LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Quick question about airbags

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 03:33 AM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick question about airbags

I've been doing some extensive searching about bags and I got pretty much most of my answers. But I couldn't find an answer about one thing I was curious about. Lets say you're running normal aftermarket airbag system (not VIP cups), what do you do when the car is off for period of time? Do you keep the air in the bags or does it automatically deflate? Just curious to how it would be every time I would turn off the car.
Old 03-17-13, 03:39 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

you should be deflating the bags when you are parked (why wouldn't you, it looks good to park slammed and less stress on the bags)
Old 03-17-13, 05:58 AM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

The air in the bags will still be in the bags when you turn off the car unless you manually air it out yourself.
Old 03-17-13, 12:47 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by datplayaz
The air in the bags will still be in the bags when you turn off the car unless you manually air it out yourself.
Would that be bad for the airbags? I'm just worried it would be putting unnecessary stress on the bags.
Old 03-17-13, 04:09 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Another question I couldn't find an answer was, when people got the system installed in the spare tire compartment, how did they fix the spare tire TPMS error from going off in the dash?
Old 03-17-13, 07:48 PM
lei_z_ass
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Would that be bad for the airbags? I'm just worried it would be putting unnecessary stress on the bags.
If the car is going to be parked for a long time than it is suggested to air it out. Also if you live in cold conditions it is wise to air it out. Ive heard some stories where the moisture in the system froze up and rendered the car useless until thawed out

Another question I couldn't find an answer was, when people got the system installed in the spare tire compartment, how did they fix the spare tire TPMS error from going off in the dash?
I made a little TPMS canister out of pvc with a valve that i could fill with pressure to keep the error from popping up on my dash. Very easy to make and cost less than $15.
Old 03-17-13, 08:05 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lei_z_ass
If the car is going to be parked for a long time than it is suggested to air it out. Also if you live in cold conditions it is wise to air it out. Ive heard some stories where the moisture in the system froze up and rendered the car useless until thawed out

I made a little TPMS canister out of pvc with a valve that i could fill with pressure to keep the error from popping up on my dash. Very easy to make and cost less than $15.
Awesome. Thanks for the info! Might have to bother you in the future for instruction on how you made that.

Last edited by Grouchy; 03-17-13 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-17-13, 11:41 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been doing some extensive searching about bags and I got pretty much most of my answers. But I couldn't find an answer about one thing I was curious about. Lets say you're running normal aftermarket airbag system (not VIP cups), what do you do when the car is off for period of time? Do you keep the air in the bags or does it automatically deflate? Just curious to how it would be every time I would turn off the car.
What do you consider "a period of time?" like overnight, a few hours at the mall, a week?
Old 03-18-13, 08:07 AM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Yeah just over night or whenever I get out of the car. I would imagine it being a little tedious if I would have to air it out all the time.
Old 03-18-13, 08:21 AM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah just over night or whenever I get out of the car. I would imagine it being a little tedious if I would have to air it out all the time.
You don't have to air out completely if you are not parking the car for a few days.
Old 03-18-13, 01:04 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Thanks for that info. The reason why I don't want to keep airing it out is because I'm afraid I'll air it out on top of the parking bumper. So I plan on keeping the car high most of the time. Esp here in Los Angeles where its pothole capitol of CA probably.
Old 03-18-13, 01:27 PM
mikectm2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was gonna buy a LS from one of the LA stores. ...but a lot potholes. might have to re-think that strategy.
Old 03-18-13, 02:34 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikectm2
Was gonna buy a LS from one of the LA stores. ...but a lot potholes. might have to re-think that strategy.
Potholes with a stock LS is not an issue. But I plan on getting some rims and want to lower it sometime in the future. Having a low LS on 22's is prob not the best idea for LA driving. I've had a few friends break/bend their rims and even pop their low pro tires from LA potholes.
Old 03-18-13, 03:04 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Potholes with a stock LS is not an issue. But I plan on getting some rims and want to lower it sometime in the future. Having a low LS on 22's is prob not the best idea for LA driving. I've had a few friends break/bend their rims and even pop their low pro tires from LA potholes.
That's the name of the game! It's like weightlifting and expecting never to hurt yourself or building a drag car and expecting nothing to blow.
Old 03-18-13, 06:29 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
That's the name of the game! It's like weightlifting and expecting never to hurt yourself or building a drag car and expecting nothing to blow.
That's why I want to get bags. So at least if I do run into a huge pothole, the only damage will be to my rim(s)....hopefully.