LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Watch your surroundings -

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-11, 12:09 AM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I was threatened with when I was robbed actually...machetes,three of them.

I won't get into the transmission oil thing again,firearms and concealed carry are far safer subjects... ;-)

The decision to carry a firearm is an extremely serious one,and is one that alters your lifestyle forever.
Some places in the US allow concealed carry,some allow home defense,some allow you to carry in your car,but not on your person,some allow you to carry,but only openly,not concealed.
If any of you in the US are considering going armed,I would suggest you go to a local range and get some instruction as a minimum,and ideally,attend a course with either Magpul dynamics,at Thunder ranch, or at Gunsite.

I don't have the option to carry anything in my country,My only legal option is to flee,then call police and report what happened afterwards.
If I was allowed to carry,I would.
I'd love to be allowed to carry a loaded firearm at work,and not just sell them and train people to use them. The hours I work,and the area my workplace is in,put my colleagues and myself in genuine danger.
We are allowed an unarmed security guard on-site,and have back to base monitoring and cctv. The police are 5 minutes away at the press of a button,but a LOT can happen in 5 minutes. Realistically,we're on our own.
Our only option is to keep the place locked,with monitored entry,but that doesn't help when we're opening up and leaving at night...

There's been a bit of talk about tighter gun control here,in the wake of several gang-related shootings in the last couple of months. Thankfully,the government is being realistic this time around,and has stated that toughening the already quite strict rules on legal ownership won't make a difference to driveby shootings.

Be thankful that you have the option guys. Not all of us do.

Justin...
Old 02-19-11, 12:47 AM
jac430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the Netherlands no guns are allowed.
Both possession and carrying is highly illegal.
Most kind of flick-knives and so on are also forbidden.

I feel that it contributed to having a safer place to live, but with the increasing robberies and crime, you certainly could have a disadvantage when you meet an armed robber.
On the other hand, he expects that you are not armed, and hopefully will act accordingly. Then you make a chance to get out traumatized but alive.

Most people don't open the doors anymore at night and a lot of the newer cars over here lock the doors automatically once you are driving.
I don't feel as secure as I used to, and watch my surroundings more frequently these days.

We are driving interesting cars, and we all should be more careful than with a run-of-the-mill car.

Jac
Old 02-19-11, 05:26 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

i still cannot figure out the plexico burress thing. just cause he had a handgun on him he spent 2 years in jail?
Old 02-19-11, 07:45 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
i still cannot figure out the plexico burress thing. just cause he had a handgun on him he spent 2 years in jail?
state of NY has a law and I believe NYC has an even stricter law saying that your are not allowed to have a weapon inside a 'night club' especially loaded, and especially on ****... if he was an average joe he would have got more jail time but since we are a back-***-wards society and he is a superstar it is fine and dandy (in the eyes of most of our back-***-wards society) for him to do so. his lawyer must suck *** too cuz most stars would have prolly done half that sentence.

but look on the bright side, at least he didn't kill any dogs in the process
Old 02-19-11, 09:19 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Shooting himself in the leg didn't help any.
Old 02-21-11, 10:23 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Carjacking can also happen while you're driving. I was driving down a ghetto area of the city a while back. As I was driving I note some guys in a Buick following me.. We get to a red light and they are behind me. I was looking in my rearview and I can see they are suspiciously talking to each other. I see the passenger get down quickly and come my way, and that's when the light turns green. I floor it and never look back. I have never driven to that are again!
Old 02-21-11, 10:36 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

My uncle in the Philippines said that crooks there would find a nice car in the mall or shopping centers, wait for the owner to drive off and often follow them until they got home and rob them once they were at their next destination. Point is, even once you've left the parking lot, keep an eye out. His friend with a infiniti fx wasn't so lucky. He wasn't physically harmed but his car got taken
Old 02-21-11, 11:26 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my neighbors (about 6 houses down) in san antonio texas back in 1993 or 1992 were followed home from a movie where the husband had apparently turned around and told these young street youths who were sitting behind them to shut the F*** up numerous times during the film and they followed them home and brutally shot the husband and wife and ransacked their home according to the police report. thankfully the kids were not home though when it happened. i was not allowed to go to this theater for anything cept a matinee after this occurred. i have always been in fear of telling off peoples in a movie theater since this happened but it really hasn't stopped me thus far
Old 02-22-11, 06:54 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
my neighbors (about 6 houses down) in san antonio texas back in 1993 or 1992 were followed home from a movie where the husband had apparently turned around and told these young street youths who were sitting behind them to shut the F*** up numerous times during the film and they followed them home and brutally shot the husband and wife and ransacked their home according to the police report. thankfully the kids were not home though when it happened. i was not allowed to go to this theater for anything cept a matinee after this occurred. i have always been in fear of telling off peoples in a movie theater since this happened but it really hasn't stopped me thus far
yeah we have to be careful when we go places and others are "purposely" disturbing the peace because sometimes they are just looking for an excuse to hurt someone. when you get others around you involved though it can throw a wrench in their plans. I remember a time when 2 rows of people in a theatre were all over a couple of loudmouths and kicked em' out the exit door, the whole theatre applauded thier efforts -