LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lost my only smart key.......need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 09:15 AM
eggtart
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lost my only smart key.......need some advice

I bought my 05 used with only 1 smart key (no valet key either). I have since lost the smart key

Dealer wants $300 for a new key and programming...which I would pay, BUT they say I have to get the car towed in. They need to plug it into their computer system for programming.

Problem is the car is in my garage and I have limited space in the driveway. A flatbed came the other day but said he did not have the room to get the car out.

I am wondering if I buy this entire ignition cylinder and key from ebay can I simply swap it out and start the car?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-05-06-LEX...ZTYuH5&vxp=mtr

I am thinking the electronics inside the ignition cylinder is what talks to the key.....

thanks!
Old 06-29-16, 10:48 AM
legend921
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that the cylinder key swap will work. The rolling code needs from the key needs to match with the ECU itself to activate all the electronics for your car to start. What you could do is buy a blank and slide it into your gear shifter to see if you're able to put the car into neutral and roll it out so that you can give your car more room for it to be towed. Typically a tow bed should have some wheel dollies to help you maneuver your vehicle out as well.
Old 06-29-16, 10:52 AM
legend921
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

However, I could be wrong as well. The Smart Key system could work differently than some other vehicles. Someone could always chime in to help you out. Hopefully you get your car back and running on the road!
Old 06-29-16, 12:16 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

The smart ignition function operates as follows:
1) When the driver has a smart key and presses the engine switch, the steering lock ECU checks the ID code for the steering lock/engine immobilizer, and outputs a request signal to the theft deterrent ECU.
2) The theft deterrent ECU detects presence of the smart key in the cabin by the front and rear room oscillators in order to check its ID code
3) The ID code checking is completed and the smart indicator light illuminates, and turns OFF the security indicator light. At this time, the steering lock ECU releases the steering lock and cancels the engine immobilizer.
4) The engine switch is turned to the ACC position, the theft deterrent ECU turns OFF the smart indicator light.

If you have a picture of your mechanical key, you could take it to a locksmith to get a matching pattern cut, and this might allow you to disable the steering lock and shift out of Park to roll it out of the garage, but for sure the engine will be impossible to start.

The proper procedure for a lost master key is to reset the transponder ECU, which deletes the registered master key in the system and erases all previously-registered keys. To do this reset, you need a new master key, Techstream, and a way to obtain the one-time-use passcode from the seed number (normally requires ETAS workstation connected to TCI online).

1) Retrieve a Seed Number using Techsteam - Option 1) OBD/MOBD, then Option 7) IMMOBILIZER, then Option 5) ID UTILITY, then Option 9) TRANSP CODE RESET, open the driver door and press ENTER, press YES, and then you will see the seed number. This is a unique number provided generated by that specific Techstream instance.
2) Decode the passcode associated with that Seed Number using ETAS Immobilizer Reset or equivalent. Note the passcode is one-time-use.
3) Enter the passcode in Techstream, press ENTER to clear all registered transponder codes except the Master key in the ignition. Wait 16 minutes for the rest to finish, then remove the master key when prompted. To register additional keys, simply insert and remove without turning the ignition. You can program up to 3 master keys and 1 sub key (sub keys do not have a trunk button). You can program more than 4 keys using the Transponder Code Registration menu. To exit automatic registration, insert a master key and cycle the ignition 5 times within 10 seconds.
4) Confirm successful immobiliser reset and key registrations by starting the car with each key.
Old 06-29-16, 06:59 PM
eggtart
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info guys.

I shoved a flat head into the gear select release hole and was able to shift to neutral . So I'll get some friends together and push the car out while slowly turning the steering wheel just a bit at a time so that it doesn't lock on me.
Old 07-02-16, 07:24 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Stan you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge and or photographic memory. we all benefit from your efforts to help others!!!