04:57 AM
1ton
Driver

Thanks for everyone's comments.

A lady at the dealer called me to see how everything was with my service. I was honest with her and said I was a bit frustrated and explained my situation. I told her that I do not have confidence when dropping my car off for repairs. I told her that I just wanted the service advisor to keep me in the loop. I would like for them to call me if it is not done on the day they said it would be done. Instead I had to call them at the end of the work day and have them tell me that it was not done. Also, I had to leave multiple messages before anyone calling me back on other days. I alos mentioned how long it took. She told me she did not know why it took so long because they got the part in on time...I thought that was funny because that was their excuse all along.

So guess what they offered me? A complementary executive detail on my car. I said thanks for the offer but turned it down.

I guess I just do not have confidence when dropping my car off. I do hope the service will get better.
Old 01-20-04, 05:16 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Wow, that exec detail is probably a $300 item at most Lexus dealers. Why did you turn it down?

George
Old 01-20-04, 06:19 AM
1ton
Driver

I have a black car and scratches shows up very well. I prefer to do myself to avoid any scratching.
Old 01-20-04, 06:32 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Ok, that's a very good reason. I had the exec detail done once (on a red car) and was very satisfied. The man who did it was a Lexus Certified Detailer and was an artist with a buffer. The finish was like glass when he finished. I was very satisfied with that part. I was not happy with the "black glunk" they sprayed around inside my wheel wheels or the tire dressing they used but now I know what to tell them not to do!

Well anyway, that was certainly a nice offer. I wish your dealer was a little more north, I might buy a car from them.

George
Old 01-20-04, 08:36 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

I would have taken the detailing offer.

steviej
Old 01-20-04, 10:01 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

If at all possible, I discuss the repair with the advisor and have him check for parts availability. Based on what he tells me, I'll schedule a service appointment. This has saved me from extended service delays on many occassions. The Exec detail was a nice gesture and to shows their desire to satisfy you. I would have asked for some other option in place of the detail since it was not a consideration for you.

Aside from the delay, was the repair performed to your satisfaction?
Old 01-20-04, 10:13 AM
1ton
Driver

For the most part yes, however this is the second time I brought my car in for the same reasons. The weather strips sticks out but they say that is how it is on new ones, but it was not that way before. That is just something minor though.

They gave me an oil change for next time instead of the detail. That works better for me.